ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GoonerMuzz

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Ridiculous to sign Willian, its hardly a position of need.... then again what do we know, after all most of us have wanted rid of Xhaka since he arrived and Wenger, Emery, Freddie and now Arteta play him regularly, not to mention his international manager and previous Managers at Borussia and Basel :banghead: :roll:

I can only think at least one of the other forwards is leaving or he is looking to loan out some of the youngsters :rubchin:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:24 pm
Ridiculous to sign Willian, its hardly a position of need....
An experienced, clever, creative, goal scoring midfielder is definitely a position of need!

I can understand people being against signing him as an individual but if not him, I’d hope we’d sign an alternative, as this current team is beyond bland!

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

g88ner wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:59 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:
An experienced, clever, creative, goal scoring midfielder is definitely a position of need!

I can understand people being against signing him as an individual but if not him, I’d hope we’d sign an alternative, as this current team is beyond bland!
Had quite a long what turned out to be heated debate with two other Gooners after the FA cup final, amazing how upset people get if you disagree with them. Apparently Arteta want's to build the side from the front, thats why we are being linked with Willian and Coutinho which despite my support for Arteta is utter madness in my opinion.

Willian on a three year contract at £250k a week is the exact opposite of our policy in years gone by when we only offered one year extensions. Not only that but to give a new player parity with Auba's mooted new contract just seems wrong to me. It looks like a done deal too, I can't help thinking if he does sign it will be a lot of money wasted especially as he approaches 35.

Coutinho on the other hand as a loan deal where we would pay half his wages makes more sense to me. He made a massive error leaving Pool when he was one of the first names on the teamsheet a few years back.

Over both of these teams, we STILL need to sort our defence out and get that fucking CDM. So I would rather here we have signed Partey first over the two mentioned above.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

:mrgreen:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:42 am
Over both of these teams, we STILL need to sort our defence out and get that fucking CDM. So I would rather here we have signed Partey first over the two mentioned above.
I don’t think of it as an either or, but obviously if signing an attacker means we don’t sign a defensive players this summer then my view would change.

If I was to rank our recruitment needs, I’d say:

1. Central midfielder
2. Central defender
3. Creative player
4. Striker (laca and nketiah aren’t good enough to lead the line effectively)

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:21 pm
g88ner wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:10 pm
Reports (correctly) say Willian is 31, however he turns 32 next week so he’d be nearly 35 once his lucrative 3 year deal expires.

Seems risky to me. Not many players that age are still top class :rubchin:

No wonder chavs won’t offer him more than 2 years.
Makes absolutely no sense to sign him - his age and contract demands should rule it out for starters, but either way he wouldnt fill a position of need cos we have too many that can play the position as it is. Signing willian (IF it happened) would be another example of arteta favouring an older players and that isnt right imo
I don’t agree with your view that Arteta doesn’t want to develop young players but I share your concern over signing Willian. 3 years seems a long contract.

That said, I’ve not watched much of him so perhaps they feel he’s the type of player who can contribute into their mid-30s like Vardy, Ronaldo, David Silva, Giggs, etc. Time will tell I guess.

subtleasaheadbutt

Post by subtleasaheadbutt »

g88ner wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:17 am
:mrgreen:
nut flush gooner wrote:
I don’t think of it as an either or, but obviously if signing an attacker means we don’t sign a defensive players this summer then my view would change.

If I was to rank our recruitment needs, I’d say:

1. Central midfielder
2. Central defender
3. Creative player
4. Striker (laca and nketiah aren’t good enough to lead the line effectively)
if I had the purse strings I'd spend it In midfield. We are so shit there I'm not sure how bad our incompetence is elsewhere. Just please sort out our midfield

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

If he can add Willian and Coutinho to midfield on a "free" (in its loosest terms these days) and a season loan, and still leave money on the table to restructure the defence, then I'm happy with that. The lack of any creativity in the middle of the park is a joke and as has been said many times on here, the (lack of) goalscoring exploits from our central midfielders is a joke. Its clear that Torreira will move on, as will Ozil if anyone wants to subsidise the wages we pay him.

augie

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
g88ner wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:59 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Had quite a long what turned out to be heated debate with two other Gooners after the FA cup final, amazing how upset people get if you disagree with them. Apparently Arteta want's to build the side from the front, thats why we are being linked with Willian and Coutinho which despite my support for Arteta is utter madness in my opinion.

Willian on a three year contract at £250k a week is the exact opposite of our policy in years gone by when we only offered one year extensions. Not only that but to give a new player parity with Auba's mooted new contract just seems wrong to me. It looks like a done deal too, I can't help thinking if he does sign it will be a lot of money wasted especially as he approaches 35.

Coutinho on the other hand as a loan deal where we would pay half his wages makes more sense to me
. He made a massive error leaving Pool when he was one of the first names on the teamsheet a few years back.

That I do agree with - giving willian big money at his age makes no sense for a club with restricted resources, and to give a younger coutinho less money on a loan deal makes financial and footballing sense to me (never been convinced about willian's ability to be consistantly good). I get the argument that we need more creativity in forward area's, but I also agree with g88ner that the position should be no higher than 3rd on our priority list.

I am still more keenly interested in seeing who is departing - sadly mustafi's injury has all but ruled out my (slim) hopes of him leaving this summer, but I want to see if the trust some fans have in arteta is rewarded by making the decisions needed to progress (get rid of average shit like xhaka and kolasniac for starters)

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:52 am
If he can add Willian and Coutinho to midfield on a "free" (in its loosest terms these days) and a season loan, and still leave money on the table to restructure the defence, then I'm happy with that. The lack of any creativity in the middle of the park is a joke and as has been said many times on here, the (lack of) goalscoring exploits from our central midfielders is a joke. Its clear that Torreira will move on, as will Ozil if anyone wants to subsidise the wages we pay him.

More hope of us signing mbappe and neymar this summer - ozil is our version of rodwell and bogarde, and is happy to see out his wealthy contract even if he never plays another second for us :roll: :evil: :evil: :censored: :censored:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:59 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

More hope of us signing mbappe and neymar this summer - ozil is our version of rodwell and bogarde, and is happy to see out his wealthy contract even if he never plays another second for us :roll: :evil: :evil: :censored: :censored:
I think there is interest from Turkey but only to the tune of £50k-£70k per week in wages, which is why I said 'subsidising' his wages as there is fuck all chance of anyone picking up the whole tab. £50k per week is still £2.6m a year to put back in the coffers for a play who clearly won't be used

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:43 am
augie wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:59 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

I think there is interest from Turkey but only to the tune of £50k-£70k per week in wages, which is why I said 'subsidising' his wages as there is fuck all chance of anyone picking up the whole tab. £50k per week is still £2.6m a year to put back in the coffers for a play who clearly won't be used

Absolutely - I would get him off the payroll at any cost right now. There will be a bad stench around the place as long as he is there, and we need to be willing to take a financial hit to get rid

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Let's just hope that the auba situation is sorted soon.

Either he signs or get the sale done quickly.

augie

Post by augie »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:00 am
Let's just hope that the auba situation is sorted soon.

Either he signs or get the sale done quickly.

Sale should only be done for a fee of at least £30m though - I get that his age is high, and I get that he has only 12 months left on his contract, but I would rather allowing him walk away on a free next season than to accept an insulting offer this summer.
I knew last summer we should have sold him for big money cos I knew keeping him wasnt gonna be enough to get us top 4 anyway, and buying 2 players with the income from his sale would have made the overall team better

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Apparently in Aubas contract we have an option of another year but for that extra year his wages have to be significantly upgraded.

He has entered the final year of his current £180,000-a-week deal, although that features a 12 month extension clause worth £20m for one season which must be triggered by December 31. But it is claimed Arsenal want to offer him fresh terms to remove that clause and secure his long-term future at the club.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I don't understand the argument on here on the potential signing of Willian because he is too old?? Same age as Aubameyang, does that mean he is too old to give a 3 year contract too?
Willian has come to the rescue enough times for the chavs this season and him leaving them, will make them weaker and us a bit stronger squad wise.
Countinho would bring us some creativity in the attacking midfield which is what Arteta's midfield is crying out for. Cellabos, Partey and Countinho would make an excellent combination in the middle.
It's obvious our back line for next season are already at the club, Saliba, Luiz and Mari, with Tierney and Bellerin/ Soares on the right so why do we need more defenders? We already have excess defenders in the squad. Defensively we are tighter at the back already with the average players we already have. I believe, once fit Mari will make our backline even stronger because he will become the leader at the back we have been missing, freeing up tierney to play in his preferred position. I'm not convinced about the rb/rwb situation but we need to see more of Soares who did gain more points on fantasy at southampton than any defender at Arsenal before Arteta arrived.
There is definitely a move towards portuguese/ spainish speaking defence, and the wider squad, which makes me wonder how will Saliba fit in.