The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
rodders999

Re: The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

Post by rodders999 »

The crayon muncher must be the worst ever winner of a WC golden boot. All his goals were penalties, tap ins and deflections off his arse against the dross of the tournament and then he went the last 3 games (when it really mattered) without a single fucking attempt on target :roll:

FUCKING SPUD DROOL MOUTH PRICK.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Top two scorers Kane and Lukaku filled their boots against shit sides in the first two games then bottled it when shit got serious.

Winning team’s centre forward lumbered about for a month being a slow and clumsy prick without managing a shot on target.

Death of the striker? Bring back the Scotland 4-6-0!

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

546 minutes of tournament football for Giroud and not a single shot on target :lol:

Must be a record for a team that’s won the WC surely.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Enjoyed what I saw of this world cup. Not the best one ever but a good one where the only two teams that knew how to defend got to the final.

England pleasantly over achieved with Argentina and Germany getting what they deserved. Brazil need to drop Neymar if only to give him a kick up the arse. Rolling around, crying but still managed to play every minute of every match he started.

Probably need to review extra time in knock out stages. Croatia played a full extra match more then anybody else because they got to three consecutive extra-times. If match can't be decided in 90 minutes in the knock stage then straight to penalties. With the next world cup being played in the desert then player safety must be top of the list.

I like VAR, but it highlights the ineptitude of modern referees when the 4 officials in the studio still can't make a proper decision. The system works its the idiots working the system that make it confusing. I still think the penalty given in the final was a correct decision.

Highlight for me Batshuyi getting smacked in the face by his kick of the ball off the post, brilliantly executed :D :D

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

The pen was a weird one to have to decide upon. We’ve all seen much worse handball decisions given. Once all the VAR refs recommend that the match ref looks at it, it immediately puts him under pressure as they clearly think it’s a pen. In his defence there is some hand to ball movement even though it comes through fast and as I say under pressure he’s gone along with the bods in the box. If the hand hadn’t moved he wouldn’t have given it!

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Eboue-Why? wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:07 am
The pen was a weird one to have to decide upon. We’ve all seen much worse handball decisions given. Once all the VAR refs recommend that the match ref looks at it, it immediately puts him under pressure as they clearly think it’s a pen. In his defence there is some hand to ball movement even though it comes through fast and as I say under pressure he’s gone along with the bods in the box. If the hand hadn’t moved he wouldn’t have given it!
Once the referee is asked to look at it on the monitor the “clear and obvious” goes out the window and it becomes a simple yes or no in reality. As you said huge pressure on ref to overturn original decision where he has been told to look at it.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

The Croats were robbed. There is simply no interpretation of the current handball rule that can say that was deliberate handball. And Griezman's dive should have seen him booked.

The worst part of the final for me though was Pogba. The epitome of the modern self obsessed selfish cùnt "foobler". :roll: :censored:

When the teenaged Mbappe scored in a world cup final all his team mates ran to celebrate with him. Except Pogba. He slid to his knees between the group of celebrating players and the cameras and then had an attention seeking little solo celebration on his own. Wouldn't mind so much but apart from maybe 3 very good passes and one good goal he was fucking average as hell for most of the tournament.

Cue the trophy celebration at the end and cue fucking Pogba out front by himself, sliding on his knees arms raised to God or Allah or the Lord Pogbahama or whoever, trying to draw all the attention and photographers to himself. The cùnt kept sliding forward to close the camera angle so half the shots will be just him up front with a glimpse of a couple players over his shoulder. Utter cùnt. :censored:

To paraphrase Churchill: never in the field of football endeavour has so little been owed to one self obsessed cùnt. :censored:

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Don't think it was a robbery. Probably a bit much to say France won the final completely fair and square and having seen it again I will concede that Griezmann dived to win the free kick for the first goal. The ref got the handball call right imo. Despite their great start Croatia just didn't have enough in the final third to get it done.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44844999

:roll:

a good thing England didn't win it - Trafalgar Square would probably have been renamed Harry Kane Plaza :lol:

Post by 1989 »

Brilliant touch. He deserves every bit of the praise and good press he's getting. I don't understand why anyone would begrudge him that. An absolute gent Southgate, total class act and a credit to this country.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

1989 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:01 am
Brilliant touch. He deserves every bit of the praise and good press he's getting. I don't understand why anyone would begrudge him that. An absolute gent Southgate, total class act and a credit to this country.
England have been so abysmal in recent tournaments that any improvement was always going to have an over the top reaction from those who don't really follow or know anything about football. That so many so called football fans have been swept up in the collective madness makes me question their knowledge of the game. England, in reality came away from the tournament with a 50% record, including a last gasp win against Tunisia and a thrashing of arguably the worst team in the competition.

England are still a long, long way behind the worlds top sides. Southgate must know that, if he doesn't the Euro's will surely drive that home.

augie

Post by augie »

1989 wrote:

As far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong), hodgson is also a gent and a total class act - if that is the requirement, loads of people will be queuing up :lol: :lol:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

augie wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:05 am
1989 wrote:

As far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong), hodgson is also a gent and a total class act - if that is the requirement, loads of people will be queuing up :lol: :lol:
apart from coming across well on TV I am not sure that he and England actually achieved much more than in previous World Cups.

England beat teams ranked 21st (Tunisia) 24th (Sweden) and 55th (Panama)
They drew with a team ranked 16th (Columbia) and lost to teams ranked 3rd (Belgium) and 20th (Croatia)

Yet again we struggled against the top countries - it is why we went out so early in 2014 and to be honest if we had the same group this time around we would have struggled to get out of it.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Good World Cup, VAR has cleared quite a few issues, although they have also raised a few by the five officials in the backroom....
Now we can see the dilution of the referees overall control, and locally we are to implement sin bins for dissent! :banghead:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:29 pm
Enjoyed what I saw of this world cup. Not the best one ever but a good one where the only two teams that knew how to defend got to the final.

England pleasantly over achieved with Argentina and Germany getting what they deserved. Brazil need to drop Neymar if only to give him a kick up the arse. Rolling around, crying but still managed to play every minute of every match he started.

Probably need to review extra time in knock out stages. Croatia played a full extra match more then anybody else because they got to three consecutive extra-times. If match can't be decided in 90 minutes in the knock stage then straight to penalties. With the next world cup being played in the desert then player safety must be top of the list.

I like VAR, but it highlights the ineptitude of modern referees when the 4 officials in the studio still can't make a proper decision. The system works its the idiots working the system that make it confusing. I still think the penalty given in the final was a correct decision.

Highlight for me Batshuyi getting smacked in the face by his kick of the ball off the post, brilliantly executed :D :D
For me it’s the best WC since 1982. Some cracking games and goals. The best team won.

For the next World Cup it’s being played in November so heat won’t be an issue. The temperature will be similar or less than a European summer.