European Finals

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: European Finals

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:53 am
Clash wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:40 am
supergeorgegraham wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:26 am
I guess I need to research better before posting. It was interesting that they played a kind of 4-4-2 formation. They combined their forward 2 well last night and attacked tons more then against us.
Would love to see Arsenal go back to a similar system next season and get our attack going ahead.
It's boring playing a lone striker and having no shots away from home. If it works for them it can for us with changes in personal.
Totally agree mate. 4-4-2 us a good formation to watch. Too many football snobs around these days (inside and outside the game) who turn their nose up at a good old fashioned 4-4-2.

Even Leicester won a title using it recently and then got to the CL QF so although it was a freak in many ways, it still proves you can succeed using it. And I would rather watch Leicester's style in their title winning season than Man City's style this season. Passing football can be very boring to watch.
i reckon now that we have Lacazette and Aubamayang the current squad is ideally suited to a 4 4 2

I agree 100% which is why I would sell ozil asap - a guy like ozil, regardless of how you view his talents and contributions, is in no way suited to a 4-4-2 system, and building a system around a guy whose contributions are at best sporadic, is a ridiculous idea. Iz bang bang and lacazette we have two strikers with pace and a good work-rate who would terrify opposition defences as part of a 2 man strikeforce. In mickeywhatshisname we have a genuine wide creative player, and I suspect playing in the system would suit reiss nelson better too 8)
On the other hand, I'm not sure how much a 4-4-2 system would suit wilshere or ramsey but that wouldnt deter me tbh

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:48 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:53 am
Clash wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:40 am
supergeorgegraham wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:26 am
I guess I need to research better before posting. It was interesting that they played a kind of 4-4-2 formation. They combined their forward 2 well last night and attacked tons more then against us.
Would love to see Arsenal go back to a similar system next season and get our attack going ahead.
It's boring playing a lone striker and having no shots away from home. If it works for them it can for us with changes in personal.
Totally agree mate. 4-4-2 us a good formation to watch. Too many football snobs around these days (inside and outside the game) who turn their nose up at a good old fashioned 4-4-2.

Even Leicester won a title using it recently and then got to the CL QF so although it was a freak in many ways, it still proves you can succeed using it. And I would rather watch Leicester's style in their title winning season than Man City's style this season. Passing football can be very boring to watch.
i reckon now that we have Lacazette and Aubamayang the current squad is ideally suited to a 4 4 2

I agree 100% which is why I would sell ozil asap - a guy like ozil, regardless of how you view his talents and contributions, is in no way suited to a 4-4-2 system, and building a system around a guy whose contributions are at best sporadic, is a ridiculous idea. Iz bang bang and lacazette we have two strikers with pace and a good work-rate who would terrify opposition defences as part of a 2 man strikeforce. In mickeywhatshisname we have a genuine wide creative player, and I suspect playing in the system would suit reiss nelson better too 8)
On the other hand, I'm not sure how much a 4-4-2 system would suit wilshere or ramsey but that wouldnt deter me tbh
I've always liked the regular 4-4-2 but also like a flexible version that can go 4-5-1 at a moment's notice. With our current attacking midfielders we could easily play a 4-4-2 with a diamond in the midfield which would accommodate and suit Ozil and/or Wilshere.... but of course you'd have to add a top class DM in there too.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Until Wenger turned up we were only behind Liverpool for English clubs reaching European finals. . Two in 22years has put the club behind man utd and chelski.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:01 pm
Until Wenger turned up we were only behind Liverpool for English clubs reaching European finals. . Two in 22years has put the club behind man utd and chelski.
On Sunday I watched Arsenal the official history DVD. Only GG managed it in 94 we have been shite in Europe all through our history. 2006 was as close as we will ever get and United won 13 Prem titles but only 2 CL.
Chelsea fluked it but Liverpool are the real masters of European Football in the uk. We were always behind United but Chelski got lucky so nothing we can do about that.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 1:35 pm
Nos89 wrote:
On Sunday I watched Arsenal the official history DVD. Only GG managed it in 94 we have been shite in Europe all through our history. 2006 was as close as we will ever get and United won 13 Prem titles but only 2 CL.
Chelsea fluked it but Liverpool are the real masters of European Football in the uk. We were always behind United but Chelski got lucky so nothing we can do about that.
I think there's a few Arsenal players (GG among them) who'd disagree with you there...

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 1:35 pm
Nos89 wrote:
No we weren't always behind man Utd and chelski. Look back in football before 1992.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Got a feeling pool could upset the applecart tonight. Really hope I am wrong, fucking hate the scallies almost as much as manure and the spuds,

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Stunning overhead from Bale for the 2nd, but the Victims were shit and showed how poor they can be when not allowed to get a lead :roll:

Kingralph

Post by Kingralph »

What a brilliant evening. The Victims thumped, best player injured and half the players and fans crying like babies. Pure unadulterated joy! :barscarf:

Block93

Post by Block93 »

It is a salutary lesson in how you can build up a reputation over an entire season but lose it in an instant.

Whatever, you can’t feel anything but sympathy for Karius, or maybe that’s just me.

Older posters on this forum probably only still remember Peter Bonetti for one match and that was back in 1970!!

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Block93 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:13 pm
It is a salutary lesson in how you can build up a reputation over an entire season but lose it in an instant.

Whatever, you can’t feel anything but sympathy for Karius, or maybe that’s just me.

Older posters on this forum probably only still remember Peter Bonetti for one match and that was back in 1970!!
Yeah. I think it is just you. I didn't watch a second of it but have seen him throwing the ball to Benzema for the first one and couldn't stop fucking laughing. No fucking sympathy for the lippiest, cuntish club in England.

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

i don't want to bring up the sad day of Hillsborough. But it was reported again tonight that loads of Liverpool fans turnt up tonight without tickets. I know it is an all seater stadium. But wasn't this what happen on that sad day, loads of fans without tickets.

Also on a funnier note saw on the news a bloke paid £600 quid for a ticket and then got to see that shower of shite from Karius :D :D

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Rosie_titters wrote: 27374124 user_id=3243]
i don't want to bring up the sad day of Hillsborough. But it was reported again tonight that loads of Liverpool fans turnt up tonight without tickets. I know it is an all seater stadium. But wasn't this what happen on that sad day, loads of fans without tickets. [/color]

Also on a funnier note saw on the news a bloke paid £600 quid for a ticket and then got to see that shower of shite from Karius :D :D
Bring up Hillsborough? Never. Whatever next? It's been about twenty minutes. Fucking doesn't surprise me if they did turn up en masse without tickets, they've done it for years and it was always laughed off by the press. Then they killed their own and apparently it was all someone else's fault or whatever and it's all the Sun's fault and don't mention Heysel because that was all Chelsea and Leeds or someone and it's all a conspiracy and Istanbul and Stevie G and Jamie C and fucking hell they really are a *word censored* aren't they.

Herd

Post by Herd »

26th of May just isnt a good night for Liverpool but i wanted them to win an actually watched it .
I hate real madrid and i hate their cheating ways.

dont be fooled what he did to Salah was intentional and calulated he wrapped his arm up and did a flyng judo type move calculated to do damage.
The goalkeeping errors stank too .

But ultimately I dont care that much .

markyp

Post by markyp »

the Salah incident was no accident,weve seen it over the years with barca,real and Bayern all managing to get your best player off the pitch either by a sending off or by injury,they are cheating krunts and always get the ref on their side,that first goal by Benzema I guarantee that had that been scored by Liverpool it would have been ruled out for ungentlemanly conduct or something,Real would have made sure it got ruled out,weve seen it time and time again in Europe