AC Milan (A) | Europa League R16 L1 | Thu 8 Mar 18:00

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: AC Milan (A) | Europa League R16 L1 | Thu 8 Mar 18:00

Post by StuartL »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:39 pm
They can do it when they want, trouble is they are more consistent at losing...
Which kind of proves that if they can do it now and again Chelsea cup final, etc why are they not performing consistently.
That is down to bad management.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Look, I'm delighted we won but, the truth is, it was a match of really low quality on both sides. Our away results in the league this season are 3 wins from 15; that's how bad we are and AC Milan losing to us at their ground says more about them than us. They were so so poor.

Anyway, I'm still delighted we won. Assuming we get through, the draw is opening up nicely. Many people looked at Napoli, Dortmund, AC Milan and Atletico Madrid, and thought we'd struggle. Yet, Napoli are gone, Dortmund lost at home in their first leg, and we're 2-0 up vs. Milan. Madrid remain favourites, but the way the others are dropping like flies, I wouldn't put it passed Lyon or someone to knock Madrid out for us 8) :lol:

The dream is still alive; we win the UEFA Cup and Wenger fucks off on a high :barscarf:

Brady's left peg

Post by Brady's left peg »

g88ner wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:23 pm
Look, I'm delighted we won but, the truth is, it was a match of really low quality on both sides. Our away results in the league this season are 3 wins from 15; that's how bad we are and AC Milan losing to us at their ground says more about them than us. They were so so poor.

Anyway, I'm still delighted we won. Assuming we get through, the draw is opening up nicely. Many people looked at Napoli, Dortmund, AC Milan and Atletico Madrid, and thought we'd struggle. Yet, Napoli are gone, Dortmund lost at home in their first leg, and we're 2-0 up vs. Milan. Madrid remain favourites, but the way the others are dropping like flies, I wouldn't put it passed Lyon or someone to knock Madrid out for us 8) :lol:

The dream is still alive; we win the UEFA Cup and Wenger signs a contract extension. :barscarf:
Sorted that for you g88ner... and we all know that's what will happen. :banghead:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Brady's left peg wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:28 pm
g88ner wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:23 pm

The dream is still alive; we win the UEFA Cup and Wenger signs a contract extension. :barscarf:
Sorted that for you g88ner... and we all know that's what will happen. :banghead:
:cry:

I said the "dream" is alive; I didn't say anything about reality :x :lol:

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

I enjoyed that on Thursday night, but let's be realistic, Milan are shit. It was noticeable from the first few minutes that their style of play would suit us. Also, they are 7th in a shit Italian league. With the way this season has been going, i'l take any win, but it will be a far different story, when we meet the likes of Athletico.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

BFG4 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:26 am
I enjoyed that on Thursday night, but let's be realistic, Milan are shit. It was noticeable from the first few minutes that their style of play would suit us. Also, they are 7th in a shit Italian league. With the way this season has been going, i'l take any win, but it will be a far different story, when we meet the likes of Athletico.

It says something about the mentality of most Gooners at the moment that virtually all of them thought we would get beaten (or battered) by Milan,
yet after we won it was only because Milan were shit.

They started the season badly, but they were unbeaten in thirteen, hadn't conceded a goal in six and had beaten Lazio and Roma away. They may not be the Milan of old, but we shouldn't rubbish our performance, which was decent, and certainly better than the last half dozen games we've played.

I don't want it to be an excuse for ending the Wenger out campaign, but I'm very happy to have won away in Europe.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:33 am
BFG4 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:26 am

It says something about the mentality of most Gooners at the moment that virtually all of them thought we would get beaten (or battered) by Milan,
yet after we won it was only because Milan were shit.

They started the season badly, but they were unbeaten in thirteen, hadn't conceded a goal in six and had beaten Lazio and Roma away. They may not be the Milan of old, but we shouldn't rubbish our performance, which was decent, and certainly better than the last half dozen games we've played.

I don't want it to be an excuse for ending the Wenger out campaign, but I'm very happy to have won away in Europe.
I'm not suggesting that it wasn't a great performance, but look at how Milan set up, they moved the ball slowly up the field, and allowed us to have possession without ever pressurizing the man on the ball, which suits up perfectly. If the other 19 teams in the league played like this, we wouldn't be 6th in the league. There is a difference between rubbishing a good performance, and bringing a bit of perspective into it.

beck

Post by beck »

Herd wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:18 am
Am i bonkers for thinking we could win this one !
No

beck

Post by beck »

cameron326 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:59 pm
I had Milan down for a narrow victory due to our utter lack of confidence and unreliable defence, but not surprised by this. We've decided to turn up for once and Milan are simple not that good, decent form aside. On paper, 6th in the PL beats 6th/7th in Serie A comfortably.
12/13
Inter Milan ( 9th) 4
Spurs (5th) 1

11/12
Napoli ( 5th ) 2
Man city( champions) 1

09/10
Liverpool( 7th) 1
Fiorentina( 11th) 2

Fiorentina 2
Liverpool 0

08/09
Roma ( 6 th ) 1
Arsenal ( 4th) 0

Roma 3
Chelsea( 3rd) 1

06/07
Milan (4th) 2
Liverpool ( 3rd 1

Milan 3
man utd( champions) 0

Roma (2nd) 2
Man Utd 0

99/00
Fiorentina( 7 th) 2
Man Utd ( champions ) 0

Arsenal( 2nd ) 0
Fiorentina 1

97/98
Vicenza ( 14 th ) 1
Chelsea (4th ) 0

According to some
Milan went from going to tear us a new one at 6 pm
To shit at 6-15

beck

Post by beck »

cameron326 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:11 pm
Take nothing away from us tonight, it's been a very good performance. But let's not get carried away - this Milan team would finish mid table in the Premier League. The famous shirts and stadium don't change that. Still, good performance.
They won 2-0 at Roma a fortnight ago
Who beat Chelsea 3-0 at home and drew 3-3 at Stamford bridge
Chelsea are 5 th

beck

Post by beck »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:02 pm
When you think of AC Milan, you think of Gullit, Rijkard, Van Basten, Seedorf, Kaka etc etc. I think we have just played the Italian version of Arsenal. A team that seems to be in a similar state of decline.
None of those players were on the pitch when kevin prince boating was scoring the first of Milans goals
The last time we played there and lost 4-0

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

The irony is AC Milan are in every sense, barring the overall quality of their league, the Italian us, a formerly great team now floundering around the bottom of the top teams in the league with no chance of improvement in sight....... :rubchin: