ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by augie »

clockender1 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:05 pm
Something to think about - who in 1986 was whelmed about the arrival of bould, Dixon and Winterburn after the likes of Nicholas, woodcock and Mariner had been signed and we won eff all ?

I agree with the sentiment of that - I go back again to my comments last summer where I said that emery had inherited a shitfest that was gonna take a few seasons to fix. If this summer we manage to remove cech, ramsey, monreal, wellshit, and (hopefully) mustafi and mikki (ideally ozil and xhaka too but that wont happen), then I will feel that it would be a good starting point to get us on the right road again. If the list of purchases includes the likes of Tierney, Saliba and dembele, then I will be well pleased cos it would suggest something resembling a plan as opposed to the usual seat of their pants gormless transfer performances that have become the norm for us.
Of course it should also be recognised that back then we had a manager that had experience managing in the leagues where bould and Dixon came from, so he would have had extensive knowledge of them. I would also say that the step up back then is nowhere near as steep that step up is now, plus back then we weren't competing with, and falling behind so many financially richer clubs, so we didn't need them to be superstars straight away

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:56 pm
clockender1 wrote:
Something to think about - who in 1986 was whelmed about the arrival of bould, Dixon and Winterburn after the likes of Nicholas, woodcock and Mariner had been signed and we won eff all ?

I agree with the sentiment of that - I go back again to my comments last summer where I said that emery had inherited a shitfest that was gonna take a few seasons to fix. If this summer we manage to remove cech, ramsey, monreal, wellshit, and (hopefully) mustafi and mikki (ideally ozil and xhaka too but that wont happen), then I will feel that it would be a good starting point to get us on the right road again. If the list of purchases includes the likes of Tierney, Saliba and dembele, then I will be well pleased cos it would suggest something resembling a plan as opposed to the usual seat of their pants gormless transfer performances that have become the norm for us.
Of course it should also be recognised that back then we had a manager that had experience managing in the leagues where bould and Dixon came from, so he would have had extensive knowledge of them. I would also say that the step up back then is nowhere near as steep that step up is now, plus back then we weren't competing with, and falling behind so many financially richer clubs, so we didn't need them to be superstars straight away

As you say GG knew (knows :lol:) what he was dealing with when it came to identifying the best of the lower leagues and it was his way or out the door. That said he showed some bottle easing the likes of Sansom and Anderson out for unknowns, especially after we beat the scousers in1987. Could you see any of our current crop of defenders who aren't fit to lace the boots....actually putting up with the drills that GG insisted on to get the defence working as one. They'd all flounce out after 5 minutes led by bellend modelling the latest in christ knows what demanding to ring their agents for a move. What GG did is what continually makes me believe that there are decent quality defenders to be found in our lower leagues. They may not be able to pick a 40 yard cross field pass but I don't want them to, I want them to be able to defend and that is what has been so much of a problem for us these past years.

The financial difference now is also off the scale. It was the Liverpool show back then and any other club that wanted to step up was welcome to try their luck. There certainly wasn't the Man City, Chavs aspect to footy. Now we find that not only are we behind citeh, the chavs and manure in financial terms but also the victims and quite possibly the scum too somehow.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

clockender1 wrote:
When I started supporting The Arsenal it was a club that had a reputation of making star footballers. Looking at 79/80 the players like Brady, Stapleton, O'leary, Rix, Price, Davis and the club captain Rice all can through the youth team structure. I guess Arsenal made Alan Sunderland a star player too. When we signed great players like woodcock, sansom, anderson, mariner and the superstar signing of Charlie Nicholas it was amazing that we couldn't win a thing.
So, when Arsenal go off the mainstream like signing bould, dixon, winterburn, alan smith and brian marwood it does tend to bode well for the club.
Obviously, signing a player like Bergkamp, Overmars, Arshavin and Ozil which were off the scale for Arsenal raises the profile of the club. However, the core to Arsenal's success has been home grown talent growing alongside established talent. It makes me smile when people say we are going to copy Dortmund, ajax, and Monaco club structure as we have been doing that cyclically since the late '60's and that cycle is coming round again. Only issue this time is we don't have the quality of leadership in the dressing room that the previous generations benefitted from.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Good point Augie and Jock, GG knew the lower leagues and Dick knows Spain and Sevilla and PSG.

I was going to mention Smudger - I remember the press and pundits suggesting that he was the lump of n that Leicester partnership too. :rubchin:

So like said above, I don’t care about the big names, I care about the Plan.

Leno, Sokratis, Torreira, Laca and PEA are quality - dozer, holding, Nelson can be quality with Freddie’s help, we just need to flesh out the team with the right players be them young, foreign or lower league.

And quick quiz here - who were the last Scottish and Irish players to play for The Arsenal ?

wibble

Post by wibble »

Without googling it I can’t think of anyone since Charlie Nicholas and David o Leary!

There’s definitely been some Irish players since but can’t think of any off the top of my head!

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

wibble wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:38 am
Without googling it I can’t think of anyone since Charlie Nicholas and David o Leary!

There’s definitely been some Irish players since but can’t think of any off the top of my head!
Eddie McGoldrick

John F

Post by John F »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:07 am
wibble wrote:

Eddie McGoldrick
Paul Dickov or was he Russian ?

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

John F wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:51 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
wibble wrote:

Eddie McGoldrick

Yeah I'd say Dickov too, Jim Will was around in the mid 90s (keeper) but never got a game and currently we have the young lad Gilmour who is supposed to be a prospect in the youth team who has yet to debut.

Irish, that's got to be the lad playing at the moment, you know Micky T something or other :lol: Oh and Iwobi's gran is half Irish too apparently :rubchin: :box:

augie

Post by augie »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
wibble wrote:

Eddie McGoldrick

Graham Barrett made 2 appearances in the 99/00 season - he was definitely one that never fulfilled the massive potential he displayed in our youth teams :(
Apparently he is now proclaiming himself to be an agent, and was most recently seen 2 weeks ago kicking up a stink at the kennedy cup (biggest schoolboy tournament in europe) cos his son wasnt getting enough game time for the dominating ddsl team :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:43 am
John F wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:51 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
wibble wrote:

Eddie McGoldrick

Yeah I'd say Dickov too, Jim Will was around in the mid 90s (keeper) but never got a game and currently we have the young lad Gilmour who is supposed to be a prospect in the youth team who has yet to debut.

Irish, that's got to be the lad playing at the moment, you know Micky T something or other :lol: Oh and Iwobi's gran is half Irish too apparently :rubchin: :box:

Fcuk off - I know that he is a fat b.astard so there is a lot of him, but there is no way any of that is Irish :evil: :evil: :box: :box:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Christ that was quick, got one :fishing:

:lol:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Here we go again, talking about the past because the club is in such a state in the present, thanks to Wiggy allowing SFB and Ivan the terrible to run it into the ground.

When are people going to get it through their thick skulls that there is no coming back from this sh!tfest, stop kidding yourselves, the quicker the club devalues the better so that it might making wiggy think about getting out.

I can't see it though, he will just turn us into the PL equivalent of the Colorado Rapids - a second rate loser team that never goes anywhere.

R.I.P Arsenal FC

Fiszman, Hill-wood etc. DON'T R.I.P

:evil: :twisted: :censored:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

I see there is talk of whether we might hold onto Kos rather than let him leave for Lyon. He has one year left on his contract and apparently we would want about £10M for him. That can only mean that the club aren't going to spend on a CB and stick with Sokratis, Holding and Kos which seems risky given the latter two having suffered serious achilles injuries this last season. Chambers is back so he offers some back up but it wouldn't take much to see Mustafi hovering too close to the first team for comfort.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

The plan is at least 5 years of mid table mediocrity and minimal spending on transfers

Looks like Palace could be getting new owners as well....for sure they will invest much the same as Newcastle, unlike our absent parasite

Good news being we will have Xhaha as captain next season

augie

Post by augie »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:15 am
I see there is talk of whether we might hold onto Kos rather than let him leave for Lyon. He has one year left on his contract and apparently we would want about £10M for him. That can only mean that the club aren't going to spend on a CB and stick with Sokratis, Holding and Kos which seems risky given the latter two having suffered serious achilles injuries this last season. Chambers is back so he offers some back up but it wouldn't take much to see Mustafi hovering too close to the first team for comfort.

Or they could be trying to entice interested clubs to make their bids asap - the world and it's mother knew last season that kos intended to go back to france before he had that serious injury, so I assume everyone knows that is still the case so offering a new contract would probably be a waste of time. Tell clubs that you are about to offer him a new 2 year deal, and they will know that the chances of signing him then will be much smaller and the asking price much higher. We know that AFC need money to finance new signings, so accelerate the process by getting players out asap.
Simples (in theory :wink: )