Expectations for Next Season

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
JimmyAFC

Re: Expectations for Next Season

Post by JimmyAFC »

My expectations are to go and win the league because finally we will have a manager who will coach the side, implement tactics, play players in their proper positions and actually MANAGE a football team.

Yipee!! What a relief. A football manager will actually be managing the team and not the whole f***** club like the TOF.

I'm excited.

augie

Post by augie »

I expect a few things -

1. A manager that can motivate and who will not accept lazy half arsed performances - these players need to know that their carefree days are over at AFC

2. A manager that not alone understands tactics, but recognises the value of them and is able to coach and impliment them.

3. I need the incoming manager to recognise the priority areas that need addressing, and make genuine efforts to fix them - a top quality keeper, DM and centre back has to be the absolute priority, and anything after that (preferably a left back) would be a bonus for me

4. I need an awareness and acceptance from all the fanbase that there is no quick fix to this malaise, and it will take time to get the club challenging again - for me it is pointless putting an expectation of where we will finish next season cos this is a squad low on talent (and probably about to lose wilshere (and I suspect ramsey and one or two other first 11 players), and the squad will need a major injection of quality and that simply will not happen in one transfer window.

5. Finally I need the club to strive to be winners again and do everything in their power to do so - falling short is ok as long as they (the board, managers, coaches and players) have done everything they could to be winners, but I cannot accept a mindset where our ambitions go no higher than finishing top 4 each season, and where merely qualifying for knockout stages of champs league is considered as success

Post by 1989 »

We're gonna win the league and Wenger will squirm. Knowing the arrogant sod, he would probably claim that it was his team that he built that ended up winning it so he should get all the credit instead. :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

1989 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:26 am
We're gonna win the league and Wenger will squirm. Knowing the arrogant sod, he would probably claim that it was his team that he built that ended up winning it so he should get all the credit instead. :roll:

In contrast to how he never acknowledged that he took over a team that had a core of league winners in the team :roll:

wilko49er

Post by wilko49er »

Top manager, then we should get top 4. Anything else who knows.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

augie wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:40 am
I expect a few things -

1. A manager that can motivate and who will not accept lazy half arsed performances - these players need to know that their carefree days are over at AFC

2. A manager that not alone understands tactics, but recognises the value of them and is able to coach and impliment them.

3. I need the incoming manager to recognise the priority areas that need addressing, and make genuine efforts to fix them - a top quality keeper, DM and centre back has to be the absolute priority, and anything after that (preferably a left back) would be a bonus for me

4. I need an awareness and acceptance from all the fanbase that there is no quick fix to this malaise, and it will take time to get the club challenging again - for me it is pointless putting an expectation of where we will finish next season cos this is a squad low on talent (and probably about to lose wilshere (and I suspect ramsey and one or two other first 11 players), and the squad will need a major injection of quality and that simply will not happen in one transfer window.

5. Finally I need the club to strive to be winners again and do everything in their power to do so - falling short is ok as long as they (the board, managers, coaches and players) have done everything they could to be winners, but I cannot accept a mindset where our ambitions go no higher than finishing top 4 each season, and where merely qualifying for knockout stages of champs league is considered as success
you might need to hope for a new owner then

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Look some of it is simple. Buy a goalkeeper, replace Mustafi with a good CB, buy a really good DM and a central midfielder. We don't need any attacking players just a new formation. Be more solid away from home and just improve defensively overall

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

League Champions..... a club like Arsenal should be expecting to challenge for the League every season

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

I expect that the Wenger acolytes (and there are still loads of them) will be overly critical of whomever comes in. That being said, I do expect that the board have already agreed with someone to come in next year which is why Wenger got shoved and whomever it is is with another team. I can't believe that they would hire someone like Brendan Rodgers knowing what the reaction would be like.

Whomever it is will get us back into the top 4 and the AKBs will quietly STFU.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

flash gunner wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:25 pm
League Champions..... a club like Arsenal should be expecting to challenge for the League every season
wake up will you - the owner has already said that he is not here to win league titles.
getting rid of Wenger is not going to change that.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:31 am
We will appoint someone even worse than SFB, and the demise of this great club under this current owner and board will continue.

6th or 7th and not a trophy in sight. Far more things to be sorted before we could even dream about competing for the title. F++k off Kroenke

Hate to say it, but this is how I see it too. Can only hope I'm wrong and that the muppets at least appoint a quality manager. That will only improve things to the extent that a quality coach is better than a no mark, but as long as Kroenke owns this Club....we is proper fucked !

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:21 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
We will appoint someone even worse than SFB, and the demise of this great club under this current owner and board will continue.

6th or 7th and not a trophy in sight. Far more things to be sorted before we could even dream about competing for the title. F++k off Kroenke

Hate to say it, but this is how I see it too. Can only hope I'm wrong and that the muppets at least appoint a quality manager. That will only improve things to the extent that a quality coach is better than a no mark, but as long as Kroenke owns this Club....we is proper fucked !
Exactly, which is why I'm going nowhere near the club until I see real progress, 'sacking' Wenger is a start but they have done years of damage by allowing him to continue his failed project(s), it will take several years of good work to convince me to go back, I won't be holding my breath though as I trust Kroenke about as far as I could throw him (with both arms tied behind my back).

Sadly we're relying on Gazidis to come good, which is a long shot, I think he has made two good appointments but against the backdrop of wiggy counting 'his' pennies(cents?) it will be a real struggle to compete against the likes of City or United, I will at least be interested from afar rather than totally not giving a toss which is what it came to under SFB.

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

This. After the initial excitement at the news I'm now coming round to the reality of the situation. That the muppets in charge will fuck it up. It's going to be some cheapskate appointment like Arteta, the bloke from Nice or the German kid. :roll:

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Depends who they get in as manager.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Umm, city to win it, Liverpool 2nd, manure 3rd, cfc 4th, those *word censored* 5th and us 6th*

*I reserve the right to amend the 6th place prediction dependant on Burnleys transfer window 😉