Gazidis - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Gazidis

Post by DB10GOONER »

xisstential wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:23 pm
I agree with all DB's arguments here and also what Herd said about Gazidis and Wenger being at war. There was no love lost between the two but Kroenke had Wenger's back and Gazidi's was more interested in keeping his job than getting into it with Wenger. I think Gazidis was biding his time but I guarantee you he never went head to head with Wenger..... if he had, he would have been the one to go. Wenger had Stan's backing, Gazidis knew that.

Kroenke fired Wenger because of the empty seats, the missing out of CL again...basically lost revenue, that is what cost him his job. Wenger airily dismissing the empty seats at his presser was probably the final straw for Stan. Gazidis had nothing to do with it, he might have hated Wenger even but he was never going to openly take on Stan's blue eyed boy. Now that Wenger is safely out of the way Gazidis has stepped out of the shadows. I'm not thanking him for anything because he never did anything.
I should get you to write my posts mate. You put it better there than I did and in half the words! :D

Herd

Post by Herd »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:09 pm
xisstential wrote:
I agree with all DB's arguments here and also what Herd said about Gazidis and Wenger being at war. There was no love lost between the two but Kroenke had Wenger's back and Gazidi's was more interested in keeping his job than getting into it with Wenger. I think Gazidis was biding his time but I guarantee you he never went head to head with Wenger..... if he had, he would have been the one to go. Wenger had Stan's backing, Gazidis knew that.

Kroenke fired Wenger because of the empty seats, the missing out of CL again...basically lost revenue, that is what cost him his job. Wenger airily dismissing the empty seats at his presser was probably the final straw for Stan. Gazidis had nothing to do with it, he might have hated Wenger even but he was never going to openly take on Stan's blue eyed boy. Now that Wenger is safely out of the way Gazidis has stepped out of the shadows. I'm not thanking him for anything because he never did anything.
I should get you to write my posts mate. You put it better there than I did and in half the words! :D
I concur !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Herd wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:26 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
xisstential wrote:

I concur !
:lol:

Crunt! :barscarf: :wink:

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Just to be clear, he's still a slimey king of spin, a polished corporate man who (in my opinion) is not a football man, he's still Stans puppet BUT he's bought some credit for himself to bank for getting Wenger out, like it or not but he stripped him of power over a period of time, that was all him then seized his moment.

Yes, the empty seats were the main factor, I myself can pat myself on the back for contributiing,I have 3 seats in the FE that were all left empty for all but 2 games in the second half of the season but Ivan still had to do his bit like we did ours.

What you think is your business but he has a clean slate from me for now, a successful transfer window and there's no looking back, just forward.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Gazides has been waiting for this moment for at four years. Personally, after the decision to extend Wenger's contract in 2017 I thought Gazidis would leave as he's not been able to set the club up his way. Fair play to him for staying patient and seeing Wenger essentially get himself sacked.
Gazidis has brought in excellent football people who know their jobs well. Emery is a successful manager of an elite European club. Only time will tell if he'll be more successful than Dein. Although, the main people at the club would indicate that they will be successful.

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

History is always written by the winners, and one of the most intriguing aspects about Gazidis now is the way he's very subtely erasing Wenger from the club.

Within days of Wenger's departure, the homepage of Arsenal.com went from having wall-to-wall tributes to him... to having absolutely zero mention of him at all on the homepage. Anywhere. And remember how the video of past managers on the Twitter video package ran through all the managers, and then just jumped straight from George Graham to Emery?

I'm convinced that Gazidis, having won the power struggle (whether or not any of it was his doing), is now in a position to quietly phase out Wenger's supposed 'legacy', and I find it interesting that there are already several signs that he's really downplaying his tenure. I expect more of this in the coming years, and I'm fucking delighted about it.

Ed Hunter The Gooner

Post by Ed Hunter The Gooner »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:00 pm
History is always written by the winners, and one of the most intriguing aspects about Gazidis now is the way he's very subtely erasing Wenger from the club.

Within days of Wenger's departure, the homepage of Arsenal.com went from having wall-to-wall tributes to him... to having absolutely zero mention of him at all on the homepage. Anywhere. And remember how the video of past managers on the Twitter video package ran through all the managers, and then just jumped straight from George Graham to Emery?

I'm convinced that Gazidis, having won the power struggle (whether or not any of it was his doing), is now in a position to quietly phase out Wenger's supposed 'legacy', and I find it interesting that there are already several signs that he's really downplaying his tenure. I expect more of this in the coming years, and I'm fucking delighted about it.
Agreed. I don't believe for a minute that he is building a sandbox to play in for himself. He has brought in formidable football people to clubs backroom staff and that itself is a proof that he is actually trying to get this club onto the level it belongs rather than building a playground for himself.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Heard a massive story that Gazidis is gone to Milan already just waiting for Wenger to agree to come back as chief exec. before it is publicly announced :shock:

I'm finished if this is true

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

flash gunner wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:03 am
Heard a massive story that Gazidis is gone to Milan already just waiting for Wenger to agree to come back as chief exec. before it is publicly announced :shock:

That has just ruined my weekend

NickF

Post by NickF »

flash gunner wrote:

You really should stop getting your news stories off social media... :lol:
Wenger as chief exec, seriously - that has to be made up just to troll.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:10 am
flash gunner wrote:

That has just ruined my weekend
Not funny - where did you hear this skulduggery?

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
xisstential wrote:

Agreed :lol:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Arsenal are urging chief executive Ivan Gazidis to resist overtures from AC Milan and guide the restructured club in the post-Arsene Wenger era.

Although majority shareholder Stan Kroenke has the final say on big decisions, the significant overhaul that has taken place in the past year is seen as Gazidis’s brainchild.

The process of transitioning away from the authority Arsene Wenger enjoyed to a more continental structure, where power and responsibility is divided, began towards the end of the Frenchman’s tenure, leading to widely reported friction between him and Gazidis.

Something of a power struggle developed but with Wenger now departed and Unai Emery installed as ‘head coach’, Gazidis has effected a sizeable change in the appointment of several backroom staff.

There are nine new department chiefs with Gazidis, head of recruitment Sven Mislintat and head of football relations Raul Sanllehi leading the day-to-day decision-making.

AC Milan’s approach for Gazidis comes at an interesting time. With Emery now in place, it could be argued Gazidis has completed his principal task, all the while helping to more than double the share price of the club he joined in January 2009.

Last October, Kroenke offered to buy Alisher Usmanov’s 30 per cent stake for £525million - £28,000 per share - which is a huge increase on the £11,750 the American paid in April 2011 to take control.

However, it is understood senior figures at the club are keen for Gazidis to remain at the helm to support Emery and manage any teething problems that arise from the restructuring.

Rumours circulated on Thursday night that Gazidis was on the brink of agreeing a deal with Milan but the club told Standard Sport no final decision has yet been taken. Josh Kroenke, Stan’s son and a fellow director, has taken more of an interest in the club’s affairs as he spends more time in London but Gazidis is hugely respected internally despite facing criticism from supporters in recent seasons, often relating to Arsenal’s transfer business, Wenger’s shortcomings or his own financial remuneration.

It was revealed last October that Gazidis earned £2.6m, including a £919,000 bonus, despite Arsenal failing to qualify for the Champions League.

Reviving Arsenal old guard is just as vital as new transfers for Emery
Milan are likely to be able to offer a significant increase on that salary, however, and speculation in the city suggests that the Italians could offer him some form of equity as a future pay day should the American hedge fund, Elliott Management, which owns the club, sell in the future.

Elliott Management last month took over control of the club and injected €50million (£44.6m).

Milan have been banned from this season’s Europa League due to a breach of Uefa’s Financial Fair Play rules and although Forbes lists them as the 17th most valuable club, a huge financial restructuring is required.

Gazidis has impressed Elliott founder Paul Singer’s son, Gordon, who is an avid Arsenal fan.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football
Last edited by Allgunsblazin on Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Gazidis' first signing.....

"Gonzalo Higuain has swapped Juventus for Serie A rivals AC Milan" :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:38 pm
Arsenal are urging chief executive Ivan Gazidis to resist overtures from AC Milan and guide the restructured club in the post-Arsene Wenger era.

Although majority shareholder Stan Kroenke has the final say on big decisions, the significant overhaul that has taken place in the past year is seen as Gazidis’s brainchild.

The process of transitioning away from the authority Arsene Wenger enjoyed to a more continental structure, where power and responsibility is divided, began towards the end of the Frenchman’s tenure, leading to widely reported friction between him and Gazidis.

Something of a power struggle developed but with Wenger now departed and Unai Emery installed as ‘head coach’, Gazidis has effected a sizeable change in the appointment of several backroom staff.

There are nine new department chiefs with Gazidis, head of recruitment Sven Mislintat and head of football relations Raul Sanllehi leading the day-to-day decision-making.

AC Milan’s approach for Gazidis comes at an interesting time. With Emery now in place, it could be argued Gazidis has completed his principal task, all the while helping to more than double the share price of the club he joined in January 2009.

Last October, Kroenke offered to buy Alisher Usmanov’s 30 per cent stake for £525million - £28,000 per share - which is a huge increase on the £11,750 the American paid in April 2011 to take control.

However, it is understood senior figures at the club are keen for Gazidis to remain at the helm to support Emery and manage any teething problems that arise from the restructuring.

Rumours circulated on Thursday night that Gazidis was on the brink of agreeing a deal with Milan but the club told Standard Sport no final decision has yet been taken. Josh Kroenke, Stan’s son and a fellow director, has taken more of an interest in the club’s affairs as he spends more time in London but Gazidis is hugely respected internally despite facing criticism from supporters in recent seasons, often relating to Arsenal’s transfer business, Wenger’s shortcomings or his own financial remuneration.

It was revealed last October that Gazidis earned £2.6m, including a £919,000 bonus, despite Arsenal failing to qualify for the Champions League.

Reviving Arsenal old guard is just as vital as new transfers for Emery
Milan are likely to be able to offer a significant increase on that salary, however, and speculation in the city suggests that the Italians could offer him some form of equity as a future pay day should the American hedge fund, Elliott Management, which owns the club, sell in the future.

Elliott Management last month took over control of the club and injected €50million (£44.6m).

Milan have been banned from this season’s Europa League due to a breach of Uefa’s Financial Fair Play rules and although Forbes lists them as the 17th most valuable club, a huge financial restructuring is required.

Gazidis has impressed Elliott founder Paul Singer’s son, Gordon, who is an avid Arsenal fan.
Mate add a link to that original article or it has to be deleted for plagiarism.