Boro v arsenal fa youth cup

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
beck

Re: Boro v arsenal fa youth cup

Post by beck »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:09 pm
The youth team doesn't really leave me up nor down but if these guys are the sum total of our success over the past 50 years then it doesn't say much for the system!

Pat Rice
Sammy Nelson
David Price
David Hillier
Steve Morrow
Kevin Campbell
Jack Wilshere
Francis Coquelin
Were it so I would agree
But these are only players involved in youth cup wins
In the last 50 years we have also had
Charlie george
Ray Kennedy
Liam Brady
David o'leary
Frank Stapleton
Graham rix
Tony Adams
David rocastle
Martin keown
Nial Quinn
Paul Merson
Michael Thomas
Ray parlour
Ashley Cole
Kieran Gibbs
Wojcitch szcesney
Hector bellerin
All went on to win trophys with the arsenal 1st team

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

beck wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:56 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
The youth team doesn't really leave me up nor down but if these guys are the sum total of our success over the past 50 years then it doesn't say much for the system!

Pat Rice
Sammy Nelson
David Price
David Hillier
Steve Morrow
Kevin Campbell
Jack Wilshere
Francis Coquelin
Were it so I would agree
But these are only players involved in youth cup wins
In the last 50 years we have also had
Charlie george
Ray Kennedy
Liam Brady
David o'leary
Frank Stapleton
Graham rix
Tony Adams
David rocastle
Martin keown
Nial Quinn
Paul Merson
Michael Thomas
Ray parlour
Ashley Cole
Kieran Gibbs
Wojcitch szcesney
Hector bellerin
All went on to win trophys with the arsenal 1st team

There are some great names in there but as per Augie's previous post there are also quite a few names that ain't worth getting too excited over. I can honestly live without seeing another Morrow, Hillier or Selley style midfielder at our place and no matter what you think of big Niall...so so at best. Gibbs no thanks, Hector I thought we nicked him from Barca.

I'm not disputing that some serious talent has come through the ranks over the years but let's keep some perspective on the names. The point I was looking to make albeit not very succinctly is the names thrown up certainly indicate there has been a drop off in the number of players successfully coming through since, dare I say it, the mid 80s, Parlour and Cole. The only two that spring to mind now of any note are Wilshere and Iwobi. One might not be at the club next season and the jury is still out on the other.

augie

Post by augie »

Personally I always liked stephen hughes and was disappointed that he never became a star for us :(

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

augie wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:18 pm
Personally I always liked stephen hughes and was disappointed that he never became a star for us :(
Stewart Robson could have been top top class too.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:31 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:32 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:

Pat Rice
Sammy Nelson
David Price
David Hillier
Steve Morrow
Kevin Campbell
Jack Wilshere
Francis Coquelin
David O'Leary, Frank Stapleton, Liam Brady, Paul Davis, Brendon Batson, Tony Adams, Martin Keown, Martin Hayes, David Rocastle, Michael Thomas, Paul Merson, Ray Parlour, Gus Caesar,Niall Quinn, Andy Cole, Ian Selley, Ashley Cole, Benik Afobe to name a couple more that I can think of that made it through the ranks. That's a proper shit list isn't it?

For the love of christ lads will ye cop yourselves on - listing those donkeys as vindication of our youth set up is nearly as lame as the scum's "honours list" :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
May not have been the best but still made it through and a made over 50 appearances for the first team. Did Gus get league winners medal as he was part of the squad in 88/89?

beck

Post by beck »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:11 am
augie wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:31 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:32 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:

Pat Rice
Sammy Nelson
David Price
David Hillier
Steve Morrow
Kevin Campbell
Jack Wilshere
Francis Coquelin
David O'Leary, Frank Stapleton, Liam Brady, Paul Davis, Brendon Batson, Tony Adams, Martin Keown, Martin Hayes, David Rocastle, Michael Thomas, Paul Merson, Ray Parlour, Gus Caesar,Niall Quinn, Andy Cole, Ian Selley, Ashley Cole, Benik Afobe to name a couple more that I can think of that made it through the ranks. That's a proper shit list isn't it?

For the love of christ lads will ye cop yourselves on - listing those donkeys as vindication of our youth set up is nearly as lame as the scum's "honours list" :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
May not have been the best but still made it through and a made over 50 appearances for the first team. Did Gus get league winners medal as he was part of the squad in 88/89?
No
Ceasar played in 2 games
3-1 win at Everton
1-1 draw home to Sheffield Wednesday
You needed 10 at the time
You now need 5
15 players got medals in 88/89