ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
The Arsenal Way

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by The Arsenal Way »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:20 pm
The Arsenal Way wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:13 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:05 pm
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:59 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:43 am
is he any good?

to be honest I never heard of him
I've had a few pairs of his jeans :lol:
:lol: :lol:

We're still apparently paying a fortune for a winger when we need that defence sorting :?

I guess we are prepared to pay for somebody where there is a sell on value to him whereas zaha (apart from not being worth the money) would not offer that future 'opportunity.'

Jock.
Just perhaps we will get a new shiny CB to join Tierney before the window closes?
Then offload some of the dross to other European clubs after OUR transfer window closes?
This could be the bestest ever transfer window ever :D
Here's hoping.

A shiny new CB and Tierney.......what's you name?......Santa :lol:

Glass half empty there mate? :wink:
Whodafunk we were gonna spend squillions on Pepe anyway? :rubchin:

Just you wait until augie (hi-jacker of mcdowells annual transfer threads) gets outta his bed today. :lol:

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

never really heard of this guy - but clearly he's very highly rated and seems a better investment that zaha

get it done raul :barscarf:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

The Arsenal Way wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:39 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:20 pm
The Arsenal Way wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:13 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:

We're still apparently paying a fortune for a winger when we need that defence sorting :?

I guess we are prepared to pay for somebody where there is a sell on value to him whereas zaha (apart from not being worth the money) would not offer that future 'opportunity.'

Jock.
Just perhaps we will get a new shiny CB to join Tierney before the window closes?
Then offload some of the dross to other European clubs after OUR transfer window closes?
This could be the bestest ever transfer window ever :D
Here's hoping.

A shiny new CB and Tierney.......what's you name?......Santa :lol:

Glass half empty there mate? :wink:
Whodafunk we were gonna spend squillions on Pepe anyway? :rubchin:

Just you wait until augie (hi-jacker of mcdowells annual transfer threads) gets outta his bed today. :lol:

Nah not at all :lol: If we get Tierney and a CB in addition to this lad Pepe then it's most definitely glass quarter full time :rubchin: :lol:

Just so long as we also get rid of most of the dross.......rather than Auba to balance the books.

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

clockender1 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:30 pm
See.
He can also play centre forward, Zaha can’t. Pepe will be our Rashford.
He can also operate on either flanks, meaning should we wish to put Auba on the left, Pepe can play on the right and Laca in the middle.

As long as this means we get rid of Iwobi I am happy.

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

rodders999 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:15 pm
Just a little worried we will sell one of the two Crown Jewels up front to balance the books before the window closes.

Always got to be massively suspicious of the bastards.
David @ BBC said selling Auba/Laca isn't on the books to finance Pepe. Obviously means nothing until the transfer window closes but I am positive with all the fuck ups we had, this time we are maybe looking at something positive.

Auba - Laca - Pepe prospect is.. gold as long as we somewhat give a good player for Papa to work with.

corkbarry

Post by corkbarry »

22 goals last season in an inferior league to the PL. 7 of them were penalties so i will wait and see before i pass judgement!

Does his signing mean a 4 3 3 formation? Nineteen 4 3 wins at home :barscarf:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Jock Gooner wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
is he any good?

I know right, seems strange considering we only had 45 mil.

Thing is for a club that has had world class centre halves at the heart of its success we have failed to buy one for well over a decade, what I'd do for a squilacci (sp?) or stepanovs now :shock:

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

corkbarry wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:17 pm
22 goals last season in an inferior league to the PL. 7 of them were penalties so i will wait and see before i pass judgement!

Anything that we buy outside England will be inferior to the PL but that doesn't mean he isn't as good as he is, there's more to the player than stats and Laca is a prime example. Hazard had the same amount of goals and a shitload of assists prior to joining the Chavs and we all know what he turned out to be, albeit he was 21 and Pepe is 24.

augie

Post by augie »

I just cannot buy into the story that we are signing pepe, and tbh I'm not sure if I would want us to sign him

For starters I am still in the "where the fcuk are our quality defensive signings" mode ? Right now there isn't an attacking player in the world (and I include messi and aguero in there) that I would sign ahead of (at least) 2 quality defensive signings. I don't give a fcuk if you buy into the reported £45m transfer budget or if you believe that it is a total smokescreen, the reality is that we haven't got a bottomless pit of money available, and £70m is way too big of an outlay when we have zero prospect of raising funds through selling the dross (mikki, mustafi, iwobi, jenks).

Secondly, while I am not totally sold on Zaha, I would prioritise signing a winger that knows the premier league over an unknown and unproven winger from abroad. The type of money involved is significant even in todays market, so surely there would be a more proven option ?

Midz

Post by Midz »

Have to say that I was surprised to read about this transfer today.

He looks quite good and also Utd and Liverpool amongst others were in for him which speaks volumes. Usually no one else wants the type of player we've been going for.

Let's hope they can confirm this one in the next couple days and put to bed the bs about zaha.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:19 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
is he any good?

I know right, seems strange considering we only had 45 mil.

Thing is for a club that has had world class centre halves at the heart of its success we have failed to buy one for well over a decade, what I'd do for a squilacci (sp?) or stepanovs now :shock:

I read somewhere (the Q&A event?) that the club had never put a transfer figure out there. Presumably a journo looked at the books and applied the self sustaining model to come up with the £45M....which wasn't an unreasonable shout tbf.

When have we.....or any PL team for that matter....had continued success without a really good defence :?

augie

Post by augie »

Midz wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:04 pm
Have to say that I was surprised to read about this transfer today.

He looks quite good and also Utd and Liverpool amongst others were in for him which speaks volumes. Usually no one else wants the type of player we've been going for.

Let's hope they can confirm this one in the next couple days and put to bed the bs about zaha.

If we don't believe every rumoured signing linked to us, then why would we believe rumours for other clubs ? The meeja say that the victims and manure were after him, but that is just rumours and not necessarily true - I doubt very much that the victims are after him tbh

augie

Post by augie »

Is this guy better than the Brazilian winger soares ? I ask this because I don't know enough of either player if I am honest

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

Rian1 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:28 pm
corkbarry wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:17 pm

Anything that we buy outside England will be inferior to the PL but that doesn't mean he isn't as good as he is, there's more to the player than stats and Laca is a prime example. Hazard had the same amount of goals and a shitload of assists prior to joining the Chavs and we all know what he turned out to be, albeit he was 21 and Pepe is 24.
Any transfer can go either way buying any player be it from England or overseas.

IF it goes through don't expect any player to hit the ground running,if so a bonus you fellas know Bergkamp,Pires etc world class players took time to settle.

Pepe will scare defenders,pace and good finishing if it happens we will have an absolute rapid front line on the break.

Scored penalties most of which were fouls on him,

IF it happens still need a defender or two,hope we get Tierney over the line.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Lille president quoted that three UK clubs have shown interest in Pepe as well as some in Spain and Italy.