ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:05 pm
I don't understand the argument on here on the potential signing of Willian because he is too old?? Same age as Aubameyang, does that mean he is too old to give a 3 year contract too?
Willian has come to the rescue enough times for the chavs this season and him leaving them, will make them weaker and us a bit stronger squad wise.
Countinho would bring us some creativity in the attacking midfield which is what Arteta's midfield is crying out for. Cellabos, Partey and Countinho would make an excellent combination in the middle.
It's obvious our back line for next season are already at the club, Saliba, Luiz and Mari, with Tierney and Bellerin/ Soares on the right so why do we need more defenders? We already have excess defenders in the squad. Defensively we are tighter at the back already with the average players we already have. I believe, once fit Mari will make our backline even stronger because he will become the leader at the back we have been missing, freeing up tierney to play in his preferred position. I'm not convinced about the rb/rwb situation but we need to see more of Soares who did gain more points on fantasy at southampton than any defender at Arsenal before Arteta arrived.
There is definitely a move towards portuguese/ spainish speaking defence, and the wider squad, which makes me wonder how will Saliba fit in.

Firstly you give auba a 3 year contract because he has earned it since joining our club 8)

Secondly you dont give lucrative contracts out to guys that age on the basis of what they did for other clubs - we did that with helmet head when the chavs had seen he was a busted flush, and should never walk that path again. I would always look at the way a players current club is dealing with negotiations - maybe they see a medical reason for only offering 2 years, or maybe they have seen a continual decline which suggests that he wont be at the required level in 2 seasons time ? Either way if they dont reward him for what he has done for them, then we certainly shouldnt

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Sorry but I disagree that Willian fills an area of need, he is neither a CM or even an ACM. More often he finds himself in wide positions coming in to the middle rather than driving directly through the middle and scoring/creating which is what we need, also whether we like it or not Xhaka appears to be here to stay and therefore needs a more conventional CM beside him rather than someone who roams all over the pitch.

Arteta seems wedded to 5-2-3 or 3-4-3 so either way you end up with Xhaka holding the midfield and you cannot afford to have him on his own in there :roll:

If Xhaka goes then maybe Willian or preferably Coutinho are viable options but as long as the Swiss Fannybulge remains then we're screwed because with one of those two playing along side Xhaka you have a gaping hole through which the Titanic as it is now could sail with only Xhaka protecting it :rubchin:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

NEW: Willian has told friends he wants to join #AFC and is prepared to reject a bigger pay day elsewhere to make it happen. Full story.
https://t.co/RMj8vyiCsh

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

So handy that all the players we are targeting have Kia as their agent, such a coincidence :roll:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

rodders999 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:19 pm
So handy that all the players we are targeting have Kia as their agent, such a coincidence :roll:
I guess Edu and Raul are getting 'mates rates', probably not the club though :rubchin: :roll:

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

Doesn’t everyone know Kia Joorabchian is our Dominic Cummings. He’s making all the decisions. Every major signing over the next few years will be one of his. Get used to it.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

The Willian deal will be a lot less money than originally negotiated apparently.
Arteta wants to play a 433 next year.

augie

Post by augie »

goonertux wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:35 pm
Doesn’t everyone know Kia Joorabchian is our Dominic Cummings. He’s making all the decisions. Every major signing over the next few years will be one of his. Get used to it.

Even the papers this morning are talking about the fans being unhappy with the amount of influence kia has - if that kind of thing is in the public domain it MIGHT give the club and kia himself a reason to pause. Kia deals with many clubs I would imagine, and it wouldnt be in his best interests to be seen as too cosy with any particular club

Block93

Post by Block93 »

Willian is absolutely proven quality. He's actually a year younger than Messi and three years younger than Ronaldo, and they're still going strong.

Some players are capable of playing way beyond 30 at a very high level, largely down to their genetics and physique I suppose, and I think Willian fits into that category. No better player in the PL for taking on and beating a defender from a standing start. He's a lot more mobile than Laca for example, who is much younger.

So he costs £10m a year wages - even if he plays for one season only, there'd be no shortage of takers in China afterwards, at that level.

I don't see it as a great risk. As a free transfer, it's just his wages. And there'd be some very decent marketing payback as well.

For a year or two, he could be a revelation, and on a much better playing surface too.

Even over three years, it only costs the Iwobi money, after all.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:19 pm
Sorry but I disagree that Willian fills an area of need, he is neither a CM or even an ACM. More often he finds himself in wide positions coming in to the middle rather than driving directly through the middle and scoring/creating which is what we need, also whether we like it or not Xhaka appears to be here to stay and therefore needs a more conventional CM beside him rather than someone who roams all over the pitch.

Arteta seems wedded to 5-2-3 or 3-4-3 so either way you end up with Xhaka holding the midfield and you cannot afford to have him on his own in there :roll:

If Xhaka goes then maybe Willian or preferably Coutinho are viable options but as long as the Swiss Fannybulge remains then we're screwed because with one of those two playing along side Xhaka you have a gaping hole through which the Titanic as it is now could sail with only Xhaka protecting it :rubchin:

Spot on Muzz. It looks as though Xhaka is Arteta's go to centre mid and as long as he's playing there we'd need a new PV4 beside him to partially make up for the chaos he causes. As you say, Willian is a winger rather than a centre mid and although I'm not necessarily against the signing, I'd like to think that Martinelli and Saka can do that job.

Coutinho, who was quality at Liverpool, would offer zero protection in centre mid, so you're right, with only Xhaka offering a defensive aspect (I use the term incredibly loosely), we'd be leaking like a rusty sieve.

We're all bored with saying it, but as long as Xhaka is in the middle of the park, we're fucked.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:13 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:43 am
augie wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:59 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:52 am
If he can add Willian and Coutinho to midfield on a "free" (in its loosest terms these days) and a season loan, and still leave money on the table to restructure the defence, then I'm happy with that. The lack of any creativity in the middle of the park is a joke and as has been said many times on here, the (lack of) goalscoring exploits from our central midfielders is a joke. Its clear that Torreira will move on, as will Ozil if anyone wants to subsidise the wages we pay him.

More hope of us signing mbappe and neymar this summer - ozil is our version of rodwell and bogarde, and is happy to see out his wealthy contract even if he never plays another second for us :roll: :evil: :evil: :censored: :censored:
I think there is interest from Turkey but only to the tune of £50k-£70k per week in wages, which is why I said 'subsidising' his wages as there is fuck all chance of anyone picking up the whole tab. £50k per week is still £2.6m a year to put back in the coffers for a play who clearly won't be used

Absolutely - I would get him off the payroll at any cost right now. There will be a bad stench around the place as long as he is there, and we need to be willing to take a financial hit to get rid
If he won't move on to allow us to at least get some part payment for his wages, then I'd genuinely tell him that his presence is not required at the club and to sit at home and pick up his money. We were lumbered by the Old Fraud and Slippery Ivan and there's fuck all we can do about it, except take the cost on the chin, keep him out the way and forget about him.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

subtleasaheadbutt wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:23 am
g88ner wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:17 am
:mrgreen:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:42 am
Over both of these teams, we STILL need to sort our defence out and get that fucking CDM. So I would rather here we have signed Partey first over the two mentioned above.
I don’t think of it as an either or, but obviously if signing an attacker means we don’t sign a defensive players this summer then my view would change.

If I was to rank our recruitment needs, I’d say:

1. Central midfielder
2. Central defender
3. Creative player
4. Striker (laca and nketiah aren’t good enough to lead the line effectively)
if I had the purse strings I'd spend it In midfield. We are so shit there I'm not sure how bad our incompetence is elsewhere. Just please sort out our midfield

^^^ THIS !

We are absolutely woeful in centre midfield and have been for a long time. No creativity and no defensive capability. It's the engine room and the guts of the team. We're quick to lambast our defence (and of course there are weaknesses there) and to criticise our front men, but one group get zero protection, while the other gets very modest service.

As "subtle" says, it can be very difficult to assess how good or bad we are in other areas, when the middle of the park is so poor. He makes a very good point.

I actually think that Ceballos has been pretty good since lockdown (very good in the Cup Final) and with a proper defensively minded guy next to him, I'd be happy to give him a chance. Likewise if we got Coutinho and played him as an attacking centre mid. Trouble is....and you know what's coming....it looks certain that Torreira and Guendouzi are off and equally certain that the Albanian is very much here to stay as Mikel's numero uno central midfielder. In which case, it doesn't much matter who we do, or don't buy or sell and the defence and attack will continue to be compromised.

Said it many times before, but you can't carry a passenger and especially a liability of a passenger, in centre mid.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal have moved ahead in the race to sign Lille defender Gabriel after a meeting at the start of the week when the Brazilian found the North London club's reps to be particularly convincing, but Manchester United haven't given up yet, per La Voix du Nord. More follows.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

According to @johncrossmirror, #Arsenal were offered Coutinho. But are not pursuing that deal. Willian highly likely to sign for Arsenal but that means Coutinho won't join as they won't sign both. https://t.co/YBPpwCbv8U

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Willian is certainly worth a punt at the wages quoted.We need a defensive mid though I wonder if the Partley deal is still alive :rubchin: we need to get that wee bug eyed Turkish/German whatever the fuck he is lazy fucker out the door.Interesting to see Sanchez done a deal with manure on his remaining contract..probably took a smaller lump sum to allow him to go to Italy,can't see that happening with lazybones though..350k per week we might need to take the hit on 300k of that to get him away.It would be money well spent to get his stench out of the place imo.