AC Milan (A) | Europa League R16 L1 | Thu 8 Mar 18:00

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
xisstential

Re: AC Milan (A) | Europa League R16 L1 | Thu 8 Mar 18:00

Post by xisstential »

g88ner wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:16 pm
sk-gtfo wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:10 pm
g88ner wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:08 pm
Looking forward to this one.

AC Milan are one of the giants of European football, and the San Siro is one of the great stadiums, so regardless of the shite we're serving up at away games up and down England, I'm really hoping for a nice surprise and we leave Milan with the tie still up for grabs.
Come now stop this blatant trolling. :twisted:
ha, no seriously; playing a European knockout round against a European giant like Milan is something worth looking forward to. I'm not exactly optimistic of our chances but you never know; maybe Milan aren't all that special these days either? - we'll see.
No they're probably not but they are unbeaten 11 on the bounce ....and anyway since when do you need to be "special" to beat us?? Stoke, Swansea, Watford, Brighton.... aren't special are they??

I was there yesterday, I have never seen us as bad as we are at the moment.We are just dreadful...that gaping midfield, terrible back four, topped off with arguably the worst keeper in the PL.

But not to worry..................... :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ene-wenger

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

After the jizzing from Milan, Troy and his boyz will be spunking over these under performers....

augie

Post by augie »

xisstential wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:42 am
g88ner wrote:
sk-gtfo wrote:
g88ner wrote:

AC Milan are one of the giants of European football, and the San Siro is one of the great stadiums, so regardless of the shite we're serving up at away games up and down England, I'm really hoping for a nice surprise and we leave Milan with the tie still up for grabs.
ha, no seriously; playing a European knockout round against a European giant like Milan is something worth looking forward to. I'm not exactly optimistic of our chances but you never know; maybe Milan aren't all that special these days either? - we'll see.
No they're probably not but they are unbeaten 11 on the bounce ....and anyway since when do you need to be "special" to beat us?? Stoke, Swansea, Watford, Brighton.... aren't special are they??

I was there yesterday, I have never seen us as bad as we are at the moment.We are just dreadful...that gaping midfield, terrible back four, topped off with arguably the worst keeper in the PL.

Would you not have expected a bigger backlash from the Gooners at brighton yesterday mate ? I accept the apathy feeling argument, but this was a game on sky sports being watched by thousands, and a perfect time to seriously allow the fans voices to be heard imo. Maybe I am being harsh but I seriously thought that he would have been on the end of a continous barrage of abuse/chanting yesterday, with the way the game was going

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

As a business, from the club's perspective it probably made no sense in previous years to knock over the 4th place apple cart. As much as it got boring to many fans, Wenger delivered value for money. And the club thought, "that'll do".

Now, however, it makes no sense whatsoever for the club to persist with a man who failed to get CL football again (he got a free pass last time based on past performance and, arguably, FA Cup success) when there are other guys out there who should/could have got it with the resources he has at his disposal. Forget profit, loyalty, or whatever else. That's just plain common sense. Everyone wants value for money, and Wenger isn't it. That being that case, it wouldn't surprise me if the club has agreed to mutual termination of his contract at the end of the season UNLESS he can deliver CL football (now obviously that must be delivered via the Europa League). IF he wins it, perhaps they will throw him a bone and let him complete his final contract. I doubt enthusiasm for him runs much deeper than that anymore.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

cameron326 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:28 am
As a business, from the club's perspective it probably made no sense in previous years to knock over the 4th place apple cart. As much as it got boring to many fans, Wenger delivered value for money. And the club thought, "that'll do".

Now, however, it makes no sense whatsoever for the club to persist with a man who failed to get CL football again (he got a free pass last time based on past performance and, arguably, FA Cup success) when there are other guys out there who should/could have got it with the resources he has at his disposal. Forget profit, loyalty, or whatever else. That's just plain common sense. Everyone wants value for money, and Wenger isn't it. That being that case, it wouldn't surprise me if the club has agreed to mutual termination of his contract at the end of the season UNLESS he can deliver CL football (now obviously that must be delivered via the Europa League). IF he wins it, perhaps they will throw him a bone and let him complete his final contract. I doubt enthusiasm for him runs much deeper than that anymore.
Wenger does remind me of a dog that needs to be put down at the moment

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

augie wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:48 am
xisstential wrote:
g88ner wrote:
sk-gtfo wrote:
g88ner wrote:

Would you not have expected a bigger backlash from the Gooners at brighton yesterday mate ? I accept the apathy feeling argument, but this was a game on sky sports being watched by thousands, and a perfect time to seriously allow the fans voices to be heard imo. Maybe I am being harsh but I seriously thought that he would have been on the end of a continous barrage of abuse/chanting yesterday, with the way the game was going
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... e-606.html
Can you believe that the fans were fighting each other...there are still people willing to trade blows to protect the man....mind boggling

Augie I was with another forum member who lives in Brighton & with my son in law who also lives there....I was sitting with the Brighton fans listening to them singing "Arsene Wenger we want you to stay" Pretty crap experience Tbh but if I was in the away end I would probably have got into a fight.

The damage Wenger is doing is incalculable :( :( :(

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

No doubt Borini will score, a narrow victory for Milan but I think we'll score an away goal.

MrT

Post by MrT »

This is Wenger's lifeline for staying. A loss is in everyone's best interest.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:01 pm
No doubt Borini will score, a narrow victory for Milan but I think we'll score an away goal.
Can hardly wait...roll on Thursday...

Still time for our beloved manager to save himself...............

GTG

Post by GTG »

xisstential wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:33 am
augie wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:48 am
xisstential wrote:
g88ner wrote:
sk-gtfo wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... e-606.html
Can you believe that the fans were fighting each other...there are still people willing to trade blows to protect the man....mind boggling

Augie I was with another forum member who lives in Brighton & with my son in law who also lives there....I was sitting with the Brighton fans listening to them singing "Arsene Wenger we want you to stay" Pretty crap experience Tbh but if I was in the away end I would probably have got into a fight.

The damage Wenger is doing is incalculable :( :( :(
I was also there yesterday and have done a fair few aways this year unfortunately. For me what im noticing is a lot less of the "same" faces I always seen and a lot more of the half and half brigade and Emirates type fan. The atmosphere has been nowhere near what it usually is..... pre game normally no matter how shit we're doing the concourse is bouncing but not at the games i've done this year.

I think this probably explains why, when the anti wenger chants got going hardly a quarter if that of the away end actually joined in.

There are still fans that are getting into arguments and from what I can see its due to people giving the players abuse then others stating its the manager than picks, buys them etc. A lot of people are getting fed up with what is perceived to being a complete lack of effort for the shirt regardless what they think about Wenger.

There is also the apathy thing which has been mentioned many times before.

Blade

Post by Blade »

Will there be any more crying?

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Coming off the back of 2 correct predictions I’m going for 6-0 to Milan

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

Gattuso and wenger. Both young, hungry, hugely driven managers who wear their hearts on their sleeve and inspire fear and passion into their players in equal measure.

Going to be a ripper of a tie, I'm going 2-0 to Arsenal in the away leg, with a 1-0 home win in the second. Milan will be frustrated by our disciplined, stubborn defence 8) :barscarf:

g60gooner

Post by g60gooner »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:15 pm
Gattuso and wenger. Both young, hungry, hugely driven managers who wear their hearts on their sleeve and inspire fear and passion into their players in equal measure.

Going to be a ripper of a tie, I'm going 2-0 to Arsenal in the away leg, with a 1-0 home win in the second. Milan will be frustrated by our disciplined, stubborn defence 8) :barscarf:
Are we still calling what we have as a back line a 'defence'?
I was going to suggest the 'Dogshit Quintet'.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

MrT wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:19 pm
This is Wenger's lifeline for staying. A loss is in everyone's best interest.

Wenger will be sacked once we are dumped out of the Europa immediately after the home return leg against AC Milan...
I will witness history and celebrate freedom from this tyrant!...