Congratulations Petr Cech

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Congratulations Petr Cech

Post by Nos89 »

Keeping 200 clean sheets is an incredible achievement for a goal keeper. It's tougher than a striker scoring 200 goals in a career. Despite being much maligned on this forum he has kept 38 clean sheets for Arsenal. Given he normally only plays league games that's the equivalent to a whole season without conceding a goal.

Allgunsblazin

Re: Congratulations Petr Cech

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Credit where credit is due, now stop being a bunch of paranoid "he was Chelsea init" and give him a cheer in the Good Old Arsenal way!.... :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

Now that you have achieved that petr, can you please fcuk off and retire ? :roll:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Whoop Whoop. Hurrah! The knackered old chav has got to 200 and saved a penalty. Just fuck off and retire now and we can get someone younger in who actually moves. Oh yeah, and get that stupid fucking thing off your head too.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

The time in the first half when he nearly made a an absolute cluster fuck of a throw out - that’s the Petr Cech that I’ll always associate with Arsenal.

Don’t care how good he was at the Chavs, fact is he’s been an absolute dog shit, mistake riddled keeper for us. Goalkeeper is position number one on this summers transfer agenda, can’t go into next season with the him (or Ospina for that matter) anywhere near the first team.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:10 pm
The time in the first half when he nearly made a an absolute cluster fuck of a throw out - that’s the Petr Cech that I’ll always associate with Arsenal.

Don’t care how good he was at the Chavs, fact is he’s been an absolute dog shit, mistake riddled keeper for us. Goalkeeper is position number one on this summers transfer agenda, can’t go into next season with him (or Ospina for that matter) anywhere near the first team.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Don’t care how good he was at the Chavs, fact is he’s been an absolute dog shit, mistake riddled keeper for us. Goalkeeper is position number one on this summers transfer agenda, can’t go into next season with him (or Ospina for that matter) anywhere near the first team.

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

:roll:

Fucking miserable *word censored*!

Congratulations to Cech. No mean feat and nice that the record was set by someone who was wearing an Arsenal shirt at the time.

:barscarf: :barscarf:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

rodders999 wrote:

Don’t care how good he was at the Chavs, fact is he’s been an absolute dog shit, mistake riddled keeper for us. Goalkeeper is position number one on this summers transfer agenda, can’t go into next season with the him (or Ospina for that matter) anywhere near the first team.
Yep. Absolutely world class at Chelsea - an absolute giant of a player and in the top few keepers of all time in the PL before his head injury.

Shit at Arsenal though. And will continue to be shit next year if Wenger is still here.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

northbank123 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:18 pm
rodders999 wrote:

Yep. Absolutely world class at Chelsea - an absolute giant of a player and in the top few keepers of all time in the PL before his head injury.

Shit at Arsenal though. And will continue to be shit next year if Wenger is still here.
Who else is the there ?
Be careful what you wish for.
He has earnt the right to decide when he leaves

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Slight exaggeration on this thread methinks. :lol:

He hasn't been total shit and, his well documented pennophobia aside, is a far better keeper than the very average Ospina.

That's not to say he is good enough though. He is average to good with a healthy dose of poor performances in there too. He won the Golden Gloves with us a couple seasons ago remember. But he is typical of Wenger's lack of understanding and interest in a solid defensive unit. Way past his best but still better than the other keepers at the club. :|

We need a top keeper in there and a top CH. And a top DM. And a top.... yawn..... :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:24 am

He hasn't been total shit and, his well documented pennophobia aside, is a far better keeper than the very average Ospina.

That's not to say he is good enough though. He is average to good with a healthy dose of poor performances in there too. He won the Golden Gloves with us a couple seasons ago remember. But he is typical of Wenger's lack of understanding and interest in a solid defensive unit. Way past his best but still better than the other keepers at the club. :|

We need a top keeper in there and a top CH. And a top DM. And a top.... yawn..... :roll:

Tbh I dont think that is the case anymore - we all agree that mustafi was woeful for brighton's second goal, but fcuk me cech's inability to get down to make the save was shocking and his reflexes are now at the point that my dead grandmother would be a better option than him these days

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

:roll:
This is what we need you egg chasing winning feckers....lol: :wink:

Rush goalie, also known as a fly goalie or fly keeper, is a variation of association football in which the role of the goalkeeper is more flexible than normal. The goalkeeper position is taken by any player who can run out of and leave his goal to actively participate in outfield play. However, when defending the player returns to his goal and takes up the role of goalkeeper once again, in rush goalie only one player can be the goalkeeper and handle the ball. Once the danger has passed, that player (the "rush goalie") returns to normal outfield play. Rush goalie is only played in informal football matches, usually by children, and often when the players want to play a more active role in the game than the position of goalkeeper would normally allow; it can also be applied when the number of players per side is low.

A rush goalie system can also be used as a way of leveling out teams when playing with an uneven number of players - usually, the team with an extra man will be forced to nominate one player to stay in goal permanently (also known as stick keeper or simply sticks) while the other team is allowed to play rush.

Last Man Back

A different variation to Rush goalie is known as Last Man Back, or 'spider goalie', or monkey rush. In Last Man Back no player is chosen as the goalkeeper for a team, and all players participate in outfield play, usually leaving the position of goalkeeper open. However, when the other team is on the attack, the closest player to the net or the Last Man Back is allowed to handle the ball, taking on the role of goalkeeper. This can create controversy as to who was actually the closest player to the net, so sometimes Nets is played.

In nets players are only allowed to handle the ball in the area provided they have shouted "nets" or "when" (or other regional variants) before touching the ball.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:46 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:24 am

Tbh I dont think that is the case anymore - we all agree that mustafi was woeful for brighton's second goal, but fcuk me cech's inability to get down to make the save was shocking and his reflexes are now at the point that my dead grandmother would be a better option than him these days
You are possibly right there augie. But I just think our CHs look more terrified when Ospina is behind them. Either way for me neither is currently good enough to wear our jersey as fist choice keeper. But what do I know not having worked in football for over 30 yearzzzzzzzzzzzzz....... :roll: :wink:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

How many of those clean sheets did he get for Arsenal though? :shock: :oops: :lol: