Wembley

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Wembley

Post by augie »

Sky Sports News have just announced that the fa are in negotiations with shad khan (he who owns fulham) to sell wembley :shock: :shock: I know that I am not english so the same mentality wouldnt apply to me, but I am wondering how our english Gooners would feel if this sale happens. The rumoured price is £800m (which is a lot of money) and it is being suggested that it would lead to a major overhaul of english grass roots system (more worthless soundbites I suspect). Personally I feel that wembley lost a lot of it's mistique and aura when it was renovated (like most stadiums do tbf), and I feel that playing semi finals and other shit finals in it has taken some of the value from it.

The suggestion is that IF khan does buy it, it will be the first real step towards a london based NFL franchise - as a huge NFL fan (cant wait for the nfl draft tonight) I would be absolutely delighted if it did happen, but that is easy for me to say as an Irishman.

Do the english Gooners on here care if wembley is sold ?

Jock Gooner

Re: Wembley

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:48 pm
Sky Sports News have just announced that the fa are in negotiations with shad khan (he who owns fulham) to sell wembley :shock: :shock: I know that I am not english so the same mentality wouldnt apply to me, but I am wondering how our english Gooners would feel if this sale happens. The rumoured price is £800m (which is a lot of money) and it is being suggested that it would lead to a major overhaul of english grass roots system (more worthless soundbites I suspect). Personally I feel that wembley lost a lot of it's mistique and aura when it was renovated (like most stadiums do tbf), and I feel that playing semi finals and other shit finals in it has taken some of the value from it.

The suggestion is that IF khan does buy it, it will be the first real step towards a london based NFL franchise - as a huge NFL fan (cant wait for the nfl draft tonight) I would be absolutely delighted if it did happen, but that is easy for me to say as an Irishman.

Not a jot. As you say the new wembley is just another soulless bowl and has the most ludicrous PA system announcer. The fucker doesn't shut up before a match and the volume is nuts. Give me the old wembley any day - the upper terraces were pretty steep as I recall - they would never pass health and safety these days!

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

He owns the Jacksonville Jaguars right? So I'm guessing they would play some home games at Wembley if this were to go through.

augie

Post by augie »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:44 pm
He owns the Jacksonville Jaguars right? So I'm guessing they would play some home games at Wembley if this were to go through.

I think the plan would be to play ALL or most games of their games in wembley and relocate the whole franchise to London

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:

As an Englishman Augie, perhaps the best way to express my feelings about it, is to draw a comparison with The Emirates and Highbury.....it simply won’t ever feel the same for me.

Always found Wembley a drag to get to and a nightmare to get away from.

Twin Towers or not, don’t think it would bother me.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:31 pm
augie wrote:

As an Englishman Augie, perhaps the best way to express my feelings about it, is to draw a comparison with The Emirates and Highbury.....it simply won’t ever feel the same for me.

Says it all really. Anyway, it's racist to support England,or even be English these days, so maybe we should just let them fuck our footballing heritage, good riddens.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

I really don't care.

the Empire Stadium was a shithole - broken and faded, just like Empire tbh but it was our shitehole.

I never understood why they didn't rebuild the Iconic towers out of steel and glass. An Arch is pretty gay in comparison and you can hardly see it from the top of Egham Hill :cry:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

About 18 years too late.
Maybe, they're struggling to pay for it. I would hope that it means England team tours the country, that semi finals will be played neutral local grounds, that the money is reinvested in better facilities for lower leagues teams and academies.
That they don't waste it on a bid for the 2026 or 2030 world cup. Building a new national stadium in Birmingham or at Burton, at.Georges Park.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:31 pm
augie wrote:

Build a corporate bowl. Wembley loses its atmosphere.
Play semi finals there. Wembley loses its aura.
Let the Scum play there. Might as well burn it down now.

Getting there was always a pain and leaving was bedlam. I wouldn't be bothered.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

SO if Wembley is sold will the FA return the money contributed from the national lottery & taxpayers towards the cost of rebuilding the stadium? :barscarf:

Where would Engerland play? Would the FA build another stadium in the midlands? :rubchin:

Who will be getting a "boris bung" whilst all the financial details are being worked out? :cussing:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Wembley is a nightmare to get to and from, not such a good stadium in comparison to the old one.
Now if I am not missing something, they are flogging it on the cheap as it cost a hell of a lot more to build, that stupid arch was over a mill alone!
The excuse of ploughing more money into grass roots is absolute balderdash...
Apparently they made more money by having England games at different stadia..
And it would make more sense to have games played on all that land in Stoke, being centre of the universe!....

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

The old Wembley was in a run-down shithole of a faceless industrial area and in terms of transport and pubs it was abysmal. And the stadium was old. But it was iconic and I'm really glad I got to see us there a few times before it was knocked down.

Amazing that with all the money spent they didn't seem to do anything to improve it as an area/venue. Basically kept all of the many negatives whilst also replacing it with a shit, soulless bowl which is streets behind the Emirates in terms of design, facilities and comfort. Really is one of the worst stadiums I've been to.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Yeah I'm against it. American football is shite and we don't want their sort over here selling burgers and wings from hooters.
Hang on a minute

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:37 am
Yeah I'm against it. American football is shite and we don't want their sort over here selling burgers and wings from hooters.
Hang on a minute
:lol: :lol:

Also, I love wings.... and hooters. :barscarf: :lol:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Every time someone says the word franchise when speaking about a sports team a little piece of me dies inside.

(p.s. that little piece isn't my cock)

8)