Bould/new backroom staff merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Blade

Re: Bould/new backroom staff merged thread

Post by Blade »

not one defender was developed.

A lot went backwards into career oblivion

Senderos,Djouro,Cygan,Stepanovs,Miguel,Gallas,Silvestri,Tavlaridis,Vermaelen,Bartley,Squillaci,Mertesacker,Upson,Monreal,Chambers,Gabriel,Mustafi,Holding

Danluvsafc

Post by Danluvsafc »

And out that twat Akers too. On the payroll for collecting tracksuit tops as the players run out and to tell the 4th official a subs about to be made. Leach of the highest order

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Blade wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:52 pm
not one defender was developed.

A lot went backwards into career oblivion

Senderos,Djouro,Cygan,Stepanovs,Miguel,Gallas,Silvestri,Tavlaridis,Vermaelen,Bartley,Squillaci,Mertesacker,Upson,Monreal,Chambers,Gabriel,Mustafi,Holding

Christ, in fairness mate there is plenty of shite in that list that should never have been anywhere near our place in the first place. Career oblivion was too good for some of them :)

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

should Jens stay as GK coach ?

I saw he was working with the 1st team this morning - I wonder if his advice was " don't get sent off after 20 minutes" :banghead:

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

clockender1 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:28 pm

I saw he was working with the 1st team this morning - I wonder if his advice was " don't get sent off after 20 minutes" :banghead:

Jen's isn't goalkeeper coach. He is just a first-team coach.

Gerry Peyton and Sal Bibbo are the goalkeeper coaches.

Peyton's couldn't coach himself out of an armchair, let alone goalkeepers. Apparently he can barely walk these days due to his knee or hip, which is a blinding attribute to have as a goalkeeping coach of a top flight team. Peyton has been at the club since 2003, we haven't had a top 'keeper since Lehmann and I think the two are linked.

Lehmann probably couldn't be coached and was world class until, arguably, 2007. Eevery 'keeper we have had since then has just been below par and always had issues. Why? Coaching.

The prime example is Wojciech Szczesny (who fell out with Peyton and also said that he learned more from his time at Roma than 10 years at Arsenal) who showed real promise when he burst on the scenes but as seemed to become more and more error prone and the seasons went on. Now? Buffon's successor at Juve. Fabianski, better known as Flappyhandski or the dozey twat who cuts his own hair, always had errors in him and issues while at Arsenal but he seems a much more competent 'keeper at Swansea (I'm not saying he's great but he doesn't make those stupid mistakes that used to cost us points, anymore). Then we come to Cech, aka hlmet head, aka the prat in the hat, aka Kryten, who was revered as a world class goalkeeper when we signed him and now at Arsenal, he looks like he couldn't catch a fucking cold.

I'm so excited to finally be seeing the back of Peyton and having our 'keepers get actual coaching.

I can't comment on Sal Bibbo that much, other than the fact that since he's arrived, Cech has been beaten at his near post more times than I can remember. :rubchin:

Arsenal Till I Die

Always a good sign when your goalkeeper coach looks like he's given Vic Akers a run for his money in the ''t-shirt stretching'' contest. :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

Who is that guy ?? :? :? It aint peyton and it aint jens, so I dunno who he is

NickF

Post by NickF »

Danluvsafc wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:26 pm
And out that twat Akers too. On the payroll for collecting tracksuit tops as the players run out and to tell the 4th official a subs about to be made. Leach of the highest order
bit harsh, every teams has a kit man.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:32 pm
clockender1 wrote:

Peyton's couldn't coach himself out of an armchair, let alone goalkeepers. Apparently he can barely walk these days due to his knee or hip, which is a blinding attribute to have as a goalkeeping coach of a top flight team. Peyton has been at the club since 2003, we haven't had a top 'keeper since Lehmann and I think the two are linked.

Lehmann probably couldn't be coached and was world class until, arguably, 2007. Eevery 'keeper we have had since then has just been below par and always had issues. Why? Coaching.

The prime example is Wojciech Szczesny (who fell out with Peyton and also said that he learned more from his time at Roma than 10 years at Arsenal) who showed real promise when he burst on the scenes but as seemed to become more and more error prone and the seasons went on. Now? Buffon's successor at Juve. Fabianski, better known as Flappyhandski or the dozey twat who cuts his own hair, always had errors in him and issues while at Arsenal but he seems a much more competent 'keeper at Swansea (I'm not saying he's great but he doesn't make those stupid mistakes that used to cost us points, anymore). Then we come to Cech, aka hlmet head, aka the prat in the hat, aka Kryten, who was revered as a world class goalkeeper when we signed him and now at Arsenal, he looks like he couldn't catch a fucking cold.

I'm so excited to finally be seeing the back of Peyton and having our 'keepers get actual coaching.

I can't comment on Sal Bibbo that much, other than the fact that since he's arrived, Cech has been beaten at his near post more times than I can remember. :rubchin:
For me Lehmann was never world class. He was very good for most of the Invincibles season but then he also played behind defenders and midfielders that cut his work rate to almost nothing in many games. A world class keeper wouldn't have given away a stupid petulant penno at Shite Fart drain and jeopardised the unbeaten record and chance to win the title at the swamp, and a world class keeper wouldn't have let his own stupidity and rashness cost us the CL in both 2004 and 2006. Lehmann was too much of a self centred clown too often to be considered truly world class.

And yes accepted Henry bottling two gilt edged one on ones contributed to us losing it in 06.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

NickF wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:53 pm
Danluvsafc wrote:
And a kit man’s son, to be the the junior kit man !

Arsenal Till I Die

augie wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:50 pm
Who is that guy ?? :? :? It aint peyton and it aint jens, so I dunno who he is
That's Sal Bibbo.

Yeah, I've never heard of him either.

Arsenal Till I Die

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:19 am
Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:32 pm
clockender1 wrote:

For me Lehmann was never world class. He was very good for most of the Invincibles season but then he also played behind defenders and midfielders that cut his work rate to almost nothing in many games. A world class keeper wouldn't have given away a stupid petulant penno at Shite Fart drain and jeopardised the unbeaten record and chance to win the title at the swamp, and a world class keeper wouldn't have let his own stupidity and rashness cost us the CL in both 2004 and 2006. Lehmann was too much of a self centred clown too often to be considered truly world class.

And yes accepted Henry bottling two gilt edged one on ones contributed to us losing it in 06.
I understand that. He did always have a really stupid moment in him, as you said at WHL and in Paris, but ultimately he did play a vital role in the unbeaten season. I mean, that defence wasn't completely impenetrable and he pulled off some big, crucial saves at times, and he was influential in getting us to the CL final in 2005/06. The Real Madrid game at Highbury was one of his best performances in an Arsenal shirt, if I remember correctly.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

He also won us the FA Cup in 2005. Was class in the final when we got hammered by United.

For me the biggest stain on his record is the 2004 CL - he got us knocked out and quite probably cost us the trophy in the process. Gave away that stupid goal coming out of his area at Chelsea which we worked hard to get a 1-1 out of, and then when we were absolutely cruising at 1-0 up at home he spilled a simple long-range shot to gift them another goal and it turned the game on its head.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

NickF wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:53 pm
Danluvsafc wrote:
Wasn't he also the women's team head coach for many years?

Nothing wrong with vic 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Lads I'm not saying Lehmann wasn't a very good keeper. He was. All I'm saying is he wasn't truly world class because he fucked up on the big occasions too often. He let his ego and desire to be the centre of attention cloud his judgement too often.