Butland for Next Season ?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
RobG

Butland for Next Season ?

Post by RobG »

Given our needs for an 'affordable' overhaul - what's the feeling on JB ? I reckon he would be good.

He'd almost certainly be available and affordable, whether Stoke stay or fall.

There is no way we will get the Athletico keeper, unless we kidnap him. Butland needs no intro' to the Prem'

Thoughts....?

northbank123

Re: Butland for Next Season ?

Post by northbank123 »

we would probably have a free run at him, unless de Gea finally leaves United.

I think he’s a decent keeper and we are desperate in that department. I would definitely look at him - he’s 25 so if it comes off it’s a great investment.

Looking at Pickford last year as a benchmark then he will probably cost about 30-35mil, even if stoke go down.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

My only objection is that he always seems to be injured. We've had enough of that for years, we don't need to sign another perma crock. Considering his position and the fact that we would be signing a 'keeper to replace the Prat in the Hat as number one, it wouldn't be wise to sign to goalkeeping equivalent of Diaby.

Great young 'keeper, though. His consistent injuries are a concern, though.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

I've liked him since I saw him in the Olympics and the last keeper that came from Birmingham FC did pretty well for us.

However, the Victims may well be interested and they'll have CL football to offer.

It'd be nice to have a least one Englishman in the team after Jack leaves.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I'd rather stick one of the oil drums from my garage between the sticks rather than have that helmet headed Chav c.unt ever wear the jersey again, so Butland would definitely be a big improvement.

If you want a more balanced opinion on this young Englishman though I suggest you get the unbiased views of Goonersid. Darren Randolph might be available you know :D

markyp

Post by markyp »

id take him although this time last year id have taken Forster but WTF has happened to him?? I imagine Liverpool will move for Butland anyway so we have zero chance,why would anybody join us when you play in front of just 30,000 silent supporters in an empty stadium?

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

i'm always a bit unsure about getting a goalkeeper from a relegated team. A great keeper, which is the type of goalie we need, would do better than conceded as many goals as stoke have. Forster has been injured and missed the last 12 games, notably, Southampton have sunk in his absence, as well as van Dijk moving.
I'd be looking at a keeper like Kasper Schmeichel or Pope at Burnley who has only got his opportunity because of Heaton's injury. But, it doesn't matter which keeper we get as long as we have as long as we have the goalkeeping coaching staff we currently have at the club.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Butland would be a good shout if we didn't have a buthole :oops: at the helm.

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

DeGea would look shit in front of our back 4 and lack of a DM.On form this season the best English keeper is Pope but thats not saying much.Butland reminds me of Hart

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Butlins for next season? :rubchin:

Prefer the wilds of Mexico myself. :D

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:54 am
Butlins for next season? :rubchin:

Prefer the wilds of Mexico myself. :D
:D

g60gooner

Post by g60gooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:48 pm
i'm always a bit unsure about getting a goalkeeper from a relegated team. A great keeper, which is the type of goalie we need, would do better than conceded as many goals as stoke have. Forster has been injured and missed the last 12 games, notably, Southampton have sunk in his absence, as well as van Dijk moving.
I'd be looking at a keeper like Kasper Schmeichel or Pope at Burnley who has only got his opportunity because of Heaton's injury. But, it doesn't matter which keeper we get as long as we have as long as we have the goalkeeping coaching staff we currently have at the club.
I like Pope. I'm surprised he is below Butland and Pickford, who are playing for shit teams. He has quietly gone about his business and the stats show he is far and away the best English keeper.
He does have a good coach and well drilled defenders in front of him though, so playing behind our clueless shower of cuunts would expose him a bit more than he has been this year.

augie

Post by augie »

g60gooner wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:11 pm
Nos89 wrote:
I like Pope. I'm surprised he is below Butland and Pickford, who are playing for shit teams. He has quietly gone about his business and the stats show he is far and away the best English keeper.
He does have a good coach and well drilled defenders in front of him though, so playing behind our clueless shower of cuunts would expose him a bit more than he has been this year.

History has taught us that keepers in shit teams will always have more to do and will look better as a result - however when these keepers go to a big club (foster to manure for example), they have much less to do but are found wanting when needed. Concentration is obviously a big thing for keepers, and some keepers are simply unable to keep their concentration at the required level if they have nothing to do for long periods of the game.

This time last year all of the league were raving about tom heaton and now that he is out injured it is his back up that is getting all the plaudits - personally I want us to sign a proven quality keeper playing for a mid-level club (as opposed to a small club like burnley), cos I feel that a keeper playing for a side like everton or leicester or ajax, will be used to playing at a club that has expectations and puts demands on their players to reach high standards.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

augie wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:43 pm
g60gooner wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

History has taught us that keepers in shit teams will always have more to do and will look better as a result - however when these keepers go to a big club (foster to manure for example), they have much less to do but are found wanting when needed. Concentration is obviously a big thing for keepers, and some keepers are simply unable to keep their concentration at the required level if they have nothing to do for long periods of the game.

This time last year all of the league were raving about tom heaton and now that he is out injured it is his back up that is getting all the plaudits - personally I want us to sign a proven quality keeper playing for a mid-level club (as opposed to a small club like burnley), cos I feel that a keeper playing for a side like everton or leicester or ajax, will be used to playing at a club that has expectations and puts demands on their players to reach high standards.

I agree, but in Butland's case, he's played at, and looked good at, international level. Plus, he's got PL experience. He's also a big unit which I think is useful in a keeper.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:29 pm
augie wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:43 pm
g60gooner wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

I agree, but in Butland's case, he's played at, and looked good at, international level. Plus, he's got PL experience. He's also a big eunuch which I think is useful in a keeper.
:shock:

Errr if you say so Jo! :shock:

:wink: