Save the Gooner - AFTV

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Save the Gooner - AFTV

Post by DB10GOONER »

Top work Princess B-Zil and all on the editorial /production staff. 8)

The Gooner fanzine was always part of my matchday routine.... beers on plane over, fry up at the Indian cafe up near Finsbury Park station, buy a few copies of the Gooner for any mates that hadn't made that particular game.....

The Gooner fanzine is an Arsenal institution and I encourage all Gooners on here to not let it go the way so many of our wonderful old traditions and institutions have gone under Wenger. :|

Will subscribe this week. 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gonna sticky this one.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Will subsribe end of the month when I get paid. :barscarf:

Like many I used to buy the Gooner before/instead of a programme, unless it was a special match against the scum or manure.

It seems that the tourists will spend their spondoolies on everything and anything from the armoury or with the Arsene FC brand on them.

So yes, we MUST keep this alive, it's sales have also been adversely affected by those of us who no longer go to home games in our small attempts to boycott the regime's profit making. :?

#justfuckoffwengeryoucuntbag

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:09 pm
I wish them luck, but I suspect they are trying to hold back the tide. Printed newspapers and magazines are disappearing in droves. I occasionally buy the sunday papers when I'm in England, but every other day I read them online, and I'm an not one of these youfs who are surgically attached to their mobiles. They might be better going with the flow and preparing for the inevitable.
So true, everything is "Byte Size" now, save the trees and all that!...

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Basil is a Gooner wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:25 pm
g88ner wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:56 pm
Thanks Basil.

Given that so many of us on here have enjoyed the free service of the online gooner forum for so many years, it would be very disappointing indeed if a significant number of forum members weren't subscribing to the fanzine.

Reading the gooner fanzine on the train home with my dad was a part of my match day. I've thrown many copies away over the years but I've kept all of the 1997/98 fanzines and still pick one up from time to time. I sometimes wrote in to the gooner and was always pleased to see I'd made it into the letters section.

Come on people, support the gooner! (My auto correct keeps trying to change gooner to goner... let's also prove auto correct wrong! :lol: )
Thanks G8ner :wink: although how could you throw them away?!
Think I threw quite a few away too, storage, time to test the Cloud with my subscription!
Minimalist Culture Bas, save the earth and rainforests!.... :blah: :blah: :blah:

Basil is a Gooner

Post by Basil is a Gooner »

gazzatt2 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:55 am
How many have signed up so far ?
Hi the last time I heard it was just over half the amount needed so still a long way to go - so anyone thinking about it please do so!

Basil is a Gooner

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:38 am
Top work Princess B-Zil and all on the editorial /production staff. 8)

The Gooner fanzine was always part of my matchday routine.... beers on plane over, fry up at the Indian cafe up near Finsbury Park station, buy a few copies of the Gooner for any mates that hadn't made that particular game.....

The Gooner fanzine is an Arsenal institution and I encourage all Gooners on here to not let it go the way so many of our wonderful old traditions and institutions have gone under Wenger. :|

Will subscribe this week. 8)
Thanks my favourite mod! :wink: :barscarf: 8)

Basil is a Gooner

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:37 am
Basil is a Gooner wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:25 pm
g88ner wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:56 pm
Thanks Basil.

Given that so many of us on here have enjoyed the free service of the online gooner forum for so many years, it would be very disappointing indeed if a significant number of forum members weren't subscribing to the fanzine.

Reading the gooner fanzine on the train home with my dad was a part of my match day. I've thrown many copies away over the years but I've kept all of the 1997/98 fanzines and still pick one up from time to time. I sometimes wrote in to the gooner and was always pleased to see I'd made it into the letters section.

Come on people, support the gooner! (My auto correct keeps trying to change gooner to goner... let's also prove auto correct wrong! :lol: )
Thanks G8ner :wink: although how could you throw them away?!
Think I threw quite a few away too, storage, time to test the Cloud with my subscription!
Minimalist Culture Bas, save the earth and rainforests!.... :blah: :blah: :blah:
Dont save the earth and rainforest - save the Gooner! :wink:

RobG

Post by RobG »

Well done Basil. Keep spreading the word and we will get there. :barscarf: :barscarf:

herbert

Post by herbert »

Basil is a Gooner wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:28 am
gazzatt2 wrote:
Hi the last time I heard it was just over half the amount needed so still a long way to go - so anyone thinking about it please do so!
I hope our new celebrity fans are pushing this on there social media outlets? Should easy get the 1000 if they are

I will sign up in anticipation that at least 8 of the new 16 pages are pro anything Arsenal :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

herbert wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:25 pm
Basil is a Gooner wrote:
gazzatt2 wrote:
I hope our new celebrity fans are pushing this on there social media outlets? Should easy get the 1000 if they are

I will sign up in anticipation that at least 8 of the new 16 pages are pro anything Arsenal :lol:
:lol:

Best of luck with that Herbert! :wink:

But in all honesty (and I'm sure you know yourself) Gooner Ed and the team try to achieve a mix of viewpoints. He once rejected an article I wrote for being nothing more than a rant.... and he was right.... it was.... :lol: :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:14 pm
herbert wrote:
Basil is a Gooner wrote:
gazzatt2 wrote:

But in all honesty (and I'm sure you know yourself) Gooner Ed and the team try to achieve a mix of viewpoints. He once rejected an article I wrote and called me a c.unt.... and he was right.... i am.... :lol: :wink:

Fair assessment I would say 8)

herbert

Post by herbert »

augie wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:00 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:14 pm
herbert wrote:
Basil is a Gooner wrote:
gazzatt2 wrote:

But in all honesty (and I'm sure you know yourself) Gooner Ed and the team try to achieve a mix of viewpoints. He once rejected an article I wrote and called me a c.unt.... and he was right.... i am.... :lol: :wink:

Fair assessment I would say 8)

Basil is a Gooner

http://www.onlinegooner.com/article.php ... ve&id=3792

Save The Gooner! Campaign Update

By Kevin Whitcher

Latest on the drive to secure the fanzine’s future

Okay people, so a good number of correspondents by email, tweeters and people I see face to face have been asking… how close are we getting to the 1,000 necessary advance subscribers for next season?

As I write, and I haven’t had time to tot up the additional ones that have come in over the weekend, we have between 650 and 700 paid up readers. Final decision will be made on the Easter Bank Holiday Monday (2nd April), the day when issue 271 – the final one this season – goes to press.

So what are we going to do between now and then to get the extra 300 odd? As well as our own efforts, we’ve had great support from both Arseblog and Arsenal Fan TV to get the message out, but now, it’s down to us.

So the next two days sees yours truly email something in the region of 10,000 plus email addresses we have collated over the years, and then sit back and see what the response is. I need to get cracking on that as in terms of bulk emailing, I need to be a bit clever to get around the gmail restrictions on sending out these things – and there is a chance that if you have already subscribed by online bank transfer or cheque you will also get this email – in which case apologies and please ignore it. Anyhow, I’ll simply reproduce the text of the email below and if you wish to commit – even better. It’s over to you good people – if enough of you want it, The Gooner will survive beyond the end of this season!

Here’s the email which you could well be getting over the next 48 hours…

Subject: Urgent– Save The Gooner Fanzine (deadline end of March)

Dear Arsenal Fan,

We are sending this email to you because we have your address from:
1. an email to The Gooner,
2. a payment to The Gooner at some point in recent years,
3. you have completed the annual online Gooner survey or
4. you have been cc’d on an Arsenal related email that we have also received.
Many apologies for filling your inbox if you are not interested, but this is a needs must situation as we try to raise enough subscribers to continue The Gooner fanzine in print form after the end of the current season.

Additionally, it is possible that you are one of the 650-700 people who have already committed to The Gooner next season by paying in advance for a subscription. If so, many apologies. We have tried to filter out those who have subscribed, but there will doubtless be a few that slipped through the net, given the number of addresses this is being sent to. This is more likely if you have paid by cheque or online bank transfer.

So, what’s this all about? In brief, The Gooner fanzine – an independent unofficial magazine written by Arsenal supporters for Arsenal supporters has been publishing since 1987 and to survive, we need to change the model of how we sell the fanzine to make it viable. This means producing a 64 page magazine six times next season and securing 1,000 advance postal subscribers in the UK and abroad to do so. Previously, we could survive on sales made outside Arsenal matches home and away, but that is no longer the case for a number of reasons, not least falling attendances, the huge variety of kick off days and times meaning the matchday routine is a thing of the past for many and more fans getting their football opinion online. Wet and cold weather hasn’t helped much this season either!

However, there is a hardcore audience for The Gooner, and we hope it is big enough to allow us to continue. If you have not seen the fanzine for a while, you can download a pdf of an issue from earlier this season by clicking on this link.

If you like what you see please consider subscribing for £30 (or £42 if outside the UK) to receive six issues (with an extra 16 pages each) next season. To put this into your Arsenal-spending context, £30 would not buy you the cheapest adult priced lower tier seat to watch Arsenal play the likes of Stoke or other ‘Grade B’ opposition in the Premier League, and we are confident you will get more value for your money over the course of a season than you often will in 90 minutes.

There are a number of ways to subscribe (NB – If we do not make our target of 1,000 by Easter Sunday (April 1st) and decide not to continue, everyone who has paid £30 will be refunded in full by the end of May).

1. With a credit or debit card through the shop section of our online store at our http://www.onlinegooner.com website.
UK orders – click here.
Orders outside UK – click here.
And there are other options on the subscriptions page that include receiving this season’s issues as well. Those can all be seen here.

2. By post – Send a cheque for £30 (£42 for addresses outside of the UK) for a 2018/19 season subscription made payable to ‘The Gooner’ to this address -
The Gooner
12 Buxton Court
Hanbury Drive
London
E11 1GB
(You may wish to - download this Save The Gooner! pdf form and return it in your envelope of you wish to pay by cheque). NB – To save admin costs, we will only cash cheques if we do reach our target to continue next season. If we do not, we will simply destroy any cheques to save on postage costs.

3. Via online bank transfer, making a payment of £30 (or £42 for addresses outside of the UK) to –
Account name: The Gooner
Sort Code: 20-76-90
Account Number: 03004112
Use the reference 1819 followed by your surname. Very important - please follow up the payment with an email to [email protected] stating your name and address, and the reference that you used for payment (e.g. 1819Smith). Otherwise, we will not be able to match the payment to you. (If you require Iban and Bic codes for an international payment, please email us at [email protected].

4. You can also simply make a direct PayPal payment to the email address [email protected] for £30 (or £42 if outside UK). If doing this, please make your payment a 'friends and family' / personal gift payment – this helps keep our costs down. If you have the time to confirm you have paid this way with an email to [email protected], even better, although we will see the payment on the PayPal account with your address details.

Finally, whether we survive as a printed fanzine or not, we may in the future email you about special projects. If you do not wish to receive such emails, please unsubscribe by replying to this email with the word ‘Unsubscribe’ in the subject line and we will remove your address from our list.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Unless I've missed it, it's a bit of a shame arseblog hasn't mentioned the gooner on his daily blog. I'm assuming he was asked to mention it? :?

Anyway, I woke up this morning to see "urgent - save the gooner fanzine" on my phone screen. No idea how my phone selected that email to display on my home page but glad it did :barscarf: