OZIL - Merged Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Rian1

Re: OZIL No shows, Injury, illness ??

Post by Rian1 »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:08 pm
Rian1 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:53 am
We lack a proper CAM - Ozil is that. There is no CAM in the world that has a high/high work-rate in both offensive and defensive sections of the game and this is why a competent CDM/CM is needed, to nullify that. Not going down memory lane to save him but RM is a prime example of how he should be coached and played. To no surprise, he was performing at the peak of his level, in a place with far more pressure to win.

UE does not want to adapt Ozil's way of playing and that is the underpinning problem. UE's tactics are an underpinning problem and we all know that. Defensive formation when we need to win/against semi-shit teams and questionable playing style week in/out.

The truth is, he maybe past his prime or the end of his prime but with a strong defensive backline he can contribute to a team, we don't have that so we can't incorporate him in the team. Playing him out of his position doesn't help either. Yes, he should do his defensive duties but if we leak in goals like we did this season thus far, not even Ozil tracking back will avoid them. Different leagues but Dybala is a good example; tracks back at his own pace but with the Rabiot-Ramsey and Chiellini-De Ligt behind him he gets away with it.

Let's calm down about his wages, it isn't like if he wasn't earning 15m a season we would've bought a whole lot with those funds anyway. 15m would bring fuck all. Wasting funds? Yes - Do I agree with the complaints? Yes - Scapegoat for any of our problems? Yes, and that's why I want him out of the club, I want to see who we blame next for the failures after he goes.
He's an overpaid waste of space who is quite happy to park his arse on the bench if he's not getting his own way. He's not being used as a scapegoat, he's just being accused of not giving two shits most of the time, an attitude which I have witnessed with my own eyes many times. All he has to do is roll his sleeves up now and again but unfortunately he fails to do so as he believes himself to be above all that. I'll tell you who I'll blame after he's gone - anyone who doesn't give 100% to the cause, it really is that simple. I haven't had a pop at any of the kids on here as I believe they all need more time to settle and are worth their chance but repeat offenders like Xhaka who makes the same mistakes over and over are there to be shot at.

Why should we calm down about his wages when we are paying him £18M a year - we don't have that kind of money to piss away anymore so it does matter. In fact it is his wages that really is the main Ozil problem - if he was on £100k pw I probably wouldn't give him or his wages a second thought but £350k is just ridiculous. Two seasons of wasted Ozil wages is the equivalent of a c.£40M player and I'm sure we could pick up a half decent CB or CDM for that which would be a bit more useful at the moment.
False. Not much he can do if UE doesn't give him a chance or want him in the starting squad. He clearly does not want to adapt to Ozil's play style which is what Madrid did with a far more expensive team at the time. Only because he sits on the bench doesn't mean he likes it anymore than you do seeing him there.

He may have an attitude that stinks and I can't fault the complaints but what opportunity has been given this season to roll his sleeves up. Forest at Home as a Carabao Cup player is an insult to the circumstances that Ozil and the manager is in. Make it worse by not putting him in the team at Old Trafford. UE can't choose to 'bully' him out of the squad and then expect the guy to turn up and put 1000%. You may say the manager decision is the last one, but how many times is he going to keep Ozil on the bench or stands and then wonder why he acts like this. Joke is on us because we then struggle against Watford, Villa and United because of the manager's decisions (or his ego).

Right, proves my point that the fanbase is pissed because of the wages, not the player. Why wouldn't you give 100k a thought if the player is deemed toxic or waste of space. If a player, as fans make it out to be, is hurting the morale or the dressing room I would want him out regardless of the wages being 100k or 350k.

Midz

Post by Midz »

Ozil's agent has done all the necessary work in negotiating his current contract.
£18m a year whether he plays, works, cares or whatever is one of the best contracts a player could wish for.
Once that deal was done none of the parties (other than AFC) could give a fuck.

Herd

Post by Herd »

We didn't have the money to build a team around him and to do so would have been a mistake too.
At Madrid he was in a star studded team with world class players who could understand and feed off him.
English football is tougher and Ozil wilts under any form of physical pressure so to make him the fulcrum of our team would have been a disaster. Now we can only hope to get some chump change from fernabache or a us team. For me he is a bad influence and the sooner he leaves the better. However he seems happy enough to just play dodgems in his car and hang out in Turkish restaurants.

Blim

Post by Blim »

Midz wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:11 pm
Ozil's agent has done all the necessary work in negotiating his current contract.
£18m a year whether he plays, works, cares or whatever is one of the best contracts a player could wish for.
Once that deal was done none of the parties (other than AFC) could give a fuck.
.....and that's why he needs to be gone ASAP he is happy to sit on the bench (or not) and collect him money.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Rian1 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:59 am
Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:08 pm
Rian1 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:53 am
We lack a proper CAM - Ozil is that. There is no CAM in the world that has a high/high work-rate in both offensive and defensive sections of the game and this is why a competent CDM/CM is needed, to nullify that. Not going down memory lane to save him but RM is a prime example of how he should be coached and played. To no surprise, he was performing at the peak of his level, in a place with far more pressure to win.

UE does not want to adapt Ozil's way of playing and that is the underpinning problem. UE's tactics are an underpinning problem and we all know that. Defensive formation when we need to win/against semi-shit teams and questionable playing style week in/out.

The truth is, he maybe past his prime or the end of his prime but with a strong defensive backline he can contribute to a team, we don't have that so we can't incorporate him in the team. Playing him out of his position doesn't help either. Yes, he should do his defensive duties but if we leak in goals like we did this season thus far, not even Ozil tracking back will avoid them. Different leagues but Dybala is a good example; tracks back at his own pace but with the Rabiot-Ramsey and Chiellini-De Ligt behind him he gets away with it.

Let's calm down about his wages, it isn't like if he wasn't earning 15m a season we would've bought a whole lot with those funds anyway. 15m would bring fuck all. Wasting funds? Yes - Do I agree with the complaints? Yes - Scapegoat for any of our problems? Yes, and that's why I want him out of the club, I want to see who we blame next for the failures after he goes.
He's an overpaid waste of space who is quite happy to park his arse on the bench if he's not getting his own way. He's not being used as a scapegoat, he's just being accused of not giving two shits most of the time, an attitude which I have witnessed with my own eyes many times. All he has to do is roll his sleeves up now and again but unfortunately he fails to do so as he believes himself to be above all that. I'll tell you who I'll blame after he's gone - anyone who doesn't give 100% to the cause, it really is that simple. I haven't had a pop at any of the kids on here as I believe they all need more time to settle and are worth their chance but repeat offenders like Xhaka who makes the same mistakes over and over are there to be shot at.

Why should we calm down about his wages when we are paying him £18M a year - we don't have that kind of money to piss away anymore so it does matter. In fact it is his wages that really is the main Ozil problem - if he was on £100k pw I probably wouldn't give him or his wages a second thought but £350k is just ridiculous. Two seasons of wasted Ozil wages is the equivalent of a c.£40M player and I'm sure we could pick up a half decent CB or CDM for that which would be a bit more useful at the moment.
False. Not much he can do if UE doesn't give him a chance or want him in the starting squad. He clearly does not want to adapt to Ozil's play style which is what Madrid did with a far more expensive team at the time. Only because he sits on the bench doesn't mean he likes it anymore than you do seeing him there.

He may have an attitude that stinks and I can't fault the complaints but what opportunity has been given this season to roll his sleeves up. Forest at Home as a Carabao Cup player is an insult to the circumstances that Ozil and the manager is in. Make it worse by not putting him in the team at Old Trafford. UE can't choose to 'bully' him out of the squad and then expect the guy to turn up and put 1000%. You may say the manager decision is the last one, but how many times is he going to keep Ozil on the bench or stands and then wonder why he acts like this. Joke is on us because we then struggle against Watford, Villa and United because of the manager's decisions (or his ego).

Right, proves my point that the fanbase is pissed because of the wages, not the player. Why wouldn't you give 100k a thought if the player is deemed toxic or waste of space. If a player, as fans make it out to be, is hurting the morale or the dressing room I would want him out regardless of the wages being 100k or 350k.
False my arse, he's had years to prove himself indespensible to the team.......the result...... he failed. Don't bother to bring RM into the picture as that is just a false comparison.

Jesus christ, I'm not the 'fanbase'. For me it's the player and the wages that I'm pissed with, it's the ludicrous amount of wages that makes it ten times worse than it should be. Your argument is out of date, Ozil has had his chances and has never really done enough to cement a place. He has had the opportunity to roll his sleeves up and put in a shift by which I mean just a try a bit harder not be a Vieira but it doesn't happen.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:46 pm
For me Ozil will be remembered like the rat Fabregas[ - a superbly talented visionary footballer who ultimately failed at Arsenal because of managers that did not build the team and the system around their vision and ability.

People that call him "lazy" don't understand football beyond what SlySports tell them. His apparent comfort in taking the money and not playing is another issue altogether though.

It's a shame Wenger nor Dick got out of him what Madrid did.

But that time is gone for Ozil. He is past his best. We are literally paying him 350k a week to train and watch football. I've long defended Ozil but even i am adamant that of all the shit Wenger and the Lizard did at our club that contract bump was one of the worst. Absolute madness.
Fabregas may be a rat for leaving us the way he did and then joining the Chavs (that should be more on Wenger for not attempting to resign him though) but there's no way he can be considered a failure when he was arguably the best midfielder in the league for a good 3-4 years while he was still in his early twenties. Apart from possibly a very brief period in 2015/16 you could never say that about Ozil during his time here unfortunately.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:40 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
For me Ozil will be remembered like the rat Fabregas[ - a superbly talented visionary footballer who ultimately failed at Arsenal because of managers that did not build the team and the system around their vision and ability.

People that call him "lazy" don't understand football beyond what SlySports tell them. His apparent comfort in taking the money and not playing is another issue altogether though.

But that time is gone for Ozil. He is past his best. We are literally paying him 350k a week to train and watch football. I've long defended Ozil but even i am adamant that of all the shit Wenger and the Lizard did at our club that contract bump was one of the worst. Absolute madness.
Fabregas may be a rat for leaving us the way he did and then joining the Chavs (that should be more on Wenger for not attempting to resign him though) but there's no way he can be considered a failure when he was arguably the best midfielder in the league for a good 3-4 years while he was still in his early twenties. Apart from possibly a very brief period in 2015/16 you could never say that about Ozil during his time here unfortunately.

I've always believed that Cesc was let down by TOF who left him to try and drag our team along single handedly. Given his age at the time it was impressive that he achieved what he did and how he developed as a player.

Quite frankly I have no real beef whatsoever with any player who took the opportunity to ge the fu.ck out of the club during the last 7/8 years of wenker's tenure. As a player there is a fine line between loyalty and dumb stupidity.

Zanatos3

Post by Zanatos3 »

headline:Mesut Ozil is the Main Example That the Classic No. 10 Is Dead in Modern Football
https://www.90min.com
By Kaya Kaynak
16 OCT 2019

LINK
https://www.90min.com/posts/6476895-mes ... n-football

Pieces

Compare him to ​Kevin De Bruyne. When the Belgian arrived at ​Manchester City in 2015, he did so as one the most exciting No. 10s in the world, and was given free reign to do almost whatever he pleased on the pitch under Manuel Pellegrini.

But as Pellegrini was replaced by Guardiola, De Bruyne was forced to evolve his role to suit the demands of his manager's 4-3-3 formation. He has now established himself as one of the league's best playmakers, and is on track to break the Premier League record of 20 assists that Ozil came so close to smashing himself back in the 2015/16 season.

An era of Gegenpressing and Tiki Taka means what you do off the ball has become as important as what you do on it. The last side to win the ​Champions League featuring a No. 10 was Carlo Ancelotti's Real Madrid back in 2013/14. Every other winner of Europe's elite club competition in that time has used the 4-3-3 formation.

Unai Emery simply won't tolerate Ozil's relaxed approach to his defensive duties, in the way that Arsene Wenger would. Ozil turned 31 this week, and the three-time Europa League winning coach appears to prefer younger, harder working players in the attacking slot of his three in midfield.

In a week where Extinction Rebellion protests reach their climax across the world, the comparison between Ozil and the human race failing to do enough to stop their impending doom will be a sorry sight for a some fans, and a moment to rejoice for others. He is a player out of fashion and out of time at Europe's top level.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SydneyGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Yep all those trophies he won here have pride of place on his - oh hang on....

There is no way to sugar coat it. He was a superb footballer but he won one FA Cup on the shirt tails of the Invincibles side. His time with us was a failure. But if you take the time to read what I wrote I said he was a great player ultimately let down by a past it manager that didn't build the team to get the most from Fabregas' strengths.

Success is measured in trophies not how well an individual player played for a few seasons.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:41 pm
SydneyGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I've always believed that Cesc was let down by TOF who left him to try and drag our team along single handedly. Given his age at the time it was impressive that he achieved what he did and how he developed as a player.

Quite frankly I have no real beef whatsoever with any player who took the opportunity to ge the fu.ck out of the club during the last 7/8 years of wenker's tenure. As a player there is a fine line between loyalty and dumb stupidity.
I agree 100% he was let down by Wenger but for me he attained cùnt status when he threatened to go on strike to force the move. I have no problem with players wanting to go but to sign a contract take the millions then go on strike? No fuck that. Honour the contract.

He compounded his cuntiness when he signed for the chav. :censored:

Blim

Post by Blim »

Ozil is just a bloodsucker who needs to be gone, he likes the money but not the club. :censored:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Well in the press today he says he aint going nowhere so read it and weep !
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... lures.html

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Herd wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:16 pm
This is bordering on ridiculous now. The manager obviously does not want or rate him and we still have to fork out 350k a week. Lunacy.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:58 pm
Herd wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:16 pm
This is bordering on ridiculous now. The manager obviously does not want or rate him and we still have to fork out 350k a week. Lunacy.
Yes its a very sad state of affairs, thanks to Wenger, Ivan (and Stan). I think the only way Ozil goes now is if the fans drive him out by booing him and showing they really don't want him, will this happen though?, the annoying thing is for this to happen he really has to play, then its "sink or swim", either he ups his game and the fans are happy, or he goes through the motions looking disinterested and they turn on him.

Sitting in the reserves is all very well but it's costing us two £150K+ a week players to do that and we can't afford to do that with our penny pinching model, something has to give.. :banghead:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Well he could outlast Emery his statement is very clear and very firm ! ! !
Or
Emery might start to pick him !
Who Knows its a weird start to the season ,we are playing shite but we are in 3rd place ,fans not happy but there we are in Europe in the Carabao and the FA Cup to follow .
The Problem is when is Emry going to sort the defense out ,the players are there now but they need to be organised into a cohesive unit .
The Only way for that is to play Torreira as DM instead of Xhakatard in a back four ,this thin DIamond approach is
bogus in the extreme if he doesn't attend to it we will start losing and he will Emry will be ditched by seasons end !
If that arrives it's hello Patrick Vierra for me !