Monreal

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gp543

Monreal

Post by gp543 »

I hate to be sensational but Nacho is a massively underrated player for our club. A genuine contender for our player of the season, scores important goals and shows a lot of passion for the shirt. I think he deserves far more respect than he receives.

augie

Re: Monreal

Post by augie »

Stop for christ sake - did you see him at swansea ? Have you watched how many teams target our left side ? Did you watch the moscow games where they destroyed him ? Some fans think he is great because he is scoring goals now and runs around putting in work-rate - personally I want a defender that can defend first and foremost and flapping his arms and remonstrating with the ref and team-mates does not count as defending :roll:

Btw he is now 32 years old, and I know that we have bigger needs to address, but his is a position that also needs upgrading real soon

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

He's been our best player this season but Kolašinac should be our starting left back from next season and Monreal is a solid second choice. I think we're fine at that position till the end of next season. Right back is in need more need of attention. Bellerin needs competition there.

Herd

Post by Herd »

He is fucking useless as a defender ,cannot mark players ,and is too slow to track them .
He has a good footballing brain and has use as a left sided midfielder but as a starting left back he simply cant cut the mustard !

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

He's shite :oops:

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Herd wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:03 pm
He is fucking useless as a defender ,cannot mark players ,and is too slow to track them .
He has a good footballing brain and has use as a left sided midfielder but as a starting left back he simply cant cut the mustard !
Exactly

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

We were doing so well with the new Augie. :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

He's average to goodish on occasion but he cannot defend and gets targetted by oppo players because of that. He also cannot cross a ball too well.

The useless Bellerin at RB worries me more tbh... the silly cùnt can't do anything right more than once a game. :roll:

Post by 1989 »

He's fine as back up LB. Never as a starter though.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

In my view he’s gone from a cowardly disaster to a half-decent left back. He will never make a good centre half as long as I’ve got a hole in my arse.

He’s a lot more consistent and has come up with a few goals this year, but his crossing is utterly appalling and when he comes up against a good winger it shows how frail he can be defensively. One on one he’s still likely to be roasted, but he’s got smarter and puts himself in really poor positions a lot less.

Has massively outperformed Bellerin on the other flank.

augie

Post by augie »

northbank123 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:06 am
In my view he’s gone from a cowardly disaster to a half-decent left back. He will never make a good centre half as long as I’ve got a hole in my arse.

He’s a lot more consistent and has come up with a few goals this year, but his crossing is utterly appalling and when he comes up against a good winger it shows how frail he can be defensively. One on one he’s still likely to be roasted, but he’s got smarter and puts himself in really poor positions a lot less.

Has massively outperformed Bellerin on the other flank.

Granted, but you would hope that under a manager like simeone/ancellotti/allegri would coach up a player like bellerin who is still young enough to become a great full back - monreal is 32 and in his prime he was no better than average, so he is only going downhill from here. Personally I would start kolasnic as first choice next season (if we dont sign a left back)

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I’m not particularly enamoured with Monreal but if you gave me the chance to make five signings then I don’t think a left back would be one.

Kolasinac is just another odd situation - completely fallen out of favour and can’t get a game for love nor money. From his limited game time my impression was he’s a bit like Alonso at Chelsea - pops up in ridiculous areas and will chip in with plenty of goals and assists for a full back, but can’t defend for shit.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Best left back since Cole.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Wilson wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 3:32 am
Best left back since Cole.
Better than Clichy, Andre Santos and Kieran Gibbs - true but hardly high praise.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Would be surprised if he makes the cut when the new manager comes in, decent enough on his day and puts the effort in but he's got mistakes in him and can be quite flakey.

Hopefully the new manager is going down the defenders being defenders route rather than glorified wingers trying to defend.

Good going forward, bit weak defending, same as Bellerin, both could be in trouble.