Sky TV fixture changes/weekend evening matches etc

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Weekend evening matches

Post by Nos89 »

I saw the topic raised on the main home site that more games will be played in the evening slot like they do on the continent, and have done for some of the FA Cup matches. I believe the traditional 3pm on Saturday afternoon kick off time is now out of date with the way modern society works. As more and more businesses move to 6 or 7 day weeks this eliminates a chunk of people who want to attend matches, unable to do so because of work commitments. I currently work in retail and being able to get a Saturday off is as frequent as a Petr Cech penalty save. I used to watch the serie A matches, and now the La Liga matches because of the time slots. I would argue that not only have the working class supporters been priced out, but they still cannot attend matches as they now have to work more weekends than they traditionally used to do. I'd encourage the more game move to Saturday/ Sunday evening time slots, might get a better mix of crowd.

augie

Re: Weekend evening matches

Post by augie »

I used to do quite a few day trips for home games - I used to get a morning flight and race back for the saturday evening flight home, but these changes to night games will make it impossible to do so. Tbh I'm not as fixated on the saturday 3pm kick offs as some of ye - I have been to many 3pm kick offs in highbury and it was a shit atmosphere, plus I think it is too late to worry about how it will affect the regular fans cos the demographics will show that they are already outnumbered anyway

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

It will be interesting to see how this impacts on season ticket sales . I read a survey a few years back thast suggested that the majority of season ticket holders at The Arsenal live between 40 and 100 miles from the ground . Evening weekend games would because of our wonderful transport system mean that most will have to travel in by car and then have the slog home late in the evenings.
A 3 oclock kick off finishes at five , so you can still get home and book a table somewhere for about 8 .30. However late weekend kick offs write off that option , 8 oclock kick offs midweek mean for many ,home by midnight can't see that being popular on a saturday family wise and sunday work wise the next day.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

this is the breakdown of Arsenal Premier League matches this season (including the upcoming April games)

Saturday 12.30 - 2 matches
Saturday 3pm - 4 matches :shock:
Saturday 5.30 - 4 matches
Sunday 12pm - 2 matches
Sunday 1.30 - 8 matches :shock:
Sunday 2/2.15 - 3 matches
Sunday 4/4.30 - 3 matches
Monday 8pm - 1 match
Tuesday 7.45 - 1 match
Wednesday 7.45 - 3 matches
Thursday 8pm - 2 matches
Friday 7.45 - 2 matches

7 days a week football is here :x

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

How long before our most expensive or supposedly best player is no longer a feature in those Sly & BT Posters and TV ads...with the images of the top six teams strikers/players all rushing forward in a merged/blurred image.???

DB10GOONER

Re: Sky TV fixture changes/weekend evening matches etc

Post by DB10GOONER »

I've merged this one. Lads you don't need to start a new thread every time you have a thought ffs. Have a look on the front page and post your stuff in existing similar threads. If and I mean only if there is no thread that covers your post then fine start a new thread.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:32 pm
I've merged this one. Lads you don't need to start a new thread every time you have a thought ffs. Have a look on the front page and post your stuff in existing similar threads. If and I mean only if there is no thread that covers your post then fine start a new thread.
Just till the end of the season why not merge All ythe Threads into One! That would mean the Mods only need to loook in One Place/ thread AND Boy It Would Be Fun :D :D :D .All those using quotes from someone else's post, it would be fuckinng mind bending! :lol: - Especially with this new system that doesn't cite who quoted the quote! Go on nnn DB you know you want to - What sweet revenge for the Mod Fraternity. :lol:

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:02 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Just till the end of the season why not merge All ythe Threads into One! That would mean the Mods only need to loook in One Place/ thread AND Boy It Would Be Fun :D :D :D .All those using quotes from someone else's post, it would be fuckinng mind bending! :lol: - Especially with this new system that doesn't cite who quoted the quote! Go on nnn DB you know you want to - What sweet revenge for the Mod Fraternity. :lol:
Only if we get to dedicate it to some of the best threads we've had on here. We could call it the ''My Toshiba TV went on holiday today Corkbarry gifs Wenger thread'' :barscarf:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
The original point was moving games to evening matches at the weekend so it is more accessible to a society that works more at the weekend then it used to. Nothing to do with sky/ TV, more to do with supporters.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:03 pm
this is the breakdown of Arsenal Premier League matches this season (including the upcoming April games)

Saturday 12.30 - 2 matches
Saturday 3pm - 4 matches :shock:
Saturday 5.30 - 4 matches
Sunday 12pm - 2 matches
Sunday 1.30 - 8 matches :shock:
Sunday 2/2.15 - 3 matches
Sunday 4/4.30 - 3 matches
Monday 8pm - 1 match
Tuesday 7.45 - 1 match
Wednesday 7.45 - 3 matches
Thursday 8pm - 2 matches
Friday 7.45 - 2 matches

7 days a week football is here :x
And all 4 Saturday 3pm KOs were at home. Not good for away fans. Might be a bit skewed with Arsenal in Ropey League this season, but even so just 10 Staurday games is low.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:55 am
I used to do quite a few day trips for home games - I used to get a morning flight and race back for the saturday evening flight home, but these changes to night games will make it impossible to do so. Tbh I'm not as fixated on the saturday 3pm kick offs as some of ye - I have been to many 3pm kick offs in highbury and it was a shit atmosphere, plus I think it is too late to worry about how it will affect the regular fans cos the demographics will show that they are already outnumbered anyway
I used to get the train down from the north west and run the gauntlet with large numbers of traveling supporters of the two Mersey teams, and the day shoppers to London. Part of the reason I got fed up of doing it.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:47 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
The original point was moving games to evening matches at the weekend so it is more accessible to a society that works more at the weekend then it used to. Nothing to do with sky/ TV, more to do with supporters.
The basic subject matter of the thread is fixture problems. We don't need two threads on it.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:30 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Only if we get to dedicate it to some of the best threads we've had on here. We could call it the ''My Toshiba TV went on holiday today Corkbarry gifs Wenger thread'' :barscarf:
No spreadable butter, "should I leave" polls, robot cruntmonkeys or Uncle Gus....? :(

:D :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Aaahhhhhh...... the perfect forum..... it is but a dream my friend..... 8)

:wink:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 30441.html

more madness...
I know that the Champions League no longer applies to us but still - 5.55pm ! :lol:

:banghead: :banghead: