ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Post Reply
User avatar
StuartL
Posts: 6513
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 8:22 pm
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day and I’m feeling good

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by StuartL »

Chelsea appear to be landing Werner from RB Leipzig, they already secured Hakim Ziyech from Ajax, for a bargain fee of about £30m and they are on the tail of Chilwell from Leicester.

They are doing some top drawer business while we get their shit cast offs - Gallas, Cech, Luiz,

FFS it’s going to be a long hard claw back into the top 4 :banghead:

User avatar
augie
Posts: 25945
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by augie »

StuartL wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:14 pm
Chelsea appear to be landing Werner from RB Leipzig, they already secured Hakim Ziyech from Ajax, for a bargain fee of about £30m and they are on the tail of Chilwell from Leicester.

They are doing some top drawer business while we get their shit cast offs - Gallas, Cech, Luiz,

FFS it’s going to be a long hard claw back into the top 4 :banghead:



Werner is, in my opinion, vastly over-rated and not worth £50m and especially in today's financially hit market - the papers are already saying that he will be playing wide in a 3 man attacking force with tammy Abraham in the centre, and if he isn't good enough to displace him in the middle, then he is nowhere near top quality.

Anyway I still believe that he will sign for the victims not the chavs

User avatar
wibble
Posts: 888
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:04 pm

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by wibble »

I see sky sports have a video online of ‘arsenals 50 best signings that got away. Part 1’

I know we used to slag Wenger off for this and we’re in lockdown but even so, that’s scraping the barrel!

User avatar
Perryashburtongroves
Posts: 7567
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: At the start of a glorious era.

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

wibble wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:21 am
I see sky sports have a video online of ‘arsenals 50 best signings that got away. Part 1’

I know we used to slag Wenger off for this and we’re in lockdown but even so, that’s scraping the barrel!
If Wanker was still in charge, he would have signed about eight players with bat flu in August. Probably with broken backs and one leg too.

User avatar
Nos89
Posts: 3512
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:44 am

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Nos89 »

Looks like cedric is heading back to Southampton. I'd like to say thank you for.... :hmmthink: :hmmthink:

User avatar
augie
Posts: 25945
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by augie »


User avatar
OneBardGooner
Posts: 28897
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:41 am
Location: Dark Side Of The Mood

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by OneBardGooner »

FFS!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Just Get Shot of the UselessFUCKK :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: They money they spend on him could and should have been spent on securing Martinelli to a new long tern contract, he is the best thing at Arsenal in long, Loooong time! :?

User avatar
Midz
Posts: 2630
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:36 pm
Location: Gabba Gabba Hey!!

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Midz »

I wouldn't give the *word censored* another 2 weeks let alone months or years FFS!!!

User avatar
SteveO 35
Posts: 16979
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 7:01 pm
Location: Abou's fan club

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by SteveO 35 »

Midz wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:55 pm
I wouldn't give the *word censored* another 2 weeks let alone months or years FFS!!!
He'll get the extension - because its Arsenal...and he's cheap. Expect to see him cocking up left, right and centre for at least another year

User avatar
Midz
Posts: 2630
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:36 pm
Location: Gabba Gabba Hey!!

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Midz »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:10 pm
Midz wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:55 pm
I wouldn't give the *word censored* another 2 weeks let alone months or years FFS!!!
He'll get the extension - because its Arsenal...and he's cheap. Expect to see him cocking up left, right and centre for at least another year

You're probably right. It has become the Arsenal way now to buy cheap has-been players or get ones who've had their best days at other teams.

In football now if you want to compete with the top teams or be a challenger you have to buy the best players.
Arsenal will never compete for anything with the poor standard of players they get in the transfer windows now.
You don't have to spend in excess of 100 million for a good player (although there's always exception to the rule) but you do need to look from 30 - 50 million for top quality.
City have spent 30 - 50 on most of their squad or even less but their scouting is way better than ours.
Chelsea are trying to do a similar thing this summer regarding price.

You can't do it on the cheap. It just isn't possible in today's market.
Of course if you're able to throw a couple hundred million on an Mbappe or Neymar then it can only enhance your team but you don't have to do that to be successful.
I was reading somewhere the other day that City's wage bill is very close to ours but look at the shit we're paying a fortune to FFS!

If Auba doesn't wanna commit to Arsenal get as much as we can for him and stick Martinelli in his place. He'll do a great job. It might take him a season to get going properly but I think he'd fill the role and he'd be proud to do it as he's hungry.

Don't make Auba another Ozil it's just not worth it.

That fucking *word censored* of an owner should get his wallet out. I'm sick of hearing from the board that we're paupers!!

User avatar
Midz
Posts: 2630
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:36 pm
Location: Gabba Gabba Hey!!

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Midz »

https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/19/arsenal- ... -12877582/

I see we've just signed this injured crock of shite for 14m.
The board must really want us to fail or not do well. I think the devil has somehow possessed our club.

The *word censored* was injured when we got him on loan and now he's out for the rest of the season, but one of our asshats decides to spend 14m on the wanker.

I fucking give up!!!

User avatar
augie
Posts: 25945
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by augie »

Midz wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:41 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:10 pm
Midz wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:55 pm
I wouldn't give the *word censored* another 2 weeks let alone months or years FFS!!!
He'll get the extension - because its Arsenal...and he's cheap. Expect to see him cocking up left, right and centre for at least another year

You're probably right. It has become the Arsenal way now to buy cheap has-been players or get ones who've had their best days at other teams.

In football now if you want to compete with the top teams or be a challenger you have to buy the best players.
Arsenal will never compete for anything with the poor standard of players they get in the transfer windows now.
You don't have to spend in excess of 100 million for a good player (although there's always exception to the rule) but you do need to look from 30 - 50 million for top quality.
City have spent 30 - 50 on most of their squad or even less but their scouting is way better than ours.
Chelsea are trying to do a similar thing this summer regarding price.

You can't do it on the cheap. It just isn't possible in today's market.
Of course if you're able to throw a couple hundred million on an Mbappe or Neymar then it can only enhance your team but you don't have to do that to be successful.
I was reading somewhere the other day that City's wage bill is very close to ours but look at the shit we're paying a fortune to FFS!

If Auba doesn't wanna commit to Arsenal get as much as we can for him and stick Martinelli in his place. He'll do a great job. It might take him a season to get going properly but I think he'd fill the role and he'd be proud to do it as he's hungry.

Don't make Auba another Ozil it's just not worth it.

That fucking *word censored* of an owner should get his wallet out. I'm sick of hearing from the board that we're paupers!!



Fans criticise our club for paying out £8m on luiz, but fcuk me if we sold auba for £20m some c.unt should be shot :roll: To hear that 20m price tag spoke about a player that was top scorer last season is a fcuking disgrace and I would rather let him walk away on a free next summer.
That being said, if he refused to sign a new deal and if we received a proper offer, then I would sell him AND laca and bring in dembele from lyon.

User avatar
augie
Posts: 25945
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by augie »

Life is full of little contradictions and I am going to contradict my own strategy here - I have spent weeks advocating going with a youth policy, and now I would break that and sign thiago silva :oops: . A team in desperate need of a quality centre back, and in need of someone to bring some winning experience to a young team, should look to bring in silva even if his best days are behind him.

Jock Gooner
Posts: 2699
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:53 am

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:05 pm
Life is full of little contradictions and I am going to contradict my own strategy here - I have spent weeks advocating going with a youth policy, and now I would break that and sign thiago silva :oops: . A team in desperate need of a quality centre back, and in need of someone to bring some winning experience to a young team, should look to bring in silva even if his best days are behind him.

I think you can spin this one along the lines of if we are even considering paying the 33 year old disaster that is David Luiz £120k per week for another season :shock: and apparently he wants a two year deal :roll: then paying a bit more for a quality 35 year old CB maybe isn't such a bad option. Still a sad situation to find ourselves in.

I see that Saliba cannot play for us before July but apparently after that he 'technically' could play. Might as well give him a try and see how he gets on.

User avatar
augie
Posts: 25945
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by augie »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:14 am
augie wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:05 pm
Life is full of little contradictions and I am going to contradict my own strategy here - I have spent weeks advocating going with a youth policy, and now I would break that and sign thiago silva :oops: . A team in desperate need of a quality centre back, and in need of someone to bring some winning experience to a young team, should look to bring in silva even if his best days are behind him.

I think you can spin this one along the lines of if we are even considering paying the 33 year old disaster that is David Luiz £120k per week for another season :shock: and apparently he wants a two year deal :roll: then paying a bit more for a quality 35 year old CB maybe isn't such a bad option. Still a sad situation to find ourselves in.

I see that Saliba cannot play for us before July but apparently after that he 'technically' could play. Might as well give him a try and see how he gets on.



Would signing a 35 year old centre back be a risky move and a sign of desperation ? Absolutely but that is where we are right now. I think we all know that mustafi and mavrapanos are not good enough, luiz is not a proper defender, and both chambers and holding are nowhere near convincing imo. I like sokratis as a centre back, but he isnt at the level which we should have, and that leaves a young centre back with no experience of playing outside france - Thiago Silva is an experienced winner who would bring some reassurance to guide saliba in his development, plus you would hope that he has some french language and would be able to communicate with him. For months now we have been linked to centre backs like upemancano (sp :oops: ) but I cant understand that cos I dont believe that we will have anywhere near that type of money to spend, plus we have several positions of need. Whatever small amount of business we do will be hugely dependent on what players leave and how much we can get for them, so signing a player like silva on a free might be a necessity. What really concerns me right now is that the players we want shot off most (mustafi, ozil and the armenian pussy) will only go out on loan and bring nothing to our transfer budget :roll:

I got widely lambasted last summer (and in the last window) for suggesting selling auba when we would have got upwards of £80m for him - contrast that to the rumoured £20m price tag now on him less than a year later :roll: Our negotiating position has been blown away and every club in the world will operate on a "lets offer fcuk all cos they will want to sell" plan. We kept him to get us into the champs league and we are nowhere near that target, so what have we benefited from keeping him an extra season. If we grabbed the £70m-£80m last summer we got have bought two good players in and strengthened the team overall - now if we take the £20m we wouldnt even be able to get a striker from the championship to replace him, much less a proven international quality striker

Post Reply