ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner265

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by gooner265 »

Gabriel Magalhães will sign for Arsenal tomorrow. He rejected Manchester United’s more lucrative offer. The player preferred the project personally presented by Mikel Arteta. [@furlanvs] #afc

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal secured full agreement from Gabriel over his £25million transfer last night. The club are still finalising their plans for his medical in light of quarantine protocols but he'll be a huge addition for Mikel Arteta when he's available. https://t.co/omUHJZNkyw

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:18 pm
Beat me to it Jock, :D
Not looking to usurp your position as the OG oracle.....merely adding some context :lol:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

I've been described as a lot of things over the years but I can safely say that oracle was not 1 of them :D

Kingralph

Post by Kingralph »

For those getting excited about the imminent arrival of Gabriel, the last signing we snatched away from Man Utd was Sir Flicksalot, currently being bombed out of Juve lest we forget.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:20 pm
I've been described as a lot of things over the years but I can safely say that oracle was not 1 of them :D
:lol:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Saliba and Gabriel, when was the last time the club had a pairing of defenders at 6ft 3. I am buzzing about these two, well done Arteta for selling our vision over manures money.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:20 pm
I think the word orifice got changed during spell check :wink:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:58 pm
Saliba and Gabriel, when was the last time the club had a pairing of defenders at 6ft 3. I am buzzing about these two, well done Arteta for selling our vision over manures money.
The potential, with Tierney, amd either keeper, of stability for years to come - both look quick, agile and able to feel with ariel threats ( not the Disney Princess type )

Excited for the “project” as Mikel likes to call it to get underway.....

A proper ball winning midfielder and it’s Party 🎉 🎈🍻🍾 time

Would like to keep Ceballos, but if not we need a creative player from midfield and it’s game on.
Last edited by StuartL on Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Kingralph wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:43 pm
For those getting excited about the imminent arrival of Gabriel, the last signing we snatched away from Man Utd was Sir Flicksalot, currently being bombed out of Juve lest we forget.
Are you saying Manchester United were not interested in Gervinho, Chamakh , Squillaci, Santos, Kolasnic etc etc.?
I thought we fought off top top quality clubs to bring them in.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:29 am
Nos89 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:59 pm
Signing Gabriel doesn't really excite me as I don't know enough about him, apart from the fact he is Brazillian and his agent is Kia Joorchabian. Ther are too many defenders at the club, more than GG had and I'm sure he once fielded a team with 7 defenders starting as there were no other players available. We could have a starting line up of Martinez, Bellerin, Saliba, Mari, Gabriel, Tierney, Mustafi, Luiz, and Chambers, with Auba and Pepe up front.
I also think we should sign up Foster from Watford and sell Leno, as I'd go with Martinez as the number 1.
Leno is still number 1. It would be fu*king madness to sell him. Martinez had a great run of games but you have to take into account that it was exceptional circumstances. No crowds are a huge factor, less noise and pressure on the pitch.

You'd swear by the way people are talking that Leno was absolute dog shite for us
I voted for leno as our player of the season, and you are wrong about the way people are talking about him. Leno has done well for us. I'd sell him simply because he has a higher saleable value, and earns more than Martinez, and from what I've seen, they are as good as each other. I'd also add that Martinez deserves his place as number 1, he's shown patience, stayed with the club, catches the ball and he's did not make a single mistake that has led to a goal in the run in of last season. Leno made howlers against spurs, chelski to name two i remember that lost us points and matches. Given our defence is mainly likely to be spanish/ potuguese speaking then the nod will go with martinez.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Express say #Arsenal will complete their £27m deal for Gabriel Magalhaes on Monday - but the Brazilian could miss the start of the season because of quarantine regulations. https://t.co/2j6NGmJeyp

Gabriel is due to fly into London in the next 48hrs - but under new travel restrictions will face 2 weeks quarantine due to coronavirus precautions, before he can start training with his new teammates. The Brazilian underwent a medical in France last week. https://t.co/OkL7R15Y6A

nut flush gooner

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... staff.html

DB10 touted to return as assistant coach. Giving Ozil a kicking in training would make that very worthwhile.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

If we get this Gabriel signing over the line then for the first time in as many years as I can remember, we will have finally undertaken a total overhaul of that area of the field - a position that has cost us god knows how many times, so fair play to Arteta for realising that it needs fixing. I still find it incredible that the likes of St Etienne and Lille can develop centre halves in a way that our much fabled academy seems unable to, and the club should be ashamed that its cost us over €50m to acquire a couple of young CBs but that isn't Arteta's fault.

Furlough/fire the whole fucking academy! Scouting networks throughout the world, supposedly world class coaching and facilities and they can't produce a CB of CF worthy of the name

nut flush gooner

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:08 am
If we get this Gabriel signing over the line then for the first time in as many years as I can remember, we will have finally undertaken a total overhaul of that area of the field - a position that has cost us god knows how many times, so fair play to Arteta for realising that it needs fixing. I still find it incredible that the likes of St Etienne and Lille can develop centre halves in a way that our much fabled academy seems unable to, and the club should be ashamed that its cost us over €50m to acquire a couple of young CBs but that isn't Arteta's fault.

Furlough/fire the whole fucking academy! Scouting networks throughout the world, supposedly world class coaching and facilities and they can't produce a CB of CF worthy of the name
In the scheme of things, given Gabriel hasn't cost £30m to get over the line its good business IMO. We have a young up and coming Brazillian international in the making, if he fulfils his potential he will be worth double or treble what we paid for him in a few years time.

You are right about the quality of English CB's, we used to produce the best in the World. Now we have the likes of Maguire and John Stones as our so called world-class players, which they are anything but.