Gazidis - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Gazidis

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:57 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 6:03 am
seems like Gazidis isn't the total fuckwit we all thought with the appointment of Emery,maybe just a halfwit instead,but give him credit wheres its due,looks like he has delivered :D
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:41 pm
The man has brought down a *word censored* of a dictator and dismantled his power base brick by brick. It's taken time but he's won and the good has won through. The bloke has taken on Wanker and destroyed him. That's what was needed and that's what he's done.
Don't agree at all lads. He failed miserably in his coup attempt. I posted this in another thread but fits here too: He made a complete fucking mockery of the club faffing around with half assed attempts to get Vieira and then Henry before "settling" for Arteta who then promptly told him and his new structure of Barca's ex DOF to fuck off (and fair play to Arteta for that). Then old Ivan goes scrabbling around Europe before Emery jumps at the chance to get out of a shit situation at PSG.

Also Gazidis did not get rid of Wenger. Kroenke finally did. The wig molesting cùnt saw all those empty seats this season and realised that it would hurt the brand and he finally acted. If we are going to throw credit at anyone for taking Wenger down then it should be the vermin that owns us - not his monkey.

I dont understand why you think that :? In every big club in europe, this is the structure that they use, and I dont see why it should be any different here. For years we have bemoaned the fact that the french cock was involved in a shit load of things that he had no reason or need to be involved in - now we have a manager who is correctly focusing on what his job requires, and that is coaching and setting up a team. Even if you supported the old system, you would surely agree that arteta hasnt worked up enough credibility to be handed control of the transfers
There is a difference between controlling the transfers and having players picked for you. At very few European clubs does the DOF template really work which is why most European leagues have one (maybe two) clubs that dominate the league. I don't like the DOF model unless it is purely on the financial negotiating side. The manager should pick the players he wants and then fine let the DOF negotiate the transfer.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

1989 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:33 am
DB10, have a look at this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ger-wenger
haha mate have you actually read that?? It's full of self-contradictions and it paints Gazidis as an incompetent coward and as being nepotistic as much as it acclaims him ffs! :lol:

Trust me, Gazidis is a self serving lizard that will fuck this club up. The same people that posted some of the most ill-informed, revisionist and childishly poisonous shite on this forum about Wenger are a lot of the same people now lauding Gazidis even though the historical evidence points to Kroenke being the vermin we should thank for finally doing his job and getting rid of Wenger.

Herd

Post by Herd »

SoS has been grooming Kroenke's son for a few years and has the rest of the board onside too.
Last years failed coup just delayed the inevitable, but make no mistake this is the reign of Ivan the terrible .
He owned that press conference.
I do believe that Gazidis was going to go for Arteta but go cold feet rather than Arteta turning him down but the end result works for me for now.
Emery is in no doubt who is in charge off the field ,his job is to organize and rejuvenate a bunch of slackers .
I'm almost excited !

Post by 1989 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:32 pm
1989 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:33 am
DB10, have a look at this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ger-wenger
haha mate have you actually read that?? It's full of self-contradictions and it paints Gazidis as an incompetent coward and as being nepotistic as much as it acclaims him ffs! :lol:

Trust me, Gazidis is a self serving lizard that will fuck this club up. The same people that posted some of the most ill-informed, revisionist and childishly poisonous shite on this forum about Wenger are a lot of the same people now lauding Gazidis even though the historical evidence points to Kroenke being the vermin we should thank for finally doing his job and getting rid of Wenger.
We'll just agree to disagree then. :wink:

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Time to cut Gazidis some slack, he delivered on his promise, tried last year but Wenger went over his head but got him this year.

Went into the Emirates and rescued a hostage situation & took out the Wenger's cosy club of failure one by one, okay, he almost balled it up with Arteta (we'll never know how close that was) then gave us what we want with an appointment who ticks all the boxes.

The fact that he killed the ITKs, annoying journalists & the AKBs in one Summer means he starts with a clean slate and dare I say it, is a bit of a hero now.

He was very sinister with taking Wenger down and did it magnificently, don't see how anyone can *word censored* him off after doing just as we wanted.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 6:03 am
seems like Gazidis isn't the total fuckwit we all thought with the appointment of Emery,maybe just a halfwit instead,but give him credit wheres its due,looks like he has delivered :D
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:41 pm
The man has brought down a *word censored* of a dictator and dismantled his power base brick by brick. It's taken time but he's won and the good has won through. The bloke has taken on Wanker and destroyed him. That's what was needed and that's what he's done.
Don't agree at all lads. He failed miserably in his coup attempt. I posted this in another thread but fits here too: He made a complete fucking mockery of the club faffing around with half assed attempts to get Vieira and then Henry before "settling" for Arteta who then promptly told him and his new structure of Barca's ex DOF to fuck off (and fair play to Arteta for that). Then old Ivan goes scrabbling around Europe before Emery jumps at the chance to get out of a shit situation at PSG.

Also Gazidis did not get rid of Wenger. Kroenke finally did. The wig molesting cùnt saw all those empty seats this season and realised that it would hurt the brand and he finally acted. If we are going to throw credit at anyone for taking Wenger down then it should be the vermin that owns us - not his monkey.
Correct what done for Wanker Wenger was the empty seats.....fans paying and not bothering to turn up...in the end its what really hurts them

Well done everyone who stayed away...you made this change

As for Gazidis he is a *word censored*

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

If the fence sitters had kept turning up then 100% Wenger would still be our manager. Gazidis is an empty suit with no power beyond doing what Kroenke tells him. Those empty seats were what did for Wenger.

The cold vermin business mogul Kroenke is no fool, he saw what damage those empty seats could do to the brand in the burgeoning Asian and African markets where fans only want to be associated with popular and trendy teams, especially in huge markets like China where a lot of the affluent young culturally copy their Western counterparts.

Bizarre that some people are now calling Gazidis a hero for fucking up his coup attempt and then embarrassing the club with a pathetic recruitment campaign that very nearly landed us with a novice manager and then taking the piss out of every single one of us with outright lies like "Emery was our number one choice".

The fact we had no plan in place for recruiting Wenger's replacement shows that Kroenke made the decision (mid season let's not forget) and caught Gazidis off guard by telling him to go out and get someone new.

Anyway I am bored out of my ring with this now tbh. So a big thank you to the vermin Kroenke for finally doing your job.

augie

Post by augie »

Gunnersaurus wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:19 am
Time to cut Gazidis some slack, he delivered on his promise, tried last year but Wenger went over his head but got him this year.

Went into the Emirates and rescued a hostage situation & took out the Wenger's cosy club of failure one by one, okay, he almost balled it up with Arteta (we'll never know how close that was) then gave us what we want with an appointment who ticks all the boxes.

The fact that he killed the ITKs, annoying journalists & the AKBs in one Summer means he starts with a clean slate and dare I say it, is a bit of a hero now.

He was very sinister with taking Wenger down and did it magnificently, don't see how anyone can *word censored* him off after doing just as we wanted.

100% agree with this 8)

Our midget mod is slating gazidas for his lack of power and he might well have been right in that, but I think that we also have to acknowledge that he put his neck on the line to try and oust wenger regardless of whether it was successful or not. I also agree that the empty seats and apathy were the main factors in the decision to get rid of wenger, but I also think that gazidas's efforts had started the ball rolling - it has long since been rumoured that kroenke jnr was in agreement with gazidas and had allaigned himself to him, and when daddy sent him over to see what the fcuk was going on, you knew straight away that wenger was fcuked and on his way out the door.

I also agree that gazidas nearly balls'd up all his good work by appointing arteta - I firmly believe that it was the fan reaction that forced the change of mind on that decision, but tbh I dont care what changed his mind. I also dont care if emery was number 1 choice or not - they are just starting a working partnership so he was always gonna have to say that emery was his first choice. I also dont believe that arteta pulled out of the negotiations - if gazidas was 100% sold on giving him the job then he would be manager today, but the reality is that (for whatever reasons) he recognised that it would be a major risk and backed away, so he deserves credit for being willing to be persuaded otherwise.

All that being said, it doesnt mean that I am 100% in his corner - regardless of him backing away from arteta, the fact that he was seriously under consideration in the first place, has made me question of his judgement and motives. I am willing to assess his performance on a day to day basis, but for now I am happy with his recent moves and will give him credit for that

NickF

Post by NickF »

Redarmy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 5:19 am
Correct what done for Wanker Wenger was the empty seats.....fans paying and not bothering to turn up...in the end its what really hurts them

Well done everyone who stayed away...you made this change
Certainly helped but we have had large amounts of empty seats for the past few seasons.
I think it was also the fact that we lost so many games that even our inept board could not longer ignore it.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:43 am
Gunnersaurus wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:19 am

100% agree with this 8)

Our midget mod is slating gazidas for his lack of power and he might well have been right in that, but I think that we also have to acknowledge that he put his neck on the line to try and oust wenger regardless of whether it was successful or not. I also agree that the empty seats and apathy were the main factors in the decision to get rid of wenger, but I also think that gazidas's efforts had started the ball rolling - it has long since been rumoured that kroenke jnr was in agreement with gazidas and had allaigned himself to him, and when daddy sent him over to see what the fcuk was going on, you knew straight away that wenger was fcuked and on his way out the door.

I also agree that gazidas nearly balls'd up all his good work by appointing arteta - I firmly believe that it was the fan reaction that forced the change of mind on that decision, but tbh I dont care what changed his mind. I also dont care if emery was number 1 choice or not - they are just starting a working partnership so he was always gonna have to say that emery was his first choice. I also dont believe that arteta pulled out of the negotiations - if gazidas was 100% sold on giving him the job then he would be manager today, but the reality is that (for whatever reasons) he recognised that it would be a major risk and backed away, so he deserves credit for being willing to be persuaded otherwise.

All that being said, it doesnt mean that I am 100% in his corner - regardless of him backing away from arteta, the fact that he was seriously under consideration in the first place, has made me question of his judgement and motives. I am willing to assess his performance on a day to day basis, but for now I am happy with his recent moves and will give him credit for that
haha ffs you have flipped and flopped more there than your fellow bald bastard Ivan Gazidis! :lol: :lol:

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 5:51 am
If the fence sitters had kept turning up then 100% Wenger would still be our manager. Gazidis is an empty suit with no power beyond doing what Kroenke tells him. Those empty seats were what did for Wenger.

The cold vermin business mogul Kroenke is no fool, he saw what damage those empty seats could do to the brand in the burgeoning Asian and African markets where fans only want to be associated with popular and trendy teams, especially in huge markets like China where a lot of the affluent young culturally copy their Western counterparts.

Bizarre that some people are now calling Gazidis a hero for fucking up his coup attempt and then embarrassing the club with a pathetic recruitment campaign that very nearly landed us with a novice manager and then taking the piss out of every single one of us with outright lies like "Emery was our number one choice".

The fact we had no plan in place for recruiting Wenger's replacement shows that Kroenke made the decision (mid season let's not forget) and caught Gazidis off guard by telling him to go out and get someone new.

Anyway I am bored out of my ring with this now tbh. So a big thank you to the vermin Kroenke for finally doing your job.
I think that you do Gazidis a little disservice here. He got Sven and Raul (or agreed in Raul's case - he started in Feb.) before the empty seats. He also got in Huss Fahmy before this as well. So there was a team in place to effectively negate Wenger's dismissal.

As things tend to move really slowly in business to limit risk, his 'Catalyst of Change' in many eyes didn't occur. However, I think that overall it did. They were not in a position to get rid of Wenger last year and that was largely because Wenger kept getting into the Top 4 and didn't miss out by much last year, so they gave him a chance to rectify (probably) with a caveat that the new staff (Sven, Raul, etc.) were coming in. Once the infrastructure was in place and working together, Wenger was expendable (thankfully). The empty seats and the football on offer probably accelerated that departure (with emphasis on the empty seats) as you point out.

Although Gazidis isn't all powerful, he does have some say and the Kroenke's listen to him. I would imagine that Josh came over (although no proof for this) on his say to verify the stagnation in which Wenger was managing. The fact that he didn't stay as long as the reported length of his stay (if it is to be believed) probably is an indication that he agreed with Gazidis.

I have to say that all of his appointments so far have been solid, but the proof will be on the pitch next year. I know that he got a lot of stick for not saying anything about Wenger, but would you if you wanted him out?

Having said all of that, the piece that was in the Guardian was such a PR piece. Some of it was probably true, but other things were as if penned by Ivan himself.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

begeegs wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:59 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 5:51 am

I think that you do Gazidis a little disservice here. He got Sven and Raul (or agreed in Raul's case - he started in Feb.) before the empty seats. He also got in Huss Fahmy before this as well. So there was a team in place to effectively negate Wenger's dismissal.

As things tend to move really slowly in business to limit risk, his 'Catalyst of Change' in many eyes didn't occur. However, I think that overall it did. They were not in a position to get rid of Wenger last year and that was largely because Wenger kept getting into the Top 4 and didn't miss out by much last year, so they gave him a chance to rectify (probably) with a caveat that the new staff (Sven, Raul, etc.) were coming in. Once the infrastructure was in place and working together, Wenger was expendable (thankfully). The empty seats and the football on offer probably accelerated that departure (with emphasis on the empty seats) as you point out.

Although Gazidis isn't all powerful, he does have some say and the Kroenke's listen to him. I would imagine that Josh came over (although no proof for this) on his say to verify the stagnation in which Wenger was managing. The fact that he didn't stay as long as the reported length of his stay (if it is to be believed) probably is an indication that he agreed with Gazidis.

I have to say that all of his appointments so far have been solid, but the proof will be on the pitch next year. I know that he got a lot of stick for not saying anything about Wenger, but would you if you wanted him out?

Having said all of that, the piece that was in the Guardian was such a PR piece. Some of it was probably true, but other things were as if penned by Ivan himself.
Sorry but this is just getting repetitive now mate. I'll point you back to my post that you quoted and add RE the bit in red on yours: I think you give Gazidis too much credit.

There is also a very worrying trend on here, now that Wenger has finally gone, where we have people acting as if all is right with the club. No matter what Gazidis or Kroenke's final role in Wenger going actually was, it was them and their colleagues on the Board who let this situation fester to the point where we are out of CL contention, finished 6th in a shit PL, are suffering from fan apathy, a split fanbase, and have a mix matched squad of snowflakes, wasters, utter shit and a demotivated star player who is only still here for the wonga... this entire clusterfuck of an owner and board need to be gotten rid of.

I'm all for being positive about Emery coming in but the club is still poison from the top down.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:popcorn:

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:07 am

Sorry but this is just getting repetitive now mate. I'll point you back to my post that you quoted and add RE the bit in red on yours: I think you give Gazidis too much credit.

There is also a very worrying trend on here, now that Wenger has finally gone, where we have people acting as if all is right with the club. No matter what Gazidis or Kroenke's final role in Wenger going actually was, it was them and their colleagues on the Board who let this situation fester to the point where we are out of CL contention, finished 6th in a shit PL, are suffering from fan apathy, a split fanbase, and have a mix matched squad of snowflakes, wasters, utter shit and a demotivated star player who is only still here for the wonga... this entire clusterfuck of an owner and board need to be gotten rid of.

I'm all for being positive about Emery coming in but the club is still poison from the top down.
I agree that Kroenke is a shite owner, but they have their targets and we have ours. I believe that we should be competing for titles in the league and essentially doing what Ivan promised many years ago (competing with the Bayerns, etc.). As a club (probably the largest in London and one of the richest teams in football), we should expect more. It remains to be seen if they also share this vision. They probably would like it too, but if the stadium is full and the commercial deals aren't suffering, then they probably don't care. Arsenal is an investment to them. They probably think, 'Up until last year, Wenger was delivering CL football every year, so what is the problem? '

We, as fans, don't agree with that - (although, a large percentage actually did or there wouldn't have ever been a split), but they finally acted and did something that many of us didn't think would happen (at least this year). As business owners, they had a point of pain that they could tolerate - ie - fans fighting, a split in the fan base - but when fans stopped turning up, that point finally hit their pain threshold. If it hadn't been for the empty seats, they still may have made a move, but probably not until next year.

I am only basing the Gazidis credit on the split on the board last year, Wenger finally being dismissed, and his appointments (long overdue). In my eyes, it was obvious that Gazidis wanted Wenger out, but it didn't happen, so he played a longer game and chipped away at the power structure (not to mention those PR pieces where he threatened to leave). It has finally happened, so I am giving him credit for that. Do I think that all is rosy? No - but I am willing to see what happens next with some positivity which is a rarity on this forum :D

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

I agree with all DB's arguments here and also what Herd said about Gazidis and Wenger being at war. There was no love lost between the two but Kroenke had Wenger's back and Gazidi's was more interested in keeping his job than getting into it with Wenger. I think Gazidis was biding his time but I guarantee you he never went head to head with Wenger..... if he had, he would have been the one to go. Wenger had Stan's backing, Gazidis knew that.

Kroenke fired Wenger because of the empty seats, the missing out of CL again...basically lost revenue, that is what cost him his job. Wenger airily dismissing the empty seats at his presser was probably the final straw for Stan. Gazidis had nothing to do with it, he might have hated Wenger even but he was never going to openly take on Stan's blue eyed boy. Now that Wenger is safely out of the way Gazidis has stepped out of the shadows. I'm not thanking him for anything because he never did anything.