ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Jock Gooner

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:32 am
Jock Gooner wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:15 am
I see there is talk of whether we might hold onto Kos rather than let him leave for Lyon. He has one year left on his contract and apparently we would want about £10M for him. That can only mean that the club aren't going to spend on a CB and stick with Sokratis, Holding and Kos which seems risky given the latter two having suffered serious achilles injuries this last season. Chambers is back so he offers some back up but it wouldn't take much to see Mustafi hovering too close to the first team for comfort.

Or they could be trying to entice interested clubs to make their bids asap - the world and it's mother knew last season that kos intended to go back to france before he had that serious injury, so I assume everyone knows that is still the case so offering a new contract would probably be a waste of time. Tell clubs that you are about to offer him a new 2 year deal, and they will know that the chances of signing him then will be much smaller and the asking price much higher. We know that AFC need money to finance new signings, so accelerate the process by getting players out asap.
Simples (in theory :wink: )

Agreed, it should be simple in theory and I really hope that's the case but I don't have much confidence in the club anymore. I'm more concerned that they see keeping Kos for his final year as a cheaper (free!) option as opposed to getting £10M for him which leaves us £10-15M short when it comes to a mediocre replacement. It would be a way of kicking the can down the road for a year in the hope (misguided) that we qualify for the CL at the next attempt :rubchin:

I guess the £4M we'll get for Ospina will help towards a new CB if we do dust off the old wallet though :roll:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Redarmy wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:16 am
The plan is at least 5 years of mid table mediocrity and minimal spending on transfers

Looks like Palace could be getting new owners as well....for sure they will invest much the same as Newcastle, unlike our absent parasite

Good news being we will have Xhaha as captain next season
Yep, last one out turn off the lights, wiggy doesn't want to waste his precious time on Arsenal, so why the f*ck should I?, better hope those dumbed down zombie tourists and hipster thicko's keep coming.. :roll:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:07 am
wibble wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:38 am
Without googling it I can’t think of anyone since Charlie Nicholas and David o Leary!

There’s definitely been some Irish players since but can’t think of any off the top of my head!r
Eddie McGoldrick
I think he was the last Irishman though I think the last scot was a youth player - blonde hair ? I just googled it - Charlie Gilmour - released this summer, with only two EL and 4 EFL appearances, none of which I remember at all.

The last League appearance was indeed Charlie - 22 years and we couldn’t find any Celtic steel or grit at all in any position.

herbert

Post by herbert »

clockender1 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:11 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:07 am
wibble wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:38 am
Without googling it I can’t think of anyone since Charlie Nicholas and David o Leary!

There’s definitely been some Irish players since but can’t think of any off the top of my head!r
Eddie McGoldrick
I think he was the last Irishman though I think the last scot was a youth player - blonde hair ? I just googled it - Charlie Gilmour - released this summer, with only two EL and 4 EFL appearances, none of which I remember at all.

The last League appearance was indeed Charlie - 22 years and we couldn’t find any Celtic steel or grit at all in any position.
Last Irishman might have been Anthony Stokes ,1 appearance? He plays in Iran now for tractor fc :lol: a legend on the green side of Edinburgh for his performance and his 2 goals in the 2016 cup final win v Rangers

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Graham Barrett was one of the last Irish players I can remember playing for Arsenal..He played for Shamrock Rovers later (as did Rohan Ricketts and Kerra Gilbert) .
Graham Stack was the reseve goalkeeper when we won the title at the Lane in 04..Pretty sure he was an Irish international , don't remember him actually playing for Arsenal though..

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

On the subject of the last Scottish Arsenal player, could it have been Scott Marshall? That's going back to 1997, I reckon.

augie

Post by augie »

I know that we all slate the "red tops", but fcuk me the star really is no better than the beano or dandy

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... fer-latest

Firstly they talk about torreira going on an initial 2 year loan with a transfer fee to be paid in 2 years - yeah as if any club with fcuk all funds, would let one of their best players leave on loan and give themselves no money to replace him :roll: Secondly, because of this rumoured deal, us Arsenal fans are blaming gazidas - trust me, if our club sanctioned a deal like that, there would be a lot of people blamed before slimy ivan :roll:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Even if UE or whoever is in charge of transfers these days makes a couple of decent signings it will not be enough to cover the deficiencies in the squad. I give no credence to any of the rumours surrounding our team these days because the structure at the clubs highest level has not changed and therefore the leading causes of the off pitch problems at the club remain the same with or without the mad French bastard and the Slimey Snake oil salesman.

2 or 3 players is not going to be enough and i can't see us buying many more without significant wages off the payroll and funds generated, in otherwords Ozil and Mhiki at the minimum.

Seriously is there one single rumour being spouted on the rags or websites that has any level of credence and if so are any of them actually worth it, i'm doubtful.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:37 pm
Even if UE or whoever is in charge of transfers these days makes a couple of decent signings it will not be enough to cover the deficiencies in the squad. I give no credence to any of the rumours surrounding our team these days because the structure at the clubs highest level has not changed and therefore the leading causes of the off pitch problems at the club remain the same with or without the mad French bastard and the Slimey Snake oil salesman.

2 or 3 players is not going to be enough and i can't see us buying many more without significant wages off the payroll and funds generated, in otherwords Ozil and Mhiki at the minimum.

Seriously is there one single rumour being spouted on the rags or websites that has any level of credence and if so are any of them actually worth it, i'm doubtful.
Thats the truth, such a poor squad and in the situation we have no money to spend compared to Man City looking to spend £80 million on Maguire
Going to be a long barren spell ahead, forget about winning anything in the foreseeable future
Did Kronke not say we he took over the club he's not in it to win trophies , just an addition to his sporting portfolio and legacy for his family.

augie

Post by augie »

Redarmy wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:43 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Thats the truth, such a poor squad and in the situation we have no money to spend compared to Man City looking to spend £80 million on Maguire
Going to be a long barren spell ahead, forget about winning anything in the foreseeable future
Did Kronke not say we he took over the club he's not in it to win trophies , just an addition to his sporting portfolio and legacy for his family.

If I was a proper citeeh fan (as opposed to those who joined on the oil gravy train :roll: ), I would be angry if we spent that type of money on maguire - surely a club of citeeh's vast resources and standing in the modern game, can attract a better centre back than this lumbering oaf ? This is where the market hurts AFC - citeeh throwing money around to buy average players, drives up the cost of every player in the market, and that especially hits those on a limited transfer budget like us.
I dont want to sound harsh when I say this, but so what if we dont win trophies for the next couple of years - did you honestly think that was a realistic possibility with the shitfest wenger left behind ? For years I have listened to crap about how spoilt and entitled Arsenal fans were, and I always fought against that opinion of us - there is no quick fix to this and fans need to accept that before we can move on. What is important for the next couple of seasons is not if we are winning trophies, but is how we are moving forward as a club, and if there is a clear plan and strategy in place - I said a couple of seasons ago that we needed our next manager (whoever that might be) to come in and wipe the slate clean and rid ourselves of the older players set in their ways (kos, mustafi, mikki etc), and instead build a new future by bringing in young hungrier players that can be taught and moulded properly (as opposed to the lack of tactical training under french cock). I said then that the next manager might not be around long enough to enjoy the fruits of that plan, but that we needed a manager objective and experienced enough to clear the decks and show the likes of ozil that they werent on easy street no more, and so far dick has by and large done that (albeit that the small squad has necessitated using them still).We are now in part 2 of that plan and that involves the introduction of those younger players - some of those players might be homegrown (nelson, smith-rowe), and some might be purchases (hopefully tierney and maybe the likes of saliba), but that plan will require patience of which seems to be in short supply amongst Gooners these days.

I know that this is gonna amaze some people (me being mr pessimist and all :wink: ), but if we offload some junk (mustafi, mikki, monreal and kos), and replace them with younger players like tierney, then I will be optimistic about the future for the first time in years. If we had citeeh's transfer budget and pep joined as manager tomorrow, it would still take a couple of years to make us contenders again anyway, so at least this way we might go back to a club that I can recognise again and a squad with younger players who might value the club and not see us as an easy payday with zero pressure

augie

Post by augie »

Have to say that I would be very disappointed if there was any truth to this -

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... al-palace/

I'm not saying that he isn't a good player, but I am saying that IF dick is gonna press the board to spend big on a player, then that player has to be a centre half

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

augie wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:02 am
Redarmy wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

