ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mcdowell42

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by mcdowell42 »

Lyon have rejected a £35m + player offer for Houssem Aouar from Arsenal [@RMCsport]. https://t.co/Y5EJAtk6S9

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:26 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:43 am
Not sure what to make of Ceballos signing for another season.....mostly because I can't really work out what he is supposed to be. When he first joined, he was all tricks and flicks and looked like he was being lined up as the Ramsey replacement......minus the goals. Now, he seems to be a CDM minus the strength and tackling ability. Don't get me wrong, he's not a bad player but I just think he looks like a squad filler as we're short of numbers in that position and there's no transfer fee involved. If he and Xhaka are being lined up as the two regular CDM starters then I see that as painfully short of the sort of quality we should be talking about for a team allegedly with ambitions of making it back into the CL. If the Partey deal happens and he becomes a rotational player in midfield who can play in a couple of positions then that's no bad thing

Without wishing to go all modern terminology, I used to think that ceballos was a modern "10", and then I thought that he lacked the creativity for that position and felt he was more of an "8", but having watched him in the cup final I now feel that he lacks the courage and strength to play that position either so I dont know what his position should be :? As many of us have said on many, many occasions, playing alongside xhaka will always cripple whatever poor c.unt is lining up beside him, but by the same token any player in the "8" position must be able to win some ball himself, and ceballos does not seem brave enough to do that imo

Smith-Rowe will be the interesting one for me this season - as it stands he is probably the other natural "10" we have in the squad so should see game time, but if we play will i am there or buy another player for the position, then we should send smith-rowe out on loan again this season (preferably to a premier league side though), cos otherwise his development will be badly stunted with us

Given my preference for players coming through the ranks I'd really like to see smith-rowe given a better opportunity with Arteta's team. He seemed more capable than willock when emery used him in the europa league. Although, it is suggested he will be loaned out, hopefully to a premier league club. Sometimes loaning a player out too often can stunt their growth as again they have to get to know new team mates. Given that Nelson, Saka, AMN, Willock and nketiah are mainstays in the first team squad, surely it will help him develop more with people around him he knows.

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:17 pm
Lyon have rejected a £35m + player offer for Houssem Aouar from Arsenal [@RMCsport]. https://t.co/Y5EJAtk6S9
Not surprised, if I remember correctly, they rejected a £40M (maybe slightly more) offer from City a few weeks ago. I think they won't let him go for less than £50M as the release clause is £53M.

It's a shame because Guendouzi was somewhat valuable before Brighton game and Lyon would've thought about a £35M + Guendouzi swap but after the events he is probably worth close to 0 to anyone but Emery's Villareal.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Mail say Mikel Arteta has had second thoughts about allowing Rob Holding to leave Arsenal on loan this season. Newcastle’s move for Holding has now been temporarily shelved as they wait to see if #Arsenal have a further change of heart. https://t.co/rida0o32lW

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Real Madrid got absolutely fucking burned when they spunked away 60 million quid on James in 2014 after he scored a couple of screamers at the World Cup.

Can believe Everton have been dumb enough to sign him up now that he’s a total busted flush.

I remember shitting myself about 4 years ago when we were linked with him one summer, he was shit then, he’s going to flop massively over here.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Athletic say Aston Villa have lodged a second bid for #Arsenal goalkeeper Emi Martinez & are now waiting to see if they can land their man. https://t.co/C0FW51rkCD

Villa are understood to have submitted a bid which is now substantially closer to Arsenal’s £20m asking price. Arsenal will not let him go unless they can get their desired replacement in & this is currently the sticking point. Brentford insist top target David Raya isnt for sale https://t.co/FLvBX6AN33

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

£20 million would be extremely hard to turn down for a guy who 6 months ago looked like he’d never get a game for us.

One of them has to go, would we get an offer of more than that from a German club for Leno?

Decisions.....decisions. Tough call.

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:38 pm
£20 million would be extremely hard to turn down for a guy who 6 months ago looked like he’d never get a game for us.

One of them has to go, would we get an offer of more than that from a German club for Leno?

Premier league is where the money is at every year, so unless you are hoping for bayern to come in with a big bid, no other club in germany will be in a financial position to outbid even villa.

As I said to my youngest earlier tonight, this should be fire sale time at AFC - we need funds to buy, so most of the squad should be available if the price is right.

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:26 pm
Real Madrid got absolutely fucking burned when they spunked away 60 million quid on James in 2014 after he scored a couple of screamers at the World Cup.

Can believe Everton have been dumb enough to sign him up now that he’s a total busted flush.

I remember shitting myself about 4 years ago when we were linked with him one summer, he was shit then, he’s going to flop massively over here.

It's funny but at that price I would have taken a punt on him if we hadnt so many other holes to fill first - we lack a pure creator to play the "10" position, and I think that he wouldnt be a bad option

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

rodders999 wrote:

I would offer Martinez an improved contract. Say to him you have to prove you are our number 1 this season, fuck Villa we are the side with potential. The whoever doesn't cut the mustard sell next summer even if its less than £20m. I know its never happening but back in the day England used to rotate Shilton and Clemence.

I would much rather sell Bellend, Laca and Douzi for £70m between them.

augie

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:02 pm
rodders999 wrote:

I would offer Martinez an improved contract. Say to him you have to prove you are our number 1 this season, fuck Villa we are the side with potential. The whoever doesn't cut the mustard sell next summer even if its less than £20m. I know its never happening but back in the day England used to rotate Shilton and Clemence.

You are comparing apples to oranges there buddy - finances are not an issue in international football so you can afford to keep 3 quality keepers in your squad if you want to. We are a team that needs proper investment in the first 11, and there is no point in having 2 good keepers when you havent got any good defensive midfielder. Sell martinez and use the money to boost the kitty and help buy Aouar - that would be a serious upgrade for the team

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:55 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:26 pm

It's funny but at that price I would have taken a punt on him if we hadnt so many other holes to fill first - we lack a pure creator to play the "10" position, and I think that he wouldnt be a bad option
I think the 2 year contract for a player in his prime tells you all you need to know about James Rodriguez. Everton now seem to have the same transfer policy wenger had between 2016-2018. I'm just waiting for them to offer us £30m for Xhaka.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

augie wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:45 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

You are comparing apples to oranges there buddy - finances are not an issue in international football so you can afford to keep 3 quality keepers in your squad if you want to. We are a team that needs proper investment in the first 11, and there is no point in having 2 good keepers when you havent got any good defensive midfielder. Sell martinez and use the money to boost the kitty and help buy Aouar - that would be a serious upgrade for the team
I know thats why I said its never happening. As I said Martinez should start the season as number 1, and be told its up to you to keep the Jersey. If Leno doesn’t like it and Martinez proves himself over a season I have no problems moving on Leno next summer. That way we avoid Martinez going to another club looking like a baller while Leno has the same mistakes in his game as Watford away and Chelski home.

Martinez when he’s on it is the superior goalkeeper.

augie

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:09 am
augie wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:45 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

I know thats why I said its never happening. As I said Martinez should start the season as number 1, and be told its up to you to keep the Jersey. If Leno doesn’t like it and Martinez proves himself over a season I have no problems moving on Leno next summer. That way we avoid Martinez going to another club looking like a baller while Leno has the same mistakes in his game as Watford away and Chelski home.

Martinez when he’s on it is the superior goalkeeper.

Personally Leno would be my number one, but if arteta prefers martinez then he has to sell Leno cos we need the money, and it really is as simple as that. For me this could well be a test of arteta's confidence in himself - if he picks one as his first choice and sell's the other then you can see a guy that has the courage of his convictions, but if he keeps both then to me it will be a case that he isnt confident in himself making the right decision and will neither stick nor twist. Personally I would support him if he makes a choice and then sells the other keeper, even if his choice turns out to be the wrong choice - as it currently stands it is a tight call on which keeper to pick so he cant be blamed for whichever keeper he picks, plus if he picks one it should be a real boost of confidence to one he keeps cos I'm sure both will be aware that it will be a tough call to make

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Although I’d love to keep both keepers this season, I do think having two £20m+ goalkeepers, when you’re scratching around for money for new signings, does seem a tad extravagant.

Same with AMN and Bellerin. Make a decision on which has a future at right full/wing back and sell the other for £20m+ (I’m assuming Tierney will be left full/wing back once Mari and Gabriel settle in on the left side of central defence)

Torreira and Guendouzi will hopefully get us some money too because we’ll get next to fuck all for Sokratis, Kolasinac and Elneny.... and Ozil clearly won’t leave either.

No point loaning out Holding as losing him leaves us short on numbers until chambers and Mustafi are back closer to Christmas.

Selling Lacazette is fine by me but hardly helps generate funds as you’ll just end up having to sign a new striker to replace him!

Happy with our signings so far though.