ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
The Arsenal Way

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by The Arsenal Way »

TeeCee wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:43 pm
Interesting Tets statement about Soares -

"I’m very pleased, he’s a player we’ve been following. He fits our structure at the moment and the needs that we have in the squad. He knows the league, he has ben competing here so he doesn’t really need to adapt so I’m very pleased.

For me it clearly says we have no money to spend but desperately needed a defender so we looked at who was going to be dead cheap and available and he was it......and he's ok, with experience. Fair enough.

@dalewintonsupermarketsweep?

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

The Arsenal Way wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:40 pm
TeeCee wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:43 pm
Interesting Tets statement about Soares -

"I’m very pleased, he’s a player we’ve been following. He fits our structure at the moment and the needs that we have in the squad. He knows the league, he has ben competing here so he doesn’t really need to adapt so I’m very pleased.

For me it clearly says we have no money to spend but desperately needed a defender so we looked at who was going to be dead cheap and available and he was it......and he's ok, with experience. Fair enough.

@dalewintonsupermarketsweep?
That's the level Arsenal are at and have been for years now,we aint going to prise a 80 million quid player from another club to build a successful side like City would,we wouldnt turn a world class players head anymore,them days are over mate I'm afraid

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Not a statement you'd ever hear from OGL or most more experienced managers, I'm trying to work out if hes having a sly dig, being open and honest with us, or being used as a bit of a sacrificial lamb, probably a bit of them all :rubchin:

I wonder if the statement has been sanctioned by his bosses or if hes getting a little rebellious :rubchin:

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:13 pm
He went 16 games without a goal when we needed him most and Leicester out bantered us to the league.

Fuck that prick :banghead:

He was first choice striker in every game for a country that won the world cup, and in a month of tournament football, he never even had one shot on target much less score a goal :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

So a Southampton player on loan then :rubchin: Still competing with Europe’s elite I see :barscarf:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Two years to the day since we signed Auba. Best striker at the club since Thierry.

Enjoy his last 4 months chaps because he’s offski in the summer.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I don't recall being over excited by the signing of Steve Bould and Lee Dixon. They didn't turn out to be too bad.
Two sensible signings that the squad needs. Although why do we keep signing injured players?
Soares is a Portuguese international, the fact he was at southampton doesn't mean a thing. Mari looks like he will shore up the defence and play the system Arteta wants.

We have two defenders who make defending their priority. Hope they can deliver a more functional defence and make their moves permanant.

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:24 pm
I don't recall being over excited by the signing of Steve Bould and Lee Dixon. They didn't turn out to be too bad.
Two sensible signings that the squad needs. Although why do we keep signing injured players?
Soares is a Portuguese international, the fact he was at southampton doesn't mean a thing. Mari looks like he will shore up the defence and play the system Arteta wants.

We have two defenders who make defending their priority. Hope they can deliver a more functional defence and make their moves permanant.
Exactly right about Bould and Dixon. I do recall however being impressed a couple of years ago when we signed the current many capped Germany centre half, World cup winner to boot. All goes to show that only time will tell and at least he's recruiting for positions we all agree need strengthening.

Cannon

Post by Cannon »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:24 pm

yeah i agree with this. both look like level headed, sensible defenders and as we have a bunch of clowns in defence it's much welcome.

i think the summer will be big in terms of reshaping our squad. with mari in + saliba coming, and rumours we're going in for a big name defender like upamecano, it'll probably mean the end of sokratis and mustafi. on top of that, if we can tempt ozil into the US lifestyle then that would be a huge chunk off our wage bill, he's literally eating up 3 players' wages right now.

it's one reason i think the exec deserve some credit for bringing these 2 guys in on loans. they're low risk investments. if they don't work out we can wave goodbye and we won't be hampered by them like we have been with the likes of mkhitaryan, mustafi and ozil.

Midz

Post by Midz »

it's one reason i think the exec deserve some credit for bringing these 2 guys in on loans. they're low risk investments. if they don't work out we can wave goodbye and we won't be hampered by them like we have been with the likes of mkhitaryan, mustafi and ozil.
Exactly, it's a good move on our part like a 'try before you buy' scenario.
Many of the transfers in this window were in the same fashion. Signing any player on a long term deal is always a big risk and drain on wages if the don't work out. I think the loan with option to make permanent deals will become more popular now as transfer fees rise to incredible figures.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Midz wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:56 pm
Exactly, it's a good move on our part like a 'try before you buy' scenario.
Many of the transfers in this window were in the same fashion. Signing any player on a long term deal is always a big risk and drain on wages if the don't work out. I think the loan with option to make permanent deals will become more popular now as transfer fees rise to incredible figures.
£7-8M each for 4 months work is a pretty expensive try before you buy, also from what i've read we don't even have exclusive first refusal option on either of them, so maybe not as good as it seems even if they are successful whilst on loan..... :rubchin:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Cannon wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:56 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:59 am
Cannon wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:51 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:35 pm
Redarmy wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:19 pm
Fuck me we are going spending crazy now....

Arsenal are closing in on a £5million deal for Southampton right-back Cedric Soares ahead of Friday's transfer deadline.
Perhaps someone at the club does have a brain after all - the injury prone converted winger will be out again soon enough with a twisted ponytail, leaving Maitland Niles to be an absolute walking disaster again. If this boy is capable of actually tackling and has half a defensive brain he'll be an upgrade!
AMN has actually been one of the best performers under arteta so im not sure what you've been watching.
Rinse your eyes out - he's a shit RB. In your imaginary world of the massive improvement, I'm sure he's the best RB in the world
i rinsed, you should try rinsing your mind of pre-conceived notions. things are slowly improving but if you're perennially unhappy and want to constantly moan then you won't see it.

i also notice you're nowhere to be seen in post match threads when we win but magically appear in post match threads when we lose. not coincidence me thinks.
Perhaps you should try taking a look at the other comments on here and see how many other takers you've got for your "AMN right back of the century" award - he himself says he's not a right back and its painfully obvious to anyone with the slightest bit of football knowledge that he's a fish out of water there. Anyway, I for one am pleased that we've signed a proper international full back rather than play either a flaky, injury prone converted winger there or a kid still trying to work out what his best position is. Sorry, if signing Cedric has stopped AMN winning the Balon D'Or in your fantasy land

Thanks for stalking me also - its been a while since Robin L buggered off that anyone has tracked me on a thread by thread basis. Nice to know there's still some kiddies out there with lots of time on their hands in the spare room :D

Cannon

Post by Cannon »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:37 am
Cannon wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:56 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:59 am
Cannon wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:51 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:35 pm

Perhaps someone at the club does have a brain after all - the injury prone converted winger will be out again soon enough with a twisted ponytail, leaving Maitland Niles to be an absolute walking disaster again. If this boy is capable of actually tackling and has half a defensive brain he'll be an upgrade!
AMN has actually been one of the best performers under arteta so im not sure what you've been watching.
Rinse your eyes out - he's a shit RB. In your imaginary world of the massive improvement, I'm sure he's the best RB in the world
i rinsed, you should try rinsing your mind of pre-conceived notions. things are slowly improving but if you're perennially unhappy and want to constantly moan then you won't see it.

i also notice you're nowhere to be seen in post match threads when we win but magically appear in post match threads when we lose. not coincidence me thinks.
Perhaps you should try taking a look at the other comments on here and see how many other takers you've got for your "AMN right back of the century" award - he himself says he's not a right back and its painfully obvious to anyone with the slightest bit of football knowledge that he's a fish out of water there. Anyway, I for one am pleased that we've signed a proper international full back rather than play either a flaky, injury prone converted winger there or a kid still trying to work out what his best position is. Sorry, if signing Cedric has stopped AMN winning the Balon D'Or in your fantasy land

Thanks for stalking me also - its been a while since Robin L buggered off that anyone has tracked me on a thread by thread basis. Nice to know there's still some kiddies out there with lots of time on their hands in the spare room :D
you have this weird way of being very hyperbolic coupled with extreme negativity, i haven't said AMN is 'the right back of the century' or anywhere close to that, nor have i said he is a natural right back or should play there. i said under arteta he has been one of our best performers, that's my assessment of it and if a couple of people don't agree with me that's fair enough. i could quote dozens of people from social media that do. that's how it works, if we all agreed it would be boring wouldn't it.

as for the stalking, we're on a forum with only a handful of regular posters so it's not exactly difficult to spot the overly negative member is it. my point is you seem extremely negative and perennially unhappy at everything related to arsenal. if it's not moaning about this then it's moaning about that. wenger's gone, it's a new dawn and although we're not in the best position, it only takes a couple of key decisions to turn a club around. liverpool were on the brink of administration but made a few good decisions and now look at them.

do i think we could be on the right track with arteta? yes. we went from being absolutely dogsh*t and letting over 100 shots on our goal in 4 games - setting a record - to rounding off january without defeat and carrying on our unbeaten run this year. that's with the same squad of players, a decimated defence and players out of position.

this season was always going to be a rocky road, there'll be ups and downs but admittedly it's a right off. it's all about positive signs and little steps forward.

Midz

Post by Midz »

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... -transfer/

Why did he block this move, FFS!!

Ozil doesn't even make an assist or key pass anymore. He should be gone off the wage bill asap.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Midz wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:17 pm
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... -transfer/

Why did he block this move, FFS!!

Ozil doesn't even make an assist or key pass anymore. He should be gone off the wage bill asap.
I couldn't believe it either :cry: He should be fucked out the door along with mystify and that fannybulge xhaka..oh and numerous others but those fucking wagethiefs should be at the top of the list.