Wembley

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
the playing mantis

Re: Wembley

Post by the playing mantis »

all these ridiculous people getting worked up about it being driven by some papers. most fa's dont own their stadiums. its a millstone, and the benefits of seeling to grassroots would be hughe. they would still have a stake in it through percentage of tickets sales and club wembley, and it allows the england team to go on the road which people like (not that i give 2 shiny shots about the england team)

its a brilliant deal for the fa and should snap it up. it seemed fait accompli in yesterdays standard, but the hysteria and frothing by the express and star today will lead to a campaign of outrage as people wont look at the facts and whats for the best, and simply see it as selling our heritage when its nothing of the sort.

as an added bonus if it goes through and i pray to god it does, it really fucks up the scums nfl plan in the medium/long term which would be hilarious and financially damaging for them.

The Arsenal Way

Post by The Arsenal Way »

It's not been the same since they stopped the greyhound racing there back in the late 90's. :D

Great memories there as a Arsenal and England supporter, but it's gone to shit, just as all modern footy has.
Burn the fucker down

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:10 pm
Every time someone says the word franchise when speaking about a sports team a little piece of me dies inside.

(p.s. that little piece isn't my cock)

8)
Franchise :wink:

Franchise :box:

Franchise :-P

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:10 pm
Every time someone says the word franchise when speaking about a sports team a little piece of me dies inside.

(p.s. that little piece isn't my cock)

8)
You little liar you. :wink:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

It's too cheap ! . The American's want to promote their game over here and are awash with money. Drive a hard bargain , up the price , push them to their limits and sell out for enough to buy a patch of land near the access motorways and build a proper one this time. Then spend the rest on grass roots.

augie

Post by augie »

As I expected when I started this thread, the media are driving a campaign of outrage against selling wembley, and in the current society there are millions of people incapable of looking at a situation and making their own minds up instead of following "the crowd" :roll: Without wishing to open up that political can of worms again, I would compare this situation to the brexit issue - you will always have a large number of people who will thump their chests and talk about national pride etc, and will view selling this as part of their heritage :roll:
I do understand the sentimentality issue around wembley, but at the same time I do think that having a national stadium is outdated - there are a lot of international games now where wembley is nowhere near full and maybe the fa would do better to bring these games around the country to suit the fans ? On top of that, it also needs to be said that it is a financial weight around the fa's head - some people will totally oppose the idea of other sports playing games there, but what is the difference between that and allowing music concerts to be staged there ?

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

augie wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:03 am
As I expected when I started this thread, the media are driving a campaign of outrage against selling wembley, and in the current society there are millions of people incapable of looking at a situation and making their own minds up instead of following "the crowd" :roll: Without wishing to open up that political can of worms again, I would compare this situation to the brexit issue - you will always have a large number of people who will thump their chests and talk about national pride etc, and will view selling this as part of their heritage :roll:
I do understand the sentimentality issue around wembley, but at the same time I do think that having a national stadium is outdated - there are a lot of international games now where wembley is nowhere near full and maybe the fa would do better to bring these games around the country to suit the fans ? On top of that, it also needs to be said that it is a financial weight around the fa's head - some people will totally oppose the idea of other sports playing games there, but what is the difference between that and allowing music concerts to be staged there ?
yes exactly no free thought. like the windrush situation, disgraceful in itself but now means any one mentioning controls on immigration is shouted down by the stupid masses.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
:shock: :banghead:

Oh you've fucking done it now you silly fucker.... only on the Gooner forum could a thread about Wemberlee end up merged with one about Brexit.... :lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

the playing mantis wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:00 am
augie wrote:
yes exactly no free thought. like the windrush situation, disgraceful in itself but now means any one mentioning controls on immigration is shouted down by the stupid masses.
STOP MENTIONING CONTROLS ON IMMIGRATION!!! :banghead:

Oh.... hang on....

:D :wink:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:26 pm
augie wrote:

Oh.... hang on....

What do you mean Arsenal have introduced immigration quotas....you racist bastard :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 5:08 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:26 pm
augie wrote:

Oh.... hang on....

What do you mean Arsenal have introduced immigration quotas....you racist bastard :D
:lol:

Just call me Nigel! :barscarf: :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Okay.

Nigel! You racist Bastard. :D :wink:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

augie wrote:
Who would want to watch England anyway,fucking awful,

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

augie wrote:
The new Wembley isn't the iconic stadium the old one was and that one was no longer fit for purpose. The "London stadium" should be the national stadium as it has facilities for athletics and even cricket. Flog that thing with the arch at Wembley and use the money wisely (slim chance I know). Also it will properly piss on the N17 fireworks as their whole financial plan is based on gridiron basing a franchise there.