Goalkeeping Situation

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SydneyGooner

Goalkeeping Situation

Post by SydneyGooner »

I'm sure after watching the Atletico game we all want Oblak to be our goalkeeper for next season but there's more chance of Rodders making a sex tape with Natalie Sawyer :D . So who do you think we should get and should we keep any of Ospina or Cech as second choice?

After Oblak the best goalkeeper on the market is probably Roma's Alisson Becker but apparently Liverpool are favourites to get him for around £60 million. Jack Butland should be available for a cut price this summer with Stoke getting relegated and Leverkusen's Bernd Leno would also be available for less than £30 million. If Madrid get De Gea this summer Keylor Navas should also be available.

augie

Re: Goalkeeping Situation

Post by augie »

Keylor navas is an absolute no no - doesnt have the commanding presence and has too many fcuk ups in him

Cech has to be either sold, released or shot this summer, and I'm ok with any of those choices 8)

If we were to target a player currently playing in england, then butland would be the obvious choice, with begovic maybe as an outside bet - schmeichel probably should be viewed as an option, but tbh I would think that every club should be very wary of signing a sneaky c.unt who played such a big roll in getting his manager sacked.

There was a time that I would have a better knowledge of players across europe, but my interest has wained thanks to the french w.anker so I cant express an opinion either way

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Agree with Augie on Cech.

If Ospina wants to stick around to be number 2 that’s fine. Won’t lose any sleep if he doesn’t - zero presence or ability to command.

Would be quite happy to take a punt on Butland. Been impressed when I’ve watched him.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Butland in as first choice with Macey as second choice...Always wanted Schmichal but think Butland would be available....More importantly Allegri brings Buffon with him as goalkeeping coach

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

One HUGE question you have to ask is "who the fuck would want to play behind the worst defence in Arsenals history"?

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

augie wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:44 pm

Cech has to be either sold, released or shot this summer, and I'm ok with any of those choices 8)
Preferably shot....

Having said that it'll probably be the only shot he'll stop without palming out to an opposition centre forward,

CU*T

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Cech has been a disaster since day one, and anyone with half a brain could have seen that coming in his past year or two at Chelsea. Have a look back at the 5-3 when we won there - fat boy Santos shot straight through him, RvP's last one when straight through his poppadom wrists, Feo Feo beat him at the near post.

The bloke was an amazing keeper when he first signed for Chavski. The terrible injury he suffered at Reading took something away from him, and in the year or two before he left he was average at best. When we signed him he was 6-7 years past his best and on the wane.

Ospina? Better than him but a Hollywood saves keeper and a right flapper at corners/crosses.

Butland doesn't seem to get much love over on the Oatcake forum - apparently his penalty record is up there with Helmet Head's and he is seriously injury prone too.

We won't be getting Oblak, so not sure who else fits the bill......but there must be a dozen keepers out there better than our two who would sign for us

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:20 am
Cech has been a disaster since day one, and anyone with half a brain could have seen that coming in his past year or two at Chelsea. Have a look back at the 5-3 when we won there - fat boy Santos shot straight through him, RvP's last one when straight through his poppadom wrists, Feo Feo beat him at the near post.

The bloke was an amazing keeper when he first signed for Chavski. The terrible injury he suffered at Reading took something away from him, and in the year or two before he left he was average at best. When we signed him he was 6-7 years past his best and on the wane.

Ospina? Better than him but a Hollywood saves keeper and a right flapper at corners/crosses.

Butland doesn't seem to get much love over on the Oatcake forum - apparently his penalty record is up there with Helmet Head's and he is seriously injury prone too.

We won't be getting Oblak, so not sure who else fits the bill......but there must be a dozen keepers out there better than our two who would sign for us
There are two keepers at Burnley who are better than we have got in Pope and Heaton,pretty sure Butland would also be a decent signing.

Think we will sign the German keeper Bernd Leno going on the reports of his release clause 17.5 m,no way we will sign Jan Oblak but he is up there with De Gea as the best two keepers in the world imo.

augie

Post by augie »

Topside Northbank wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:49 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

There are two keepers at Burnley who are better than we have got in Pope and Heaton,pretty sure Butland would also be a decent signing.

Think we will sign the German keeper Bernd Leno going on the reports of his release clause 17.5 m,no way we will sign Jan Oblak but he is up there with De Gea as the best two keepers in the world imo.

They are just the latest up and coming/unheard of players that the meeja hype every season - I would actually say that englands vunerability in the goalkeeping department is largely to blame for the media over-hyping and c.unt that can make a few saves :roll: Personally there is no way that we should entertain the notion of signing them at this stage of the careers

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

augie wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:52 pm
Topside Northbank wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

They are just the latest up and coming/unheard of players that the meeja hype every season - I would actually say that englands vunerability in the goalkeeping department is largely to blame for the media over-hyping and c.unt that can make a few saves :roll: Personally there is no way that we should entertain the notion of signing them at this stage of the careers
No you read my post wrong are both better than the current number one and two at Arsenal yes imo playing at Burnley that in itself says a lot about our weakness in that position,signing them not mentioned.

The fact they are English,Welsh Irish or from Outer Mongolia means nothing to me,highlighting the fact that they are better than we have.

Funny I live in Ireland myself,English of the couldn't give a fuck about the national team type,married to one of 'your' lot :lol:

A top keeper is worth 10 points plus over a season and again even the two Polish keeoers we had couldn't of done worse than Cech has.

Got to say bin charges here are outrageous,however the bin would be more value than Cech in a penalty shootout...maybe my bin could also do a job for England if needed as our shootout record mirrors Mr Cech's success rate :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

Topside Northbank wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:20 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:52 pm
Topside Northbank wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

No you read my post wrong are both better than the current number one and two at Arsenal yes imo playing at Burnley that in itself says a lot about our weakness in that position,signing them not mentioned.

The fact they are English,Welsh Irish or from Outer Mongolia means nothing to me,highlighting the fact that they are better than we have.

Funny I live in Ireland myself,English of the couldn't give a fuck about the national team type,married to one of 'your' lot :lol:

A top keeper is worth 10 points plus over a season and again even the two Polish keeoers we had couldn't of done worse than Cech has.

Got to say bin charges here are outrageous,however the bin would be more value than Cech in a penalty shootout...maybe my bin could also do a job for England if needed as our shootout record mirrors Mr Cech's success rate :lol:

IF the rumours about donnarama going to juve in the summer are true, then we absolutely should go in for chesney and hope that a proper manager and coach can get him to maximise the potential he showed a few years ago

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Intrigued to hear more about this rodders/ourNat sex tape than the shit fest that masquerades itself as being the Arsenal goalkeeping situation if I’m being honest 8)

Post by 1989 »

Selling Szczesny was one of LeFraud's worst decisions. He's 100% better than both Cech and Ospina. Good enough to replace Buffon but not good enough to start for us. :rubchin:

At 27, right in his prime as well not to mention loves the club.

Criminal decision.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Naughty boy said something in the showers when told to put his fag out. Went against Wenger's fatherly overtones.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Problem wasn’t letting him go, it was allowing him to become an arrogant prick who was a self-perceived legend - like most arsenal youngsters of his era.

Went from being the best young keeper around in 11/12 (better than de Gea) to another calamity off the Arsenal School of Goalkeeping Clowns conveyor belt.