ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Perryashburtongroves

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:18 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:44 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:21 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:31 pm
I think it's about time that we bit the bullet and sold Xhaka and Mustafi for whatever we can get for them in January.

Then we send an invoice for the balance to TOF as he was the clown that bought them. I'm not an unfair man so likewise any profit will be forwarded to TOF too as that only seems right.
I'd be tempted to pay people to take them off our hands :wink:
This ^^. But surely that is the only possible option? Anyone that's you know actually seen them play is not going to offer money for them.
Everton 8)
West Ham and Birmingham always used to take our rubbish. Those were the days.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:22 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:18 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:44 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:21 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:31 pm
I think it's about time that we bit the bullet and sold Xhaka and Mustafi for whatever we can get for them in January.

Then we send an invoice for the balance to TOF as he was the clown that bought them. I'm not an unfair man so likewise any profit will be forwarded to TOF too as that only seems right.
I'd be tempted to pay people to take them off our hands :wink:
This ^^. But surely that is the only possible option? Anyone that's you know actually seen them play is not going to offer money for them.
Everton 8)
West Ham and Birmingham always used to take our rubbish. Those were the days.
They have proved effective dumping grounds in the past.

But Walcott and Iwobi could only be topped by Emery joining them....hilarious :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

What would be hilarious would be Dick joining the toffees and instantly moving Comedy Iwobi onto Palace where he belongs. :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Because he got the tin tack Napoli are not due any re-compense for Ancelloti, so Kroenke gets a stiffy and the odds shorten. :(

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Is there any point for this thread this January window?

We haven't even got a manager in place who is going to sanction the transfers? This should show who really has the influence at the movement of players at the club.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

At the absolute bare minimum Xhaka and Ozil have to go, even if we make a massive loss. Those two above all others I feel are the worst influences in the dressing room although there will be others, their recent and not so recent conduct is not conducive to harmony or a good advert for the club at all.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The transfer window is almost as pointless as our league matches

No right back, the worst centre halves in the league, a collection of bang average defensive midfielders and not one leadership figure in the squad. Can't see that being fixed mid season

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

If they don’t bring in at least two or three new faces, regardless of who is manager then we are finishing in the bottom 6 in the PL. The value of the likes of Ozil and Xhaka has plummeted further this season so why play them, just get rid, even if we sell Ozil for 10m, it’s a win win situation. We have to sign some players who are half decent and who will fight.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

it's sad but I was hoping Ozil's statement on China was considered a breach of contract so we can sack him and get him off our wage bill :?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Forget this obsessing over unpopular players like Ozil and Xhakatard ffs. The absolute priority has to be getting rid of our shit defenders and bringing in better defenders or we are in real shit.

AFTER that absolute priority has been sorted then get rid of the overpaid and the idiots and the non-performers in the middle and up front.

We can't unload and replace 8 players in one go so we have to prioritise the 3 or 4 clusterfucks in the defence.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Who will buy our defenders.? Impossible to give them away at this time. I would add Aubameyang to the list of those that must be shown the door. Yes he is our top scorer but apart from that I think his attitude stinks. He is captain but as a captain he is as equally useless as his predecessor. Priority outgoings for me are Sokratis, Mustafi, Luiz, Ozil, Xhaka and Aubameyang. I'm not naive enough to think that they will happen in one go .
Arsenal are in a worse state than they were when George Graham took over, he recognised the malaise at the club and over a two year period he got shot of the old guard and replaced them with a mixture of youth and shrewd signings like Dixon, Bould, Richardson and Smith.
We are not going to attract proven Champions League and top international players at this point but we could attract players with a strong mentality and ability from other clubs around us. Dacour and the central defender (name escapes me) from Watford were excellent at Anfield on Saturday, Dunk from Brighton is a consistent leader. Arsenal actually need to sign a captain. I believe this is where Arsenal are, we cannot shop in Madrid or Munich etc, we are not in their league anymore .

augie

Post by augie »

Bradywasking wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:47 am
Who will buy our defenders.? Impossible to give them away at this time. I would add Aubameyang to the list of those that must be shown the door. Yes he is our top scorer but apart from that I think his attitude stinks. He is captain but as a captain he is as equally useless as his predecessor. Priority outgoings for me are Sokratis, Mustafi, Luiz, Ozil, Xhaka and Aubameyang. I'm not naive enough to think that they will happen in one go .
Arsenal are in a worse state than they were when George Graham took over, he recognised the malaise at the club and over a two year period he got shot of the old guard and replaced them with a mixture of youth and shrewd signings like Dixon, Bould, Richardson and Smith.
We are not going to attract proven Champions League and top international players at this point but we could attract players with a strong mentality and ability from other clubs around us. Dacour and the central defender (name escapes me) from Watford were excellent at Anfield on Saturday, Dunk from Brighton is a consistent leader. Arsenal actually need to sign a captain. I believe this is where Arsenal are, we cannot shop in Madrid or Munich etc, we are not in their league anymore .

I agree with most of that, except my priority departure list would read …...xhaka, ozil, mustafi, luiz, sokratis, lacazette and then a few others.

I understand why our midget mod argues why we should prioritise getting rid of defenders over 2 midfielders that we don't like, but for me this is about setting a tone - I feel we need to get rid of those senior players who will continue to have a detrimental effect on the team and squad behind the scenes, cos otherwise those players will influence any new signings we make too. I'm not expecting our next manager to be able to offload 5 or 6 players next month and bring in 5 or 6 to replace them, but with ozil (for example) we have young players like Ceballos, Willock and smith-rowe who can fill his role without purchasing a replacement. We need to sign at least one (but preferably two) good centre halves, and then if arteta is as good a coach as they say, he should be able to coach torreira and guendouzi into playing the defensive midfield positions properly - doing those two things alone should make us better defensively, and if we got rid of at least ozil and xhaka, then we would be looking at a much different team and different mentality.

