Welcome Alexandre Lacazette

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GTG

Re: Welcome Alexandre Lacazette

Post by GTG »

markyp wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:03 am
Sally Cinnamon wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:05 pm
markyp wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:34 pm
BFG4 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:33 pm
I feel sorry for him, as if he goes a few games without a goal, then Wenger will bench him for Giroud. Yet, Giroud can go a half a season without a league goal, and Wenger still sees him as a crucial player :banghead:
The sad thing is Giroud is crucial,hes never been good enough but after another show of shit from Laca today it makes you realise how important the French lampost is.In typical wenger fashion he buys a 50m pound player just to try and prove that his love child Giroud is a worldy and right now its working :shock:
"show of shit" is a bit strong...thought he did alright today.
for 50m???
Its his first few games give the guy a chance. He was a whisker away from scoring a cracker today. Chelsea didnt even start with the man they've spent more money on.

Is he a £50m player by normal standards? No... but football isn't anywhere near normal at the moment and probably never will be again whilst theres all this money about. I think the transfer fee is pretty irrelevant now.... we needed a striker and thats what he cost.

Personally im willing to give him a chance because despite the fact he's not always involved in the game he seems pretty deadly when the chances come along which Giroud certainly isnt

silus

Post by silus »

I thought he did ok yesterday. It was certainly his best performance of the pre season.
It looks as though he's on a hiding to nothing with some people on here just because Wenger signed him.
I can't say I've seen enough of him to say he'll be a success, but I think there's been some encouraging signs. I shall give him time to settle and then judge him on his performances, rather than his price tag or on who signed him.

Sally Cinnamon

Post by Sally Cinnamon »

markyp wrote:
Sally Cinnamon wrote:
markyp wrote:
BFG4 wrote:
I feel sorry for him, as if he goes a few games without a goal, then Wenger will bench him for Giroud. Yet, Giroud can go a half a season without a league goal, and Wenger still sees him as a crucial player :banghead:
The sad thing is Giroud is crucial,hes never been good enough but after another show of shit from Laca today it makes you realise how important the French lampost is.In typical wenger fashion he buys a 50m pound player just to try and prove that his love child Giroud is a worldy and right now its working :shock:
for 50m???
Do you think he's not good enough based on 1 semi-competetive game?

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Bloody hell, I wish this board was around when we signed Henry, especially before he started scoring (which you will all remember took him about 8 games before scoring his first goal for the club.)

Lacazette has the qualities to become a top drawer PL striker but whether or not he does is a different story. The guy only played his first professional game for the club yesterday and while he didn't get a hat trick , which appears to be how he is being measured each game, he did get into some good positions, linked up well with Welbeck on a few occasions and was unlucky to see his shot, which had a pretty good looking curl on it, to hit the post.

During pre-season he played on the wing and also in teams which include raffle ticket winners such as Cohen Bramall and youth players such as Willock and Nelson. It's more likely than not he will need to get used to the pace of the PL and the intensity of PL defenders, that doesn't make him a bad striker nor a bad buy.

It's going to take more than the Emirates Cup and the Community Shield to determine if Lacazette will be a good striker for us or not.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:51 pm
Lacazette has the qualities to become a top drawer PL striker but whether or not he does is a different story.
I'm sure he will get loads of goals but our problem in recent years is that we have scored plenty against the lesser sides but we dissapear when the going gets rough. The question is will he stand up to be counted or will he shrink into his shell like so many before.

markyp

Post by markyp »

Sally Cinnamon wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:17 am
markyp wrote:
Sally Cinnamon wrote:
markyp wrote:
BFG4 wrote:
for 50m???
based on the fact that when ive seen him paly he is just plain average,for us ,france and Lyon

markyp

Post by markyp »

markyp wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:13 pm
Sally Cinnamon wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:17 am
markyp wrote:
Sally Cinnamon wrote:
markyp wrote:

for 50m???
based on the fact that when ive seen him play he is just plain average,for us ,france and Lyon

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

silus wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:59 am
I thought he did ok yesterday. It was certainly his best performance of the pre season.
It looks as though he's on a hiding to nothing with some people on here just because Wenger signed him.
I can't say I've seen enough of him to say he'll be a success, but I think there's been some encouraging signs. I shall give him time to settle and then judge him on his performances, rather than his price tag or on who signed him.
I think that's fair assessment of his performance yesterday - he showed some good movement coming deep at times and clever touches, and most importantly an instinctive ability to create half a yard of space in the box and get a shot away.

He was also generally fairly quiet and didn't threaten to get on the end of any balls into the box. Have to remember we were playing without our creative players like Ozil and Sanchez and he was up against a back three, but overall I don't think I could put it any higher than a middling performance.

Interested to see how he gets on an he has got the ability to provide what we have been missing in terms of strikers for the last 5 seasons - a consistent goalscoring return. Can't say I am creaming myself with excitement but I am pretty confident he will be an improvement and will happily admit that I just haven't seen enough of him at this stage.

jmp442

Post by jmp442 »

Think we've hoped over the past few years we would end up spending big money on a complete striker like Suarez, Benzema etc...and compared to them Lacazette seems quite limited and doesn't seem the type to create some magic on his own.

Big worry that we will still be extremely reliant on Ozil and Sanchez, neither of whom are interested in staying at the club, to provide him quality service.

beck

Post by beck »

Henry took 463 mins to score his1st arsenal goal

markyp

Post by markyp »

beck wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:21 pm
and this is the thing everybody prays we find another Henry,aint gonna happen,Lacazette isn't it

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

markyp wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:58 am
beck wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:21 pm
and this is the thing everybody prays we find another Henry,aint gonna happen,Lacazette isn't it
Henry was a once in a generation type player. As was Bergkamp. We will probably never ever find one (never mind two!) players of that calibre in the next 50 years. I'd be happy enough if we find another Smudger - and fucking delirious if we find another Wrighty.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

A good Lacazette interview with Wrighty :barscarf:

phpBB [video]

Post by 1989 »

La-ca-zette, zette, zette, give him the ball it's in the net,
Lacazette, zette, zette, give him the ball it's in the net,
On his left on his right
In the air he's dynamite
Lacazette, zette, zette, give him the ball it's in the net

augie

Post by augie »

1989 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:09 am
La-ca-zette, zette, zette, give him the ball it's in the net,
Lacazette, zette, zette, give him the ball it's in the net,
On his left on his right
In the air he's dynamite
Lacazette, zette, zette, give him the ball it's in the net

And until the goal on saturday, both him and bangbang were fcuking useless and lazy b.stards too :evil: For all the weekly bashing of our defence, the reality is that if we had the victims forward line we probably would have won on Saturday - when you consider how dominating our midfield was against the victims, it is a shocking indictment that neither of our two goalscorers looked dangerous until wellshit and iwobi came on (or until bangbang went off). It was the lazy arrogance from the 2 of them that wound me up, but tbf it was far more on bangbang than lacazette