Sir Alex Ferguson

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Almunia is a clown

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson

Post by Almunia is a clown »

He was a great manager & was pragmatic when he had to be, which usually meant devising a game plan to neutralise more dangerous opposition & win matches. :box:

Much better planning than just playing the game without worrying about the opposition, he showed proper leadership to his players instead of burying his head in his hands or berating the 4th officials. :barscarf:

He was a horrible fúcker but a winner, now he's in another battle I hope he pulls through, even though he's an annoying twat! :mrgreen:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:45 am
He was a great manager & was pragmatic when he had to be, which usually meant devising a game plan to neutralise more dangerous opposition & win matches. :box:

Much better planning than just playing the game without worrying about the opposition, he showed proper leadership to his players instead of burying his head in his hands or berating the 4th officials. :barscarf:

He was a horrible fúcker but a winner, now he's in another battle I hope he pulls through, even though he's an annoying twat! :mrgreen:
Also when he lost out on league titles he identified the cause and acted on it...In 2012 he made it a priority to get RVP because he felt that United would have been champions in 11/12 with more scoring power..Our guy done that In the Summer of 2001 and not really since.

augie

Post by augie »

Bradywasking wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 11:21 am
Almunia is a clown wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:45 am

Also when he lost out on league titles he identified the cause and acted on it...In 2012 he made it a priority to get RVP because he felt that United would have been champions in 11/12 with more scoring power..Our guy done that In the Summer of 2001 and not really since.

And our genius manager told ferguscum when he sold rvp to him, that "you have no idea how good a player he is" :roll: :banghead: :censored:

The Arsenal Way

Post by The Arsenal Way »

This man got my back up each time I saw him. Be it on the sidelines, after match interviews or quotes in the press.
But for the first 4 years of TOF being at our club, I would have changed him for Fergie in a hearbeat.
A winner, tactically astute, had his players respect him. He got rid of deadwood quickly and wasn't given to sentimentality.
probably the greatest football manager of my time. Certainly the most successful.
I resented him because he epitomised all I want from my club.

yup, I shall wish him well, and for a full recovery. This is more important than footy.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

The Arsenal Way wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 1:53 pm
This man got my back up each time I saw him. Be it on the sidelines, after match interviews or quotes in the press.
But for the first 4 years of TOF being at our club, I would have changed him for Fergie in a hearbeat.
A winner, tactically astute, had his players respect him. He got rid of deadwood quickly and wasn't given to sentimentality.
probably the greatest football manager of my time. Certainly the most successful.
I resented him because he epitomised all I want from my club.

yup, I shall wish him well, and for a full recovery. This is more important than footy.
Agree with most of that, if he got it wrong he made sure the player was removed ASAP, not continue with them out of blind faith or needing to be proven correct. (Veron as an example)

Ironic, that on Wenkers “big day” he still gets overshadowed by Fergie ( like his 1,000th game and a 0-6 defeat to Mourinho)

He has won 3 European trophies on top of his numerous league title wins.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

It's not about football anymore. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Wouldn't wish such a thing on anyone.

augie

Post by augie »

Nobody is wishing it on him, and nobody on here is hoping that he croaks, but what I (and others) have said, is that being ill doesnt suddenly make him a great man

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Bradywasking wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 7:28 pm
Long time rival but I genuinely hope he makes a full recovery..
I agree, hated but grudgingly admired him at the same time.
Also met him once, and he came across as a genuine, down to earth person,
Get well soon

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Don’t really have the animosity for Ferguson that others seem to have.

Most football managers are arrogant pricks. Allow any of them the sort of carte blanche that he had with media and the FA terrified to stand up to him because of the size and influence of the club and you’ve got the perfect recipe for a massive twat.

Hardly loved the bloke but like others had (and have) a bedgrudging admiration.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Bradywasking wrote:
Amen.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 5:12 pm
Bradywasking wrote:
Amen.
Yes agreed, a legend of the game, hope he recovers.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

augie wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 2:44 pm
Nobody is wishing it on him, and nobody on here is hoping that he croaks, but what I (and others) have said, is that being ill doesnt suddenly make him a great man
What I said wasn't in reference to you or anyone else on this friend, mate. Just a reflection on the fact that a brain haemorrhage is a nasty thing to happen to anyone.

herbert

Post by herbert »

I wish him all the best

Good man bad man ,the cycle of life :blah: :blah: :blah:
I just hope his wife and family get to spend many more years with him

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Wish him a speedy recovery, hate Manu but respect Sir Alex hugely?... :barscarf:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Ive actually met him twice ,was a proper gent, spent about two hours in his company on one occasion ,I was with some reds and he had a lot of good words for the Arsenal and in particular for George Graham who he was with when I first met him the night we won the league in 1991 .
His record stands for itself and whilst I hate MUFC,and the sky fiddle the fixtures era, I don't hate him.
Hope he recovers !