Arsenal v CSKA Moscow (H) match thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Re: Arsenal v CSKA Moscow (H) match thread

Post by Nos89 »

falkirk goon wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:40 am
Watched the highlights lastnite and as good a win as it was,Atletico will tear us a new farter if we bump into them.The only way possible to win this cup is if someone else knocks them out..very doubtful imo.

2-0 at the halfway stage. Sporting did create some good chances. It's not impossible for sporting to turn them over in the second leg at home.
To me it seems Atletico are running out of steam in this competition. Energy taken up in pursuit of Barcelona in the league.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

Mustafi, Bellerin, and Kos (sadly because I actually liked him as a player) all need to be replaced next year.

I'm good with Nacho, I think hes pretty good. But the others need to be recycled. And of course we need a new DM. Xhaka has SOME uses in the squad, but not as the every day starting DM.
Last edited by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

double

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:37 pm
Mustafi, Bellerin, and Kos (sadly because I actually liked him as a player) all need to be replaced next year.

I'm good with Nacho, I think hes pretty good. But the others need to be recycled. And of course we need a new DM. Xhaka has SOME uses in the squad, but not as the every day starting DM.

Fully agree re Nacho, he is one of the very few we currently have with any nous and I think a coached Bellerin could be a very good player too.

I am extremely interested about any uses for Xhaka you have found as I've been racking my brains and apart from in the foundations of my new patio I am really struggling to come up with anything :lol:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:34 pm

Fully agree re Nacho, he is one of the very few we currently have with any nous and I think a coached Bellerin could be a very good player too.

I am extremely interested about any uses for Xhaka you have found as I've been racking my brains and apart from in the foundations of my new patio I am really struggling to come up with anything :lol:
I'd replace the entire back 5. Monreal twice followed the ball and ran into the CB territory leaving two players behind him with all the space they needed, fortunately, they could'nt finish.
I'd stay with cech in goal for every match till the end of the season. No need to rotate in this cup competition anymore.
With chambers alongside mustafi I thought we were looking more solid at the back. Despite his experience Koscielny still has a silly unnecessary challenge in his game. It lead to their goal, and it was fortunately not in the penalty area. Still a great free kick from Golovin, we should sign him to replace Jack.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Midz wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:12 pm
Jack had a poor game last night kept giving the ball away. Add this to his likeliness for injuries and I still say we should get rid.
Yep - agree :barscarf: :barscarf:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

If we get through to the final of this, I will liken it to our League Cup experience.....and if we get Atletico in the final it will end with a similar mauling

For Doncaster, Norwich, West Ham Reserves.......read Koln, BATE and Red Star. We've been lucky enough to then draw 2 sets of absolute pubbers in Ostersund and CSKA. The standard in this competition is absolutely abysmal. That CSKA team were nothing short of disgraceful - at one point I thought their defence had been coached by Wenger and Bould. The game was like the sort we used to play over the park until it got dark.....could have finished 17-10 with two absolutely pathetic defences, and end to end basketball type play with not a shred of tactical acumen on either side.

I expect the return game to be something like 3-3 to continue the farcical nature of it all. Its an absolute disgrace that the winner gets a CL spot.

Don't get me wrong, for pure excitement cup football beats that shit that 30,000 people turn up for at the weekends, but the standard really is as bad as I've ever seen in European competition.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:15 am
Jock Gooner wrote:

I'd replace the entire back 5. Monreal twice followed the ball and ran into the CB territory leaving two players behind him with all the space they needed, fortunately, they could'nt finish.
I'd stay with cech in goal for every match till the end of the season. No need to rotate in this cup competition anymore.
With chambers alongside mustafi I thought we were looking more solid at the back. Despite his experience Koscielny still has a silly unnecessary challenge in his game. It lead to their goal, and it was fortunately not in the penalty area. Still a great free kick from Golovin, we should sign him to replace Jack.

