KROENKE OUT / The Board / Staff etc (merged thread)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GoonerMuzz

Re: The Board / Wiggy Out / Staff etc (merged thread)

Post by GoonerMuzz »

If you're interested in history lessons then that post is a good read, but history is all it is. As said by others we are the 5/6th richest club in the world and we have one of the highest matchday turnovers in the world. We are financially in a position almost unmatched in European football and the main thing we have in common with the historical lesson above is we currently have owners who are very very reluctant to invest significant amounts of money from which they unlikely to make a significant profit or return.

In other words throughout history we've often been hobbled by owners whose only interested is in making money not winning trophies and often it has been through the sheer skill, luck and bloody mindedness on the part of management and players we've been successful.

So if i'm getting it right from the above article all the hard working people who spend a fortune on tickets, merchandise and whatever else they do to support Arsenal should feel privileged to do so, and should always have felt like this....... kind of feels a bit 'thank you for your interest in our affairs' now trot on peons, and that article is supposedly written by a fan, sounds more like a Kroenke PLC press release :rubchin: :banghead: :banghead:

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:04 pm
we've often been hobbled by owners whose only interested is in making money not winning trophies and often it has been through the sheer skill, luck and bloody mindedness on the part of management and players we've been successful.
The only reason all those who have owned the club have been rich is because of all the money that was spent in the 1920s by Henry Norris and then into the 1930s that made Arsenal the biggest football club in the world at that time. Since then the Hill-Woods and Bracewell-Smiths were more concerned with the claret in the boardroom than what was happening on the pitch.

The success in the early 1970s and the early 1990s was mainly due to a lot of talented youngsters who came through. A by-product of the parsimonious owners who wouldn't spend money on transfer fees.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Bollox to all this Charity Shield, Super Cup, Full Members cup shite & League Centenary Trophy ect. :blah:

Also might as well take away the League Cup wins, a underrated minor completion for reserves & youth players that only really mattered from the late '60's until the founding of the Premier League, mostly due to the European bans caused by Scousers. LC's Arsenal 2, Liverpool 8, Man U 5.

So major trophies it's Man U 37, Liverpool 33, Arsenal 28, Chavs 18 ect:

Not having this we are the 6th biggest club in England, don't forget Arsenal were the best performing English league club of the 20th century & finished top of that league table, :barscarf:

Totally agree with the analysis regarding the lack of ambition of the cúnts serving on the clubs board of directors & ownership since the mid '50's! :cussing: :cussing: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Does this bit remind anyone else of a certain former Board-obsessed American poster? :lol:
No - the owner is not the issue. The Board is the issue. Always has been.
Also I love this bit....
If, like me, you are from Islington and/or grew up in an Arsenal family...
Yeah of course you are. :lol:

Islington. Population 22 million. :wink:

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Since then the Hill-Woods and Bracewell-Smiths were more concerned with the claret in the boardroom than what was happening on the pitch.
Fuck me, I didn’t know ‘Herd’ used to be on the board!! 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

TeeCee wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:18 am
Since then the Hill-Woods and Bracewell-Smiths were more concerned with the claret in the boardroom than what was happening on the pitch.
Fuck me, I didn’t know ‘Herd’ used to be on the board!! 8)
:lol:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

I don't think we need to over analyse the guy's blog - some of his comments are a bit silly but some of them certainly resonated with one or two of us. Whoever worked out the league finish stats was only using them to highlight the point that those of us who have been going since the mid 70s (I know there are some folk on here who go back further) are not feinting over not winning titles or being in the top four for that matter. Whether he is trying to be a bit provocative or not the general vibe of his article was something I could smile at.

Fast forward to 2019 and Deloitte have us down 3 places to No 9 in the club rich list - 5th out of the English clubs and only £10M ahead of the scum so this time next year unless we manage a CL place or they don't there is a very good chance that we will swap positions with them. That's a happy thought isn't it :shock:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:21 pm
I don't think we need to over analyse the guy's blog - some of his comments are a bit silly but some of them certainly resonated with one or two of us. Whoever worked out the league finish stats was only using them to highlight the point that those of us who have been going since the mid 70s (I know there are some folk on here who go back further) are not feinting over not winning titles or being in the top four for that matter. Whether he is trying to be a bit provocative or not the general vibe of his article was something I could smile at.

Fast forward to 2019 and Deloitte have us down 3 places to No 9 in the club rich list - 5th out of the English clubs and only £10M ahead of the scum so this time next year unless we manage a CL place or they don't there is a very good chance that we will swap positions with them. That's a happy thought isn't it :shock:
I'm surprised at you mate. :wink: That jump for the scum is based on the extra revenue from CL and especially Wemberlee. It's a statistical aberration. They will fall back out of the top 10 next season. This alone shows how stats without qualifiers can be bent to say anything someone wants them to say. :roll:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

The 70s etc is a completely different landscape. Back then nobody had the financial dominance to be head and shoulders above the rest every year. If you were the third best side around and had a poor season on and off the pitch, you’d finish tenth. Clubs could get promoted from the second tier and win the title the next year.

These days, to finish outside the top 6 we would have to finish below sides with around a third of our wage budget, if not less. The sort of sides who threatened our top 4 streak included dross like West Brom, Newcastle and Southampton - all spending about 20% as much as we do.

It would have been fucking good going to finish outside the top 4 until City joined Chelsea as a foreign plaything, Liverpool got their act together and Spurs consistently punch well above their weight year on year.

Having a mixed bag as a club half a century ago isn’t the same as finishing a place or two above the likes of Watford these days. Especially not given the lies we were told and the money anybody wanting to go to a game has to pay.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Lots of interesting contributions on who we are and where we are .
I was very lucky because as a kid I saw us win the fairs cup and the double within a short period of time , we had to wait for a league title for 18 years we had a flurry of cup finals in the late 70's and then waited again until the GG era.
I can assure you the League Cup win against the Victims in 87 was a cause for mass celebrations in Islington (population 200 million) and in the boardroom were much claret was drunk and cigars puffed .

The fact is that we still are one of the biggest clubs in the world financialy but for one reason or another the club has been mismanaged and our previous manager has left us with a mountain of shit to flush and a very high wage structure .

It is a credit to Emery that we are getting on with the job and there are some signs of recovery at the club and it's very early in the new era so we will just have to be patient once again but what can be done to improve things at the club that isn't allready bieng done ????

The Ownerhas only been with us since 2007 and only took control in 2011, and it's eary days in his whole owning of the club which only happened a few short months ago . It has cost him about $1.1 Billion to do this .
Thanks to the Uk's ludicrous Bear baiting stance on Russia Ushmanov who had been a stabilizing factor in the club sold out but what has wiggy done wrong so far ????

When he arrived we were a shoe in for the Cl League every year, now when in control and when the manager failed to repeat that 2 seasons running he was replaced so from his viewpoint he's doing the right thing .

Did anyone expect him to put more money into the club ??? Seriously ????
Its not unreasonable to expect a business to run itself and in any other walk of life its ecpected to run at a profit and to generate profits to then pay dividends to shareholders.

Im no Wiggy fan but as Ive asked before who do you want to replace him and what do you expect from an Owner ???

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

northbank123 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:04 am
The 70s etc is a completely different landscape. Back then nobody had the financial dominance to be head and shoulders above the rest every year. If you were the third best side around and had a poor season on and off the pitch, you’d finish tenth. Clubs could get promoted from the second tier and win the title the next year.

These days, to finish outside the top 6 we would have to finish below sides with around a third of our wage budget, if not less. The sort of sides who threatened our top 4 streak included dross like West Brom, Newcastle and Southampton - all spending about 20% as much as we do.

It would have been fucking good going to finish outside the top 4 until City joined Chelsea as a foreign plaything, Liverpool got their act together and Spurs consistently punch well above their weight year on year.

Having a mixed bag as a club half a century ago isn’t the same as finishing a place or two above the likes of Watford these days. Especially not given the lies we were told and the money anybody wanting to go to a game has to pay.
But that's the thing.......70s, 80s or 2019 we're potentially in an era now when we could be back to finishing 6th for a while.......all the financial development has taken place in the game and billions are now tied up in football but what has really changed if we end up back at 6th (except expectations) :lol: That was all the blogger was really saying when you strip out all the shite that was also spoken.

While I'm not quite as reasonable as Herd when it comes to wiggy somebody would have to sit down and work out how much money TOF was allowed to piss up against the wall in terms of shite signings and contract mismanagement etc over the last 10 years. Once we have an accurate assessment of that figure then I guess we would have a better idea of things. As an owner wiggy isn't going to run out the cheque book 5 minutes after the twat in charge has wasted all the money.

herbert

Post by herbert »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:11 pm
northbank123 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:04 am

But that's the thing.......70s, 80s or 2019 we're potentially in an era now when we could be back to finishing 6th for a while.......all the financial development has taken place in the game and billions are now tied up in football but what has really changed if we end up back at 6th (except expectations) :lol: That was all the blogger was really saying when you strip out all the shite that was also spoken.

While I'm not quite as reasonable as Herd when it comes to wiggy somebody would have to sit down and work out how much money TOF was allowed to piss up against the wall in terms of shite signings and contract mismanagement etc over the last 10 years. Once we have an accurate assessment of that figure then I guess we would have a better idea of things. As an owner wiggy isn't going to run out the cheque book 5 minutes after the twat in charge has wasted all the money.
You can find the figures on various places on the internet but they wont add up to Arsene pissing money up against the wall,The last 3 seasons maybe? but 2007 to 2015 will swing it back in his favour

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:00 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:

I'm surprised at you mate. :wink: That jump for the scum is based on the extra revenue from CL and especially Wemberlee. It's a statistical aberration. They will fall back out of the top 10 next season. This alone shows how stats without qualifiers can be bent to say anything someone wants them to say. :roll:
But they are likely to get the extra revenue from CL next season as well...
They are also likely to get increased revenue from their new ground...
They also have far more saleable assets than we do.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:54 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

My concern also. Levy will max the fuck out of comercial opportunities with the new swamp. When you consider how quickly they have caught us up without actually winning anything it's a bit of a worry.

Herbert - previous post, yeah if you take an overall net position you are right. We all know which deals / contracts were shit though and TOF shouldn't be allowed to walk away from them just because he sold off our better players to balance the books. We still end up in a worse position than we should be.

herbert

Post by herbert »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:21 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:54 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

My concern also. Levy will max the fuck out of comercial opportunities with the new swamp. When you consider how quickly they have caught us up without actually winning anything it's a bit of a worry.

Herbert - previous post, yeah if you take an overall net position you are right. We all know which deals / contracts were shit though and TOF shouldn't be allowed to walk away from them just because he sold off our better players to balance the books. We still end up in a worse position than we should be.
Ok mate

Totnum can have all the money in the world and they will still get knocked out in the semi :duh: