Channel 5 " THE FEUD" AFC v Man U mon 23/04/18

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
YorkshireGunner

Channel 5 " THE FEUD" AFC v Man U mon 23/04/18

Post by YorkshireGunner »

Channel 5 tonight 10pm mon 23/04/18
This is gonna be good
The Feud, rivalry, competition, even Hate that started between Arsenal & Man utd, Wenger and Fergie, the Players And the Fans from when Wenger arrived in 1996 until Fergie Retired
:barscarf:

Arsenal Till I Die

Re: Channel 5 " THE FEUD" AFC v Man U mon 23/04/18

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Watching it makes me miss the days in which we had fight, passion and drive to compete with the very best, even more so. :(

HARLOW GOONER

Post by HARLOW GOONER »

Where’s TA6 on this? Should have been featured.

wibble

Post by wibble »

Enjoying it, interesting to see not only how much the players disliked each other at the time but still seem to now!

Seeing Keown showing his passion and winning mentality makes it even more frustrating to see what a crap , arse(ne) licking pundit he has become

YorkshireGunner

Post by YorkshireGunner »

Enjoyed That, wow the excitement and anticipation and passion came flooding back
If only we had players now that would refuse to lose, we may stand in a better shape.
If only they could of extended Highbury, & carried on competing, The move really changed everything
Hope Wenger watched that and it stirs something in him to drum "we are not going to lose at any cost" into the players for the up coming semi finals
Maybe if Fergie was managing Atletico !! :lol:

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

wibble wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:55 pm
Enjoying it, interesting to see not only how much the players disliked each other at the time but still seem to now!
I noticed that too and it was actually nice to see.

The difference between players then and now is that footballers seemed to care more about winning than they do now. The rivalries meant something, the fighting stemmed from real hatred and a desire to win and not show weakness.

Football will never be like that again.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

it's on youtube for anyone that missed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK0hqaxWnBo

still raging how the ref let Reyes get hacked down numerous times at OT

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

YorkshireGunner wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:20 pm
Enjoyed That, wow the excitement and anticipation and passion came flooding back
If only we had players now that would refuse to lose, we may stand in a better shape.
If only they could of extended Highbury, & carried on competing, The move really changed everything
Hope Wenger watched that and it stirs something in him to drum "we are not going to lose at any cost" into the players for the up coming semi finals
They could have extended Highbury, they chose not to - executive boxes / club level was more important you see 💵💵💵

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

StuartL wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:51 am
YorkshireGunner wrote:
They could have extended Highbury, they chose not to - executive boxes / club level was more important you see 💵💵💵

And the director's box and entertainment areas are just a little bit grander than at Highbury but I'm sure that's just a coincidence!

Clash

Post by Clash »

StuartL wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:51 am
YorkshireGunner wrote:
Yeah this is a self-inflicted tragedy really. It is a decision Wenger and the club made that is permanent.

I hate to say something complimentary about Liverpool but they did what we should have done - even though at one time it looked like they would make the same mistake and build a new stadium. All four sides of Anfield have been redeveloped since we wont the title there but it still feels and looks like Anfield.

A modernised Highbury retaining the Art-Deco stands could have continued to be something unique in the game. I love Art-Deco buildings ... probably because of Arsenal.

The Hoover Company Building looks familiar.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

As much as I loved Highbury and fucking hate the Conglomerates Lego Bowl there was no real way to further develop Highbury. They might have squeezed another 2k or 3k seats in at most. You have to remember the protection orders on the stands and the natural light laws so even filling in the corners wasn't an option.

I just wish we'd stayed there with 38k seats.

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:26 pm
As much as I loved Highbury and fucking hate the Conglomerates Lego Bowl there was no real way to further develop Highbury. They might have squeezed another 2k or 3k seats in at most. You have to remember the protection orders on the stands and the natural light laws so even filling in the corners wasn't an option.

East and West were listed (well the outside bit so it turned out) but the clock end could have had a much bigger stand there surely (can I call you Shirley ? )
However not enough room to incorporate the club level / diamond club that the club appear to love so much so it was a no go.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:00 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

East and West were listed (well the outside bit so it turned out) but the clock end could have had a much bigger stand there surely (can I call you Shirley ? )
However not enough room to incorporate the club level / diamond club that the club appear to love so much so it was a no go.
You may call me Shirley. :wink: The Clock End had a natural light law height restriction on it so they could not go higher or further back and that would affect the angle of terrace and thus number of seats. The club had looked into every option for expansion long before Wenger arrived.

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:10 pm
StuartL wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

You may call me Shirley. :wink: The Clock End had a natural light law height restriction on it so they could not go higher or further back and that would affect the angle of terrace and thus number of seats. The club had looked into every option for expansion long before Wenger arrived.
Ok I bow to your greater knowledge :bowing21:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

StuartL wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I thought there was an option to redevelop the West Stand into a three tier stand as long as they kept the Façade ? - that what I remember. but it would have only added 5,000 seats bring THOF up to 43,000 which wenger & the board said was not enough :rolleyes:

and the Club agreed with the council never to redevelop the Clock End, their mistake I think was to not build a two tier stand with boxes between the tiers.

we should of stayed, that narrow pitch won us many European games and games against the top six.