Agree 100% re monreal 8)

There are different types of brainless footballers - there are ones who cant read the game that well but are disciplined/humble enough to just play their position, and then there is monreal who spends much of his time running around all over the place waving his hands in the air without a clue of what is going on around him. Has it escaped peoples attention that much of our early woes the other night was coming down his wing ? As an old school guy I like my defenders to defend first and foremost, but it seems that the goals he has scored has distracted people from watching his defensive decline

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:16 am
Nos89 wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

Agree 100% re monreal 8)

There are different types of brainless footballers - there are ones who cant read the game that well but are disciplined/humble enough to just play their position, and then there is monreal who spends much of his time running around all over the place waving his hands in the air without a clue of what is going on around him. Has it escaped peoples attention that much of our early woes the other night was coming down his wing ? As an old school guy I like my defenders to defend first and foremost, but it seems that the goals he has scored has distracted people from watching his defensive decline

I think that we are being a bit harsh here folks. Bellerin, Kos and Nacho are decent players but because of a lack - of coaching, shape, discipline in front of them and various other faults which invariably stem from TOF they become an easy target. I defend Nacho because he at least, in a team of spineless wonders, seems to actually give a shit.

I certainly agree that a new keeper and a proper centre half would be a great start but to replace all five - in a oner? While I understand the frustration, that's surely going to be a case of going from bad to worse. However all this is academic because as with all things Arsenal at the moment it wouldn't make a difference if a reincarnated version of our old back five suddenly materialised from outer space because the fuckwit that is OGL would manage to make a dogs dinner out of them! It really won't matter who we leave exposed in defence until such time as he fucks off and please please let it be before 2025 - that shit really ain't funny!!

augie

Post by augie »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:39 am
augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

Agree 100% re monreal 8)

I think that we are being a bit harsh here folks. Bellerin, Kos and Nacho are decent players but because of a lack - of coaching, shape, discipline in front of them and various other faults which invariably stem from TOF they become an easy target. I defend Nacho because he at least, in a team of spineless wonders, seems to actually give a shit.

I certainly agree that a new keeper and a proper centre half would be a great start but to replace all five - in a oner? While I understand the frustration, that's surely going to be a case of going from bad to worse. However all this is academic because as with all things Arsenal at the moment it wouldn't make a difference if a reincarnated version of our old back five suddenly materialised from outer space because the fuckwit that is OGL would manage to make a dogs dinner out of them! It really won't matter who we leave exposed in defence until such time as he fucks off and please please let it be before 2025 - that shit really ain't funny!!

Not disagreeing one jot but the reality is that, at their age, it is too late for them to change even if a new manager came in - with bellerin we can hope that a new tactically astute manager that commands respect from his players would turn his career around, but alas I fear that his attitude and arrogance have gone too far to recover

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:03 am
Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:39 am
augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

Agree 100% re monreal 8)

Not disagreeing one jot but the reality is that, at their age, it is too late for them to change even if a new manager came in - with bellerin we can hope that a new tactically astute manager that commands respect from his players would turn his career around, but alas I fear that his attitude and arrogance have gone too far to recover

Yeah, fair point given both are 32 now. Bellerin is a real shame because a proper manager would never have allowed the kid to become such a dick while learning his trade. Could you imagine Fergie letting any of the class of 92 wander around in public wearing PJs, slippers and spouting bullshit. He'd have had a fit. You can understand why he kept them under wraps the way he did. The best thing for Hector would be a summer move to Spain to get himself and his game back on track which will not happen here with TOF. Yet another example of non existent man management and incompetence from OGL.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Not watched any of it and couldn't care less, I'm surprised so many on here bother to watch us, I mean I'm one of the more optimistic but really haven't watched us hardly at all this season.

I won't watch tomorrow or the return in Russia and won't until Wenger leaves and I can get excited about football again.

This dinosaur still in charge coupled with the disgusting amount of money that quite frankly bang average players earn really ruins football for me anyway.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:18 pm
Not watched any of it and couldn't care less, I'm surprised so many on here bother to watch us, I mean I'm one of the more optimistic but really haven't watched us hardly at all this season.

I won't watch tomorrow or the return in Russia and won't until Wenger leaves and I can get excited about football again.

This dinosaur still in charge coupled with the disgusting amount of money that quite frankly bang average players earn really ruins football for me anyway.

Oh go on, admit it, you do care a little bit :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:11 pm

:lol:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:11 pm

:lol:
But while there is a manure v shitty game on I'm ordering a part for my hot tub then getting ready to go out on the town on a family do.

Once upon a time I would always watch the football or at least record it.

In fact it's gotten that bad I've been watching golf lately :shock: