ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Jock Gooner

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Jock Gooner »

I think that we are serious about Zaha just as long as the player does all the hard work and pisses palace off to the point where they chuck him out - we might throw a couple of players in to sweeten the deal or a bit more cash. I have a suspicion that Zaha might just be one of those who grabs his chance at a 'big' club and turns it on.....Brian Marwood anyone? But a big part of me wants Nelson to get his chance this year.

I saw the piece in the Sun yesterday and it stated that the Italian media were claiming that a £62M offer was already on the table for Auba. I love Laca's workrate but Auba will always outscore him, as well as miss a shedload he's just that kind of player. If he was to go then I would fucking break manure's bank account as there is no comparison with Lukaku so every penny manure steal from Inter I would be demanding if they really want Auba. Personally I'd like to see him and Zaha play together as that's a lot of pace but if we do sign Zaha presumably we have to balance the books :roll: In which case I'm back to keeping Auba and giving Nelson his chance.

I can't believe we have fannied about over Tierney as much as we have. Mind you the spud going to AM for £22M has probably helped our position a bit - I'd like to think that this will go through but who the fuck knows. There is a part of me that suspects that if Dick was offered the choice between Zaha and say Baresi and Maldini in their prime he would opt for Zaha.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Remember the impact Wrighty had when he joined from Palace, now he was a great player

NickF

Post by NickF »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:17 pm
Remember the impact Wrighty had when he joined from Palace, now he was a great player
You're not seriously comparing Zaha to Wrighty?
On another point, if we were to sell Aubameyang, who is going to replace the 20+ goals he scored last year?

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

TeeCee wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:37 am
I think we’ll sign Zaha.
Kroenke would be very foolish to say what he’s saying if they didn’t back it up. They are a lot of things....but I’m not sure very foolish is one of them! First he said we’ll be excited, then he said we don’t only have 45m to spend. I think we have a fairly big signing incoming.

Zaha is a good player, just because he failed at Yahnited doesn’t mean he’s shit, we’ve signed plenty of good players over the years who struggled at other clubs. Personally I’d be delighted to sign a winger who can go past defenders for fun, and he can. Arsenal are so predictable and a good winger changes so much.
I just hope we sign a couple of defenders. I get the Saliba signing and loaning him back, he’s very promising but needs another season under his belt. We’ve often criticised the club for not taking the jump for a youngster, he’s not ready to step into the poisoned chalice of a CB place at Arsenal.
I agree with a lot of this , always annoyed me how smaller clubs got a class player for a good price and we were always in the secondary market and paid a premium ,van dyke, Salah and many of the dortmund players are good examples. We .need to try and exploit that and Salina and martinelli may be possibilities.

I am a big fan of holding and hope he continues where he left off ,we must get a quality left back though and hopefully a centre back but they don't come cheap these days but anyone but Mustafa .

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

NickF wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:33 pm
On another point, if we were to sell Aubameyang, who is going to replace the 20+ goals he scored last year?
Auba is a player we should build the team around - we shouldn't sell our best players in some kind of 'project'.

i don't think we are as hamstrung as the papers say. i'm being patient and staying hopeful - leno, sokratis, holding, chambers, torreira, laca and auba are all good players and Reiss, Willock and ESR show real promise.

i think we are only three players away from being a top three side.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

NickF wrote:
Redarmy wrote:

When Wrighty signed for us nobody knew what he was capable of, there wasn't a huge initial outburst although that soon changed. I remember reading the back page of the Sun and wondering whether he could do it at our place. He well and truly proved that he could :lol: In that same way the stage would be set for Zaha to prove himself.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

NickF wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
Think you are jumping the gun a bit there ............No I'm not comparing the two, just remembering a great player in Ian Wright

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:24 pm
NickF wrote:
Redarmy wrote:

When Wrighty signed for us nobody knew what he was capable of, there wasn't a huge initial outburst although that soon changed. I remember reading the back page of the Sun and wondering whether he could do it at our place. He well and truly proved that he could :lol: In that same way the stage would be set for Zaha to prove himself.
Remembering back was huge excitement at Wright signing for the Arsenal, up at Leicester, then at the Dell in our 4-0 win he was truly great, i absolutely loved the guy, such enthusiasm and energy and no little skill
As for Zaha not seen too much of him, looks tricky and has pace, but all the diving is off putting, jury is out if he will make a real success of it at the Arsenal.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:12 pm
NickF wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
Think you are jumping the gun a bit there ............No I'm not comparing the two, just remembering a great player in Ian Wright
So just randomly mentioning Wright after the previous post opined how Zaha could be great here.......ok. :?

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

NickF wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:22 pm
Redarmy wrote:
NickF wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
So just randomly mentioning Wright after the previous post opined how Zaha could be great here.......ok. :?
Well basically yes....next time will check with you before posting :D
Relax fella its a Friday

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

NickF wrote:
its not random - he mentioned Palace. that's the connection.

though of course they did also give us Eddie McGoldrick under George :roll:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:25 pm
NickF wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
NickF wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
Well basically yes....next time will check with you before posting :D
Relax fella its a Friday

:lol: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jesus fucking fuck me sideways. Have IQs just dropped? :lol: :wink: :wink:

On a serious note there are a few of you that need to actually watch Zaha play. He is one of the most inconsistent players in the PL. We had him. His name was Danny fucking Welbeck. Moments of skill the odd world class goal and all interspersed by months of anonymity ffs.

He's 26. Failed at the manc filth and has been stealing a living with Palace. Fuck potential. Potential is something you talk about in relation to 18 year olds or at a push the odd 22 year old. Not 26 year olds.

Now if we had some fully stocked high performing team and wanted to take a punt on Zahagash ok fair enough. But we have a limited budget and a defence so shit it loses us games ffs. Let's address what we need to address.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

clockender1 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:36 pm
NickF wrote:
its not random - he mentioned Palace. that's the connection.

though of course they did also give us Eddie McGoldrick under George :roll:
and Kenny Samson, now he was a great player.... :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I know the original poster wasn't comparing like for like between Wrighty and Zahagash but a few are comparing the situation. Incorrectly. Wrighty came to the pro game late and anyone watching him at Palace could see he was top top class.

Zahagash has been given every opportunity and failed and has been anywhere from shit to average to the odd moment of brilliance at Palace. But mostly shit to average.

Fuck no. FUCK NO. BUY DEFENDERS FFS. :banghead: