ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mcdowell42

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Mail say #Arsenal have opened talks over a £23m summer swoop for Feyenoord's Turkish playmaker Orkun Kokcu. Sportsmail understands initial overtures with regards to a move for the 19-year-old attacking midfielder are underway. https://t.co/AHczZbBdB9

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

Not sure why we aren't pursuing Werner from RBL. Only because Liverpool is at the top of the race doesn't mean we can't snatch him (albeit with what? No CL or EL, No title competition, early Carabao Exit and decent FA Cup run).

augie

Post by augie »

Rian1 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:47 pm
Not sure why we aren't pursuing Werner from RBL. Only because Liverpool is at the top of the race doesn't mean we can't snatch him (albeit with what? No CL or EL, No title competition, early Carabao Exit and decent FA Cup run).

Because he is distinctly average maybe ? Have you seen the guy play for germany ? In the german national team he scored 2 goals in 13 appearances in 2018, and whilst last years 2 in 6 games is an improvement, I still don't see the guy as anywhere near world class

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:08 pm
Rian1 wrote:

Because he is distinctly average maybe ? Have you seen the guy play for germany ? In the german national team he scored 2 goals in 13 appearances in 2018, and whilst last years 2 in 6 games is an improvement, I still don't see the guy as anywhere near world class
Have to agree. Can't see him hitting 20+ in the PL.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

For me indications are that those at the top are potentially building for the future with very little on the rumour mills about established older players.

Whilst I can see/understand the need for it it is a dangerous game to play because without improvement in league position and entry into the ECL we could end up as nothing but a stepping stone for ambitious young players looking for a leg up and I am equally of the opinion that would suit Wiggy because of the revenue it could potentially bring without serious investment. Matinelli has probably already doubled or trebled his price tag this season alone and as for Saka he is probably worth as much and being as he cost us nothing well the $$$ bells might just be ringing already in the real board members heads :rubchin:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:19 pm
For me indications are that those at the top are potentially building for the future with very little on the rumour mills about established older players.

Whilst I can see/understand the need for it it is a dangerous game to play because without improvement in league position and entry into the ECL we could end up as nothing but a stepping stone for ambitious young players looking for a leg up and I am equally of the opinion that would suit Wiggy because of the revenue it could potentially bring without serious investment. Matinelli has probably already doubled or trebled his price tag this season alone and as for Saka he is probably worth as much and being as he cost us nothing well the $$$ bells might just be ringing already in the real board members heads :rubchin:
Fully agree that the two youngsters will certainly have added a few quid to their values given their recent performances. To date Wiggy has been happy enough to let money from sales be reinvested in the team. That way he doesn't feel the need to get his wallet out and the sell on value of the club is just about preserved. At the moment he is getting away with it even though we are in a bit of a mess but if he is going to preach self sustaining then that means the cu.nt doesn't get to take anything significant out of the club if he ain't putting in. He breaches that arrangement which he imposed and things might just finally start to get interesting.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Mail say Mikel Arteta wants a ruthless clear-out at #Arsenal this summer to make way for new signings. Matteo Guendouzi, Sokratis & Ainsley Maitland-Niles are under threat, while Mesut Ozil could also be allowed to leave. https://t.co/ZhwKs8Ep6w

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

All speculation , throwing mud at wall some will stick and some won't . If one goes it's I told you so and if none leave you won't hear a word.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:

For me that's the way to go , build a young hungry team , dont want money grabbing pensioners getting a final pay day .

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

gooner265 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:30 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:

For me that's the way to go , build a young hungry team , dont want money grabbing pensioners getting a final pay day .
I dont disagree it is the way ahead but you only have to look at Southampton who have produced some pretty good players over the years and although admittedly a considerably smaller club than us on paper they've never really been able to kick on due to the way players have been poached as soon as they begin to come to prominance.

With our 'self-sustaining' model and lack of investment we could easily find a similar thing happening if success remains elusive, i just don't trust Wiggy etc that when money comes knocking they'll be capable of keeping any young talent or even want to where a profit is involved. :rubchin:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:

It is easier for a young inexperienced manager to coach young players. Nothing to do with hunger etc...
Arteta played alongside Ozil when he was world class. What is Ozil going to learn from an ex-player that was seen as inferior to him?
The kids are cheaper to a club that has dropped considerable down the financial list. If they want young players why aren't they going after Mbappe?
My response to your answer is "exactly!".

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

A11M11 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:18 am
All speculation , throwing mud at wall some will stick and some won't . If one goes it's I told you so and if none leave you won't hear a word.
Also known as the Ornstein method. :lol:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

All this talk of unloading ozil is all well and good but who's gonna buy him let alone pay his wages, he's here until his contract is up and he moves for free.

Other than that we will give him away for free and still pay half his wages.

Worst bit of business we've ever done as a club and I dont blame ozil for it one bit, he just signed it.

We have a lot of players on money no one else is gonna match so will be hard to shift, maybe our excellent negotiating team can get these over the line, who knows, what am I saying, course they fuckin won't :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:15 pm
All this talk of unloading ozil is all well and good but who's gonna buy him let alone pay his wages, he's here until his contract is up and he moves for free.

Other than that we will give him away for free and still pay half his wages.

Worst bit of business we've ever done as a club and I dont blame ozil for it one bit, he just signed it.

We have a lot of players on money no one else is gonna match so will be hard to shift, maybe our excellent negotiating team can get these over the line, who knows, what am I saying, course they fuckin won't :lol:
As Emery found out - got rid of all those on 'normal' wages, retirees or contract expiry players......but you try asking anyone else to pay Ozil 350k per week or Xhaka and Mustafi the sort of money they get here. We'll see how many takers there are for these clowns shortly.....

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

augie wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:08 pm
Rian1 wrote:

Who would your world class hitter be that'd be willing to come to a club with no European or league ambition and an average FA Cup run for the foreseeable future :D