Your choice as manager/Arteta Merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Who Do YOU Want As Next Arsenal Manager

Ancelotti
21%
Tuchel
1%
Allegri
49%
PV4
6%
Enrique
2%
Jardim
5%
Nagelsmann
1%
Rodgers
1%
Arteta
3%
Others
12%

Total votes: 127

NickF

Re: Arteta

Post by NickF »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:05 am
supergeorgegraham wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:52 am
From a few sources I heard that Arteta turned the job down because he would have had no input on transfers.
It would have been a massive gamble but I'm guessing that he will make a very good manager in the future.
makes sense as Emery was apparently interviewed a couple of weeks ago.
Hmm sounds like we have appointed the second choice option - though no doubt Gazidis will not spin it like that.
Not sure how Emery would be a second-choice appointment to Arteta?? :?

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Gunner Rob wrote:
supergeorgegraham wrote:
From a few sources I heard that Arteta turned the job down because he would have had no input on transfers.
It would have been a massive gamble but I'm guessing that he will make a very good manager in the future.
Hmm sounds like we have appointed the second choice option - though no doubt Gazidis will not spin it like that.
The Spanish sky reporter has his own you tube channel and yesterday he was saying that Arsenal were trying to convince Arteta to sign mainly because he would have no input on transfers. He also said that he believes Arteta is ready to manage a top club and pointed out it's easier because top clubs have better players and Arteta has improved players such as Sterling while at City.
Guess talks broke down and we went for Emrie instead

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:16 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
supergeorgegraham wrote:
The Spanish sky reporter has his own you tube channel and yesterday he was saying that Arsenal were trying to convince Arteta to sign mainly because he would have no input on transfers. He also said that he believes Arteta is ready to manage a top club and pointed out it's easier because top clubs have better players and Arteta has improved players such as Sterling while at City.
Guess talks broke down and we went for Emery instead

NickF

Post by NickF »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
supergeorgegraham wrote:
So nothing to do with the French league finishing at weekend and the announcement on Monday?
To be honest, the newspapers have been full of absolute garbage about our manager hunt the last few weeks. Wouldn't surprise me if the whole Arteta thing was just made up to troll Arsenal fans.....

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
supergeorgegraham wrote:
Only one man has improved Sterling imo and that is Guardiola. Despite that and Sterling’s incredible goal haul we saw vs Manure in the league that when he’s under pressure and needs to produce quality, he bottles it. I suspect we will see more of the same with England in the WC.

It was a huge risk appointing Arteta, I think Gazidis and Kroenke factored in the players opinions on Arteta. Better to have fresh blood. Then they won’t think they can take liberties, especially Ozil and Bellerin.

herbert

Post by herbert »

NickF wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:51 am
supergeorgegraham wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
supergeorgegraham wrote:
So nothing to do with the French league finishing at weekend and the announcement on Monday?
To be honest, the newspapers have been full of absolute garbage about our manager hunt the last few weeks. Wouldn't surprise me if the whole Arteta thing was just made up to troll Arsenal fans.....
One of the reasons that Arteta went from 10/1 to 1/10 on was because he enrolled his kids back into there old school in Hampstead the day before the money came for him and there is no question he was in the running for the job

I have nothing against Arteta and I would have supported him fully and it is obvious that within football he is very respected has a coach but this Emery fella is the kind of appointment that we need at this moment in time

NickF

Post by NickF »

herbert wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:37 pm
One of the reasons that Arteta went from 10/1 to 1/10 on was because he enrolled his kids back into there old school in Hampstead the day before the money came for him and there is no question he was in the running for the job
Was he also spotted house hunting?
Gonna be a hell of a school run from Manchester... :D :D

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Complete bollocks to think Arteta turned the job down. He would be looking a gift horse in the mouth.

The press got carried away trying to outdo each other with exclusive scoops that were essentially just making up that talks had become more advanced etc. Just like with transfer rumours. He never got anywhere near getting appointed as was suggested.

herbert

Post by herbert »

NickF wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:43 pm
herbert wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:37 pm
Was he also spotted house hunting?
Gonna be a hell of a school run from Manchester... :D :D
:lol: Have you ever seen or been stuck in the Hampstead school run :banghead: 4x4s everywhere, with little Albert in the back, it might be quicker coming from Manchester

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Arteta turned it down :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

Relieved he's not getting the top job over here. Would have been glad to have him as Emery's assistant manager but I think he's better off being the main man at a club like Swansea to begin his management career. If he wants to come here as a manager in the future (5-10 years from now) he should really consider getting experience at a club like Everton for a few seasons before he comes here. He's more of a legend over there than he ever was over here and could suit them well.

herbert

Post by herbert »

flash gunner wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:25 pm
Not so Flash apparently he is stunned by Emery being chosen :shock:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

flash gunner wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:25 pm
Yeah and I turned down a gob job from our Nat and all.

The press have gone above and beyond themselves in the bullshit stakes over this one. So much made up crap regurgitated on to the back pages over the past few weeks.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:29 pm
Relieved he's not getting the top job over here. Would have been glad to have him as Emery's assistant manager but I think he's better off being the main man at a club like Swansea to begin his management career. If he wants to come here as a manager in the future (5-10 years from now) he should really consider getting experience at a club like Everton for a few seasons before he comes here. He's more of a legend over there than he ever was over here and could suit them well.
yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts too - as a player, I really liked him at Everton. He was probably their best player. but the ex-manager coached it out of him.

he should do another two years at City and then take a position, put the years in and then he'd be a strong candidate for us or City.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

am i correct in thinking hes not even peps number 2, hes number 3 effectively?