If I was a proper citeeh fan (as opposed to those who joined on the oil gravy train :roll: ), I would be angry if we spent that type of money on maguire - surely a club of citeeh's vast resources and standing in the modern game, can attract a better centre back than this lumbering oaf ? This is where the market hurts AFC - citeeh throwing money around to buy average players, drives up the cost of every player in the market, and that especially hits those on a limited transfer budget like us.
I dont want to sound harsh when I say this, but so what if we dont win trophies for the next couple of years - did you honestly think that was a realistic possibility with the shitfest wenger left behind ? For years I have listened to crap about how spoilt and entitled Arsenal fans were, and I always fought against that opinion of us - there is no quick fix to this and fans need to accept that before we can move on. What is important for the next couple of seasons is not if we are winning trophies, but is how we are moving forward as a club, and if there is a clear plan and strategy in place - I said a couple of seasons ago that we needed our next manager (whoever that might be) to come in and wipe the slate clean and rid ourselves of the older players set in their ways (kos, mustafi, mikki etc), and instead build a new future by bringing in young hungrier players that can be taught and moulded properly (as opposed to the lack of tactical training under french cock). I said then that the next manager might not be around long enough to enjoy the fruits of that plan, but that we needed a manager objective and experienced enough to clear the decks and show the likes of ozil that they werent on easy street no more, and so far dick has by and large done that (albeit that the small squad has necessitated using them still).We are now in part 2 of that plan and that involves the introduction of those younger players - some of those players might be homegrown (nelson, smith-rowe), and some might be purchases (hopefully tierney and maybe the likes of saliba), but that plan will require patience of which seems to be in short supply amongst Gooners these days.

I know that this is gonna amaze some people (me being mr pessimist and all :wink: ), but if we offload some junk (mustafi, mikki, monreal and kos), and replace them with younger players like tierney, then I will be optimistic about the future for the first time in years. If we had citeeh's transfer budget and pep joined as manager tomorrow, it would still take a couple of years to make us contenders again anyway, so at least this way we might go back to a club that I can recognise again and a squad with younger players who might value the club and not see us as an easy payday with zero pressure
Yes good mail, can't share your optimism on the next few years unfortunately
The Arsenal to me are a great club, i dont give a flying fuck what anyone says one of the greatest in my opinion
I want to see them win the Champions league, challenge for the premiership, to see the scum Chavs win it before us was heartbreaking
The danger now is dropping down the table to mid table, drifting even further from where they should be
The club has been undermined in the last few years, with that slime ball Gazidis, the strange transfer dealings which only seem to wind up everyone concerned, the signing of Cech as if we are a club of convenience so as he can keep his pension up before going to Chavs, and of course the Ozil debacle....and this parasite owner who has no interest in the club
Could well be a long spell of nothing much like before winning the Fairs Cup in 69...hope I'm wrong

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:34 pm
On the subject of the last Scottish Arsenal player, could it have been Scott Marshall? That's going back to 1997, I reckon.
Seriously good shout.....had forgotten all about him :barscarf:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Redarmy wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:26 am
augie wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:02 am
Redarmy wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Yes good mail, can't share your optimism on the next few years unfortunately
The Arsenal to me are a great club, i dont give a flying fuck what anyone says one of the greatest in my opinion
I want to see them win the Champions league, challenge for the premiership, to see the scum Chavs win it before us was heartbreaking
The danger now is dropping down the table to mid table, drifting even further from where they should be
The club has been undermined in the last few years, with that slime ball Gazidis, the strange transfer dealings which only seem to wind up everyone concerned, the signing of Cech as if we are a club of convenience so as he can keep his pension up before going to Chavs, and of course the Ozil debacle....and this parasite owner who has no interest in the club
Could well be a long spell of nothing much like before winning the Fairs Cup in 69...hope I'm wrong

We all think that the Arsenal are a great club but unfortunately that counts for nothing these days with wiggy in charge. I'm all for giving youth a chance and with our financial situation there doesn't really seem to be any other option. There is no point in buying a series of foreign journeymen who aren't good enough for us. I want to see players who actually have some pride and value playing for the Arsenal in front of 60k crowds. If there is effort applied then the crowd will back the team but another season of Xhaka playing stupid passes in front of the defence followed by the howls of anguish that he's done it again and ozil wandering aimlessly about like a little lost lamb is too much. If we are going to finish 5th or 6th then we might as well take a chance on the kids and if that means a couple of years of mid table finishes then so what, it would appear that we are likely to head that way anyhow. The problem is that it's maybe too much of a gamble for Dick as he heads towards season two and his contract break.

augie

Post by augie »

Always been a journo that I would have respect for

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... ier-League