The Arsenal way

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
supergeorgegraham

Re: The Arsenal way

Post by supergeorgegraham »

We will see what happens with the new manager but the Arsenal Way definitely has its flaws.
To a worldwide audience we announce our new manager but do not back him financially to sign a goalkeeper a defender and a DM.
50 Million is laughable to be honest and even with the best coaching in the world we still need at least those 3 signings.
I believe in the youth system and buying young talent is cheaper but you must get the mix right.
Even a budget of 100 Million would be low but acceptable. We can't compete with city, Chelsea and United but every other team like Liverpool for example we should be.
Interesting to see how much money Klopp gets to spend. Similar model to ours but with owners who will invest every season

Herd

Post by Herd »

The Arsenal Way is a brand catch word .

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I always thought terms that suggest a club has a way belonged to clubs like Newcastle and West Ham, that a certain manager didn't suit the clubs style of play or have a lack of success. This has been creeping into The Arsenal vernacular recently.
Best criticism I've heard of that expression was Alan Shearer responding to Newcastle supporters wanting to get rid of Allardyce because they didn't play the Newcastle way, he said, what is that? We haven't won a trophy for 44 years so maybe the Newcastle way doesn't work.
I'm not sure what the Arsenal way is, I think it is a generational perspective.
I always think we start using this expression to justify our unsuccessful attempts to win the league. "We didn't win because we're not doing things The Arsenal way" etc...

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Nos89 wrote: I always thought terms that suggest a club has a way belonged to clubs like Newcastle and West Ham, that a certain manager didn't suit the clubs style of play or have a lack of success. This has been creeping into The Arsenal vernacular recently.
Best criticism I've heard of that expression was Alan Shearer responding to Newcastle supporters wanting to get rid of Allardyce because they didn't play the Newcastle way, he said, what is that? We haven't won a trophy for 44 years so maybe the Newcastle way doesn't work.
I'm not sure what the Arsenal way is, I think it is a generational perspective.
I always think we start using this expression to justify our unsuccessful attempts to win the league. "We didn't win because we're not doing things The Arsenal way" etc...
Herd wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:02 am

It’s both as you have stated - it’s a load of bollocks to dress things up and make it a marketing statement “The Arsenal Way”

We used to do things the hard way,
Winning 2-0 v Man Utd in a cup final and cruising, concede 2 late goals, then still go on to win it. :barscarf:
Coasting to a league title, 3 games left, 2 home bankers, lose 1 and draw 1, leaving us an impossible task to win at Anfield, we go and do it in the last minute. :barscarf:
Draw 1-1 at home to Juventus in the cup winners cup semi, leaving us needing to win in Italy, again a last gasp goal clinches victory. :barscarf:
Lose the 1st leg in 1970 of the EUFA cup final 3-1, turn it around at home with a 3-0 victory : : :barscarf:
Claw back a 10 point deficit on Man Utd and win 10 games on the trot to win another title :barscarf:

Is that the Arsenal Way ?

Lose finals we really should win
Swindon
Ipswich
West Ham
Valencia
Birmingham
Galatasary

Recently under Wenker we have had many games where we outplay the opposition, should be 3/4 goals up but don’t put them away then concede against our opponents only attack / shot to end up losing / drawing.

Under George we were the best footballing team by a mile in 1991, we won the league at a canter despite points deductions and a captain sent to prison.

We then became resilient, hard to beat, knowing that we were always likely to grab a goal v Wrighty and win 1-0 :barscarf:
That became the Arsenal Way for a season or two.

Off the pitch we used to be synonymous with class, respect, doing things in the right manner - not something that we can claim to do nowadays what with an absent American owner, sleeve sponsorship :roll: , 3 different kits a season, changing colours every away kit, charging sky high prices for shit, boring, coma inducing football, and suing an Italian hat shop for having the name Arsenal.......

The Arsenal Way is now just a catchphrase, a sound bite, a throw away gimmick that some PR person thinks sounds good.

I used to feel so at home in the stadium, or going to away trips, part of the Gooner brotherhood, we looked out for one another, now I feel like most of our match day attendees are so unlike me that I cannot stand to be in and around them.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Herd wrote:

It has become just that. I never really attributed it to our playing style I tend to think of it as part of our yester years when the club was universally known in football for being classy, having standards, when we used to do things the right way, when we used to have directors that wanted what was best for the club - that to me was doing things The Arsenal Way.

Playing football the Arsenal way - just a lyric in a song.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 2:50 pm
Herd wrote:

It has become just that. I never really attributed it to our playing style I tend to think of it as part of our yester years when the club was universally known in football for being classy, having standards, when we used to do things the right way, when we used to have directors that wanted what was best for the club - that to me was doing things The Arsenal Way.

That was always the meaning; it was not about our playing style. Unfortunately, the Arsenal way went South when the Board started selling out to the highest bidder and treating the fans like shit. Now we're no different to Chelski or Wallmart.

Sean

Post by Sean »

For me, The Arsenal Way is a cross between the GG-era and the Invincibles. Tough to beat and a brutal attack. None of this pussy sideways football of the past decade of misery that the former manager had all but copyrighted. Contrary to him, I want winning over aesthetics.

Other than that, The Arsenal Way was all about class and tradition (as in threads like this). Sadly, a lot of that has been washed away in the past 10-20 years.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 4:33 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 2:50 pm
Herd wrote:

That was always the meaning; it was not about our playing style. Unfortunately, the Arsenal way went South when the Board started selling out to the highest bidder and treating the fans like shit. Now we're no different to Chelski or Wallmart.

Thanks for the confirmation, there are days when I wonder whether it was all a dream.............

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:46 pm

I used to feel so at home in the stadium, or going to away trips, part of the Gooner brotherhood, we looked out for one another, now I feel like most of our match day attendees are so unlike me that I cannot stand to be in and around them.
This that them and those ^^. Fucking nailed it there Stuart. 8)