If I'm honest, I have to say that I like the comparisons with the start of the GG era - too many established "stars" living on easy street, only to be moved on and replaced with a good crop of young players coming through. The one fundamental difference between then and now though, is back then we were able to replace those players with canny cost effective purchases from the likes of stoke/Wimbledon etc, but nowadays buying players from smaller English clubs is often as expensive as buying from Europe's top tier. I think that character is gonna be almost as important as ability when we buy our next centre halves - in the past I have never gone along with the mentality that we need to buy british or Irish cos I would have always argued that nationality is unimportant, but this time I have changed my stance - I feel that we need the mentality and attitude of a lewis dunk (or duffy for that matter), who will hopefully educate our young defenders the importance of defending over nice football. Those type of footballers are no longer as common as they used to be though, and that of course has driven up the prices (prices of dunk in the summer was extortionate), but we have to be willing to pay big money on this one position if we are to improve

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Graham re-built the club with shrewd signings from the lower leagues. Wenger took it up a level with shrewd signings from the French league, which was relatively unknown at the time.
We don't succeed with big name signings.
Fuck knows where arteta is going to get in shrewd signings from?
Although, look at the current Sheffield united squad, eight players have been with the squad since their league one days and they've adapted to the premier league quicker than our record signing.
I really think it's pointless signing new defenders. We're not going after a decent manager, what makes us believe we're going after a decent defenders?
I think we've got good defenders that just need to be organised and drilled properly in training. The easiest part of the game is defending, yet we make it look farcical. We could have Van Dijt in our back line and we'd still concede two goals a game because they are not being organised, and haven't been since 2006 when Keown was brought in as a defensive coach, which saw us reach a Champions League final that had Eboue, Senderos, Toure and Flamini as the back four. From memory Lauren and Cole were out injured for long periods of the season.
The egos need to go. Despite being the most talanted player in the squad Ozil has done fuck all under Freddie to suggest Emery was wrong to ditch him. I'd rather pay him to leave than have him lingering around the squad, and he can take Mustafi, Kolasinac and Xhaka with him.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:48 am
Graham re-built the club with shrewd signings from the lower leagues. Wenger took it up a level with shrewd signings from the French league, which was relatively unknown at the time.
We don't succeed with big name signings.
Fuck knows where arteta is going to get in shrewd signings from?
Although, look at the current Sheffield united squad, eight players have been with the squad since their league one days and they've adapted to the premier league quicker than our record signing.
I really think it's pointless signing new defenders. We're not going after a decent manager, what makes us believe we're going after a decent defenders?
I think we've got good defenders that just need to be organised and drilled properly in training. The easiest part of the game is defending, yet we make it look farcical. We could have Van Dijt in our back line and we'd still concede two goals a game because they are not being organised, and haven't been since 2006 when Keown was brought in as a defensive coach, which saw us reach a Champions League final that had Eboue, Senderos, Toure and Flamini as the back four. From memory Lauren and Cole were out injured for long periods of the season.
The egos need to go. Despite being the most talanted player in the squad Ozil has done fuck all under Freddie to suggest Emery was wrong to ditch him. I'd rather pay him to leave than have him lingering around the squad, and he can take Mustafi, Kolasinac and Xhaka with him.
Mate you have got to be kidding. Apart from injury prone Tierney who are these "good defenders"? That are all complete shit. No amount of training or coaching can turn a shit unimtelligent player into a good one with brains.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:08 am
Bradywasking wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:47 am

I agree with most of that, except my priority departure list would read …...xhaka, ozil, mustafi, luiz, sokratis, lacazette and then a few others.

I understand why our midget mod argues why we should prioritise getting rid of defenders over 2 midfielders that we don't like, but for me this is about setting a tone - I feel we need to get rid of those senior players who will continue to have a detrimental effect on the team and squad behind the scenes, cos otherwise those players will influence any new signings we make too. I'm not expecting our next manager to be able to offload 5 or 6 players next month and bring in 5 or 6 to replace them, but with ozil (for example) we have young players like Ceballos, Willock and smith-rowe who can fill his role without purchasing a replacement. We need to sign at least one (but preferably two) good centre halves, and then if arteta is as good a coach as they say, he should be able to coach torreira and guendouzi into playing the defensive midfield positions properly - doing those two things alone should make us better defensively, and if we got rid of at least ozil and xhaka, then we would be looking at a much different team and different mentality.

If I'm honest, I have to say that I like the comparisons with the start of the GG era - too many established "stars" living on easy street, only to be moved on and replaced with a good crop of young players coming through. The one fundamental difference between then and now though, is back then we were able to replace those players with canny cost effective purchases from the likes of stoke/Wimbledon etc, but nowadays buying players from smaller English clubs is often as expensive as buying from Europe's top tier. I think that character is gonna be almost as important as ability when we buy our next centre halves - in the past I have never gone along with the mentality that we need to buy british or Irish cos I would have always argued that nationality is unimportant, but this time I have changed my stance - I feel that we need the mentality and attitude of a lewis dunk (or duffy for that matter), who will hopefully educate our young defenders the importance of defending over nice football. Those type of footballers are no longer as common as they used to be though, and that of course has driven up the prices (prices of dunk in the summer was extortionate), but we have to be willing to pay big money on this one position if we are to improve
The only problem with the bit in red my shiney domed friend is that they can't.

Willock is hopeless. Like a scared ten year old girl trying to play with the men's team. Ceballos goes from looking ok-ish to complete gash. And Smith-Rowe has shown on every occasion he's had a chance that he is not near ready yet. One for the future definitely but right now to expect him to be the creator in this team in this league is suicide.