ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Cannon

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Cannon »

think the idea is to bring in a body to shore up the defence with a view to going big on a CB in the summer. so it makes sense to me.

he looked good vs liverpool last month and from what ive seen he's got a footballing brain, although he's not very fast. but to be honest, having watched a plethora of braindead players over the years gimme a slower player with a footballing brain over a fast, brainless player. plus the brazilian league isn't exactly slow, there's plenty of pace and flair there so i think he'll be fine.

i don't get the 'we're going for the cheap option' narrative- we spent £35m on mustafi, how did that work out? martinelli cost £6m and he's out-performing our £70m signing.

one thing i wanted was a transformation in defence so this is a positive step towards that. i think after the summer our defence will look something like saliba, mari, holding + upemecano and id be delighted with that.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

Unbelievable, just heard VVD wants to leave in Summer. Hearing Juventus. This is from two sources that couldn’t be bigger or nearer the club. Medal/s then off. Don’t shoot the messenger.
I think this would be the start of a mass exodus if this is true.

augie

Post by augie »

Cannon wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:53 pm
think the idea is to bring in a body to shore up the defence with a view to going big on a CB in the summer. so it makes sense to me.

he looked good vs liverpool last month and from what ive seen he's got a footballing brain, although he's not very fast. but to be honest, having watched a plethora of braindead players over the years gimme a slower player with a footballing brain over a fast, brainless player. plus the brazilian league isn't exactly slow, there's plenty of pace and flair there so i think he'll be fine.

i don't get the 'we're going for the cheap option' narrative- we spent £35m on mustafi, how did that work out? martinelli cost £6m and he's out-performing our £70m signing.

one thing i wanted was a transformation in defence so this is a positive step towards that. i think after the summer our defence will look something like saliba, mari, holding + upemecano and id be delighted with that.

FFS this is the fastest league in world football and pace is an absolute necessity

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:09 pm
Unbelievable, just heard VVD wants to leave in Summer. Hearing Juventus. This is from two sources that couldn’t be bigger or nearer the club. Medal/s then off. Don’t shoot the messenger.
Why would they leave?

It's not looking like any other team is near capable of stopping them winning the league for few years

augie

Post by augie »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:33 pm
SydneyGooner wrote:
Why would they leave?

It's not looking like any other team is near capable of stopping them winning the league for few years

I have zero doubt that salah will be out of there next summer, but I cant see van dijk leaving though

Cannon

Post by Cannon »

augie wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:14 pm
Cannon wrote:

FFS this is the fastest league in world football and pace is an absolute necessity
sokratis is the 3rd fastest player at the club and mustafi is the 5th fastest.

Cannon

Post by Cannon »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:33 pm
SydneyGooner wrote:
Why would they leave?

agreed. why leave liverpool for juventus? and why leave the best manager in the world for sarri? doesn't make sense to me.

he'll have a premier league winners medal soon and it's not like juventus have a greater chance of winning the champions league out of the two clubs (if he's dead set on winning it again). i think he has a better chance of winning another CL at liverpool. so it doesn't make sense to me.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Some players may leave because they want to win competitions in other countries or at other clubs if they feel they've achieved everything in one place, there are other clubs out there they might wish to play for, Barca, RM, Bayern, Juve to name a few :rubchin:

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

From what you lot keep telling me Liverpool is a massive shit hole. So after winning the League and possibly the CL again can't see why they'd want to stay there any longer.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Maybe VVD is sick of playing for a manager who steals the limelight from the players on the pitch game after game.
They have had words already this season.. Wouldn't it be great if ,or more likely when, the Victims win the title that VVD ruined it by announcing that he wanted to leave and it was Klopp's egotistical management that was driving him out. Is that too much h to ask on a Monday morning ,is it ?

augie

Post by augie »

Cannon wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:09 pm
augie wrote:
Cannon wrote:

Are you saying that as a reason why the new guy doesn't need pace, or are you using it as a reason to say that we need a pacy centre back fast ? Mustafi and (to a lesser degree) Sokratis are the reason why we need an improvement at centre half, so more of the same would be a ridiculous move imo

augie

Post by augie »

I know that it is only the sun newspaper (before the midget mod points that out), but this transfer (even on loan) makes zero sense to me, which is why I wouldn't be surprised if it happens

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... -left-out/

Cannon

Post by Cannon »

augie wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:36 am
Cannon wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:09 pm
augie wrote:
Cannon wrote:

Are you saying that as a reason why the new guy doesn't need pace, or are you using it as a reason to say that we need a pacy centre back fast ? Mustafi and (to a lesser degree) Sokratis are the reason why we need an improvement at centre half, so more of the same would be a ridiculous move imo
you said pace is an 'absolute necessity' for defenders the premier league. 2 of our fastest players are mustafi and sokratis and they're utter trash.
Last edited by Cannon on Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:55 am
I know that it is only the sun newspaper (before the midget mod points that out), but this transfer (even on loan) makes zero sense to me, which is why I wouldn't be surprised if it happens

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... -left-out/
I think zero sense is a little over the top given that it’s been a problem area for a Long time now.

I can’t comment on Lemar as a player but signing a Creative player who can play on the left makes sense given that we’ve been shoehorning Aubameyang out there for 2 years.

It also makes sense if Auba is off in the summer.

No idea if he’s good enough though

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Arsenal's deal for Flamengo defender Pablo Mari is in doubt with the player heading back to Brazil. :rubchin: