Goalkeeping Situation

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Goalkeeping Situation

Post by augie »

First choice now 8) :barscarf:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Szczesny didn’t just grab a bit of attention at Brentford, he came into the first team at 19 or so and for the best part of a year was excellent.

2011/12 de Gea was flapping when he had joined United whilst Szczesny spent the first half of the season looking like a real diamond.

A toxic mix of a big-headed fool and an atmosphere that facilitated rather than challenged that sort of behaviour.

Post by 1989 »

oaodan wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:38 pm
Athletico signed Oblak for 16 million euro in 2014, peanuts for a guy who was a standout keeper even at that time. With Grimandi's track record of unearthing gems, it's surprising he missed him. Coulda sold Sczesney and Fabianski, left Ospina in France, and probably made a small profit on the deal. Love to know who the Athletico scout is, as I said on another thread their last 3 keepers are De Gea, Courtois and Oblak. Just shows how a club can be run.
They're targeting Sergio Rico now as a potential replacement for Oblak. We should steal him already.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

1989 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:10 am
oaodan wrote:
Athletico signed Oblak for 16 million euro in 2014, peanuts for a guy who was a standout keeper even at that time. With Grimandi's track record of unearthing gems, it's surprising he missed him. Coulda sold Sczesney and Fabianski, left Ospina in France, and probably made a small profit on the deal. Love to know who the Athletico scout is, as I said on another thread their last 3 keepers are De Gea, Courtois and Oblak. Just shows how a club can be run.
They're targeting Sergio Rico now as a potential replacement for Oblak. We should steal him already.
Add to that the list of strikers which they’ve had going back to Torres, Aguero, Falcao and now Griezmann.

Punching well above their weight and they’re getting something right on the recruitment side.

Post by 1989 »

northbank123 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:51 am
1989 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:10 am
oaodan wrote:
Add to that the list of strikers which they’ve had going back to Torres, Aguero, Falcao and now Griezmann.

Punching well above their weight and they’re getting something right on the recruitment side.
Forlan and Costa as well.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

augie wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:44 pm
First choice now 8) :barscarf:
havent they just signed the genoa keeper as number 1?

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Knew I was missing a few 1989. Jesus that is some fucking talent they’ve recruited in those positions.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

northbank123 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:38 pm
Knew I was missing a few 1989. Jesus that is some fucking talent they’ve recruited in those positions.
its crazy isn't it - just like Dortmund. they can't compete financially, but their scouting and coaching lets them consistently compete at the top.

pretty much like us under George and Terry Neill.

Post by 1989 »

clockender1 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:50 pm
northbank123 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:38 pm
its crazy isn't it - just like Dortmund. they can't compete financially, but their scouting and coaching lets them consistently compete at the top.

pretty much like us under George and Terry Neill.
Well thankfully we've got the Dortmund scout who was unearthing all those gems for them.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

We have needed a class goalkeeper for many years now. I thought a new boss would make it a priority as Pep did at Man City.
I think our problem is we are paying Cech 100,000 a week and maybe our money strapped club feel that we can't pay that for a number 2.
It's only been 2 years since we have been out of the CL but our board seem to be restricting what we can spend to dire levels.
Thanks for the continued investment Kreonke. Good luck Emery I won't be against u if things go wrong, no investment and expected to take club to top 4

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

We are Desperate for a new goalie.

Not sure what happened the other week when Arsenal FC announced that pete the plank had been given the No 1 jersey ... The guy is Deadwood and needs shipping out along with all the other shyte that are chewing up valuable wages/monies that could be better spent on better players.

This was always another of the problems that wengercunt never solve d- After Seaman left, w ehad the Mad German who although good..made errors in those important matches CL Final being one ... of course he went on to be a wenger luvvie ... and so deserves to be fuckedOff anyway....

We "Need" a World Class Goalie... I know they are in short supply, but (again) because of wengerCunt's total ineptitude we lost szechesny (sp?) who now under a decent GK Coach seems to have blossomed.

:?

If pete the plank is our No1 choice this coming season, regardless of how much our mid-field and back four/three might improve - He is still an accident waiting to happen BIG Time. :cry:

Post by 1989 »

I maintain selling Szczesny was a big mistake. He's a Gooner as well.

Wenger's ego has cost the club in plenty of ways.

Midz

Post by Midz »

Cech would be ok to have as a number 2 for maybe one more season but we really should get shot of him and his 100k a week.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

1989 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:50 pm

I agree - he was clearly never coached properly and has gone on record saying just that.

Unfortunately I have a nasty feeling that being the cash strapped little Arsenal from the bowl means we are not going to address the goalie situation this season. The money is going to go on defenders and hopefully the lad from Sampdoria and that may well be that for now. Whatever we end up doing with the keeping situation when we finally do it let's hope that we throw some serious money at a top keeper that is good for 10 years at the club. It's no use just fucking playing at it the way TOF did.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

1989 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:50 pm

Might have been both of their egos that finished him at the club but his form had been in the toilet for so long that many fans were calling for him to be dropped for fabianski.

Sadly sums up the last decade in many ways. Talent allowed to develop delusions of grandeur and ultimately going backwards.