European Finals

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
supergeorgegraham

European Finals

Post by supergeorgegraham »

For the last few years BT have either allowed you to watch live on youtube or put their non HD BT Sport 2 on free view.
I just checked and can't find any mention of a live broadcast on youtube and on TV it doesn't state free view.
I thought they had to show the finals to everyone as part of the deal. Has that all changed now ? If so UEFA must have seriously low viewing figures for their main events of the season

RobG

Re: European Finals

Post by RobG »

Congrats to Atletico :winner: :winner: :winner:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Simeone. 8)

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

What a horrible team to play against they are, id love Arsenal to be horrible again :cry:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Atletico are under investigation by UEFA following last night's win..They moved into a new stadium last Summer and it's a rule that when you move stadium you are not allowed be competitive for ten years minimum. (Domestic Cup competitions don't count).

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

flash gunner wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:15 am
What a horrible team to play against they are, id love Arsenal to be horrible again :cry:
We were discussing it last night, they are so organised and composed and then they attack with real purpose & menace. Compare that to our helter skelter, kamikaze type football with "ball possession" the overriding criteria. Fail to score, with 2 shots at goal, none on target, then at the post match, point to 72.7% possession and lament that we "deserved to win"

I saw an interview with Arteta where he spoke about "we move forward, never backward"..... sounds like the insane "We go again" tactics employed by Wenger.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

xisstential wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:19 am
flash gunner wrote:
We were discussing it last night, they are so organised and composed and then they attack with real purpose & menace. Compare that to our helter skelter, kamikaze type football with "ball possession" the overriding criteria. Fail to score, with 2 shots at goal, none on target, then at the post match, point to 72.7% possession and lament that we "deserved to win"

I saw an interview with Arteta where he spoke about "we move forward, never backward"..... sounds like the insane "We go again" tactics employed by Wenger.
They work so hard defensively too, chasing every ball in numbers. They seem to enjoy defending and i love that. As the oppo they are a horrible team to play against bit like us during the mid 90's before Wenger. Defending as an art itself, when Wenger said football should be art he forgot about that part of 'art'

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Bradywasking wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:39 am
Atletico are under investigation by UEFA following last night's win..They moved into a new stadium last Summer and it's a rule that when you move stadium you are not allowed be competitive for ten years minimum. (Domestic Cup competitions don't count).
Does that also mean that you don't have to sell all your best players who just won you the league two years prior and then complain that you can't afford anyone for ten years?

Incidentally, the 2006 CL Final was 12 years ago today...

augie

Post by augie »

flash gunner wrote:

Same as that - I loved it when every other non Gooner c.unt in the world hated us 8)

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

I guess I need to research better before posting. It was interesting that they played a kind of 4-4-2 formation. They combined their forward 2 well last night and attacked tons more then against us.
Would love to see Arsenal go back to a similar system next season and get our attack going ahead.
It's boring playing a lone striker and having no shots away from home. If it works for them it can for us with changes in personal.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Bradywasking wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:39 am
:D :D

And I wonder if there are Atletico fans who claim Simeone built that stadium ...

Clash

Post by Clash »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:26 am
I guess I need to research better before posting. It was interesting that they played a kind of 4-4-2 formation. They combined their forward 2 well last night and attacked tons more then against us.
Would love to see Arsenal go back to a similar system next season and get our attack going ahead.
It's boring playing a lone striker and having no shots away from home. If it works for them it can for us with changes in personal.
Totally agree mate. 4-4-2 us a good formation to watch. Too many football snobs around these days (inside and outside the game) who turn their nose up at a good old fashioned 4-4-2.

Even Leicester won a title using it recently and then got to the CL QF so although it was a freak in many ways, it still proves you can succeed using it. And I would rather watch Leicester's style in their title winning season than Man City's style this season. Passing football can be very boring to watch.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Clash wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:40 am
supergeorgegraham wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:26 am
Totally agree mate. 4-4-2 us a good formation to watch. Too many football snobs around these days (inside and outside the game) who turn their nose up at a good old fashioned 4-4-2.

Even Leicester won a title using it recently and then got to the CL QF so although it was a freak in many ways, it still proves you can succeed using it. And I would rather watch Leicester's style in their title winning season than Man City's style this season. Passing football can be very boring to watch.
i reckon now that we have Lacazette and Aubamayang the current squad is ideally suited to a 4 4 2

GTG

Post by GTG »

4 4 2 can work fine in the modern game providing you have someone up front who can there nuts off to be the first line of defence. They effectively become a striker when we have the ball or an extra midfielder when we don't.

The protection in front of the back four is absolutely crucial to that formation working. That is the area where that formation would fall down for us given the current squad.