The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GranadaJoe

Re: The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

Post by GranadaJoe »

falkirk goon wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:39 am
Was there a tournament on?
I was too busy guzzling Irn Bru and watching trainspotting to notice :D :barscarf:

World Cup finals (or Hibernation time as it is known in Scotland) are played every four years by countries with good football players (and England, because we invented the game).
There is an old Norse myth that a team from north of hadrian's wall once competed (I use that word in the Peru, Costa Rica, Iran, Morocco sense of the word) and that Lord Kenny will one day send a short, ginger-haired, bad-tempered saviour to rescue the land from the clutches of evil Lord Celtic.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

On a slightly more serious note; whatever happened to the stream of great Scottish players (Jimmy Johnstone, Stein, Baxter, Mackay, Dalglish, Law, McNeil, Greig, Gemmel, Lennox and of course, not forgetting Alan Leighton.

I genuinely couldn't tell you the name of a single current Scottish international player.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Postscript:

I've just looked up the current Scotland squad and I don't recognise a single player.

What happened to Scottish football!

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:58 am
Postscript:

I've just looked up the current Scotland squad and I don't recognise a single player.

It's shit

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:20 am
GranadaJoe wrote:
Postscript:

It's shit
Indeed it is lads :( the days when we had decent players was when a lot of Scots played in England and the football up here was a better standard too.Most of the top teams had Scottish Welsh and Irish players and Aberdeen Dundee United regularly did well in Europe in the 80s.The standard up here is shite now,so shite that our teams enter Europe at the 1st knockout round :oops:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

falkirk goon wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:59 am
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:20 am
GranadaJoe wrote:
Postscript:

It's shit
Indeed it is lads :( the days when we had decent players was when a lot of Scots played in England and the football up here was a better standard too.Most of the top teams had Scottish Welsh and Irish players and Aberdeen Dundee United regularly did well in Europe in the 80s.The standard up here is shite now,so shite that our teams enter Europe at the 1st knockout round :oops:
Scotland. AKA Oireland-lite. :barscarf: :lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:44 am
falkirk goon wrote:
I was too busy guzzling Irn Bru and watching trainspotting to notice :D :barscarf:

World Cup finals (or Hibernation time as it is known in Scotland) are played every four years by countries with good football players (and England, because we invented the game).
There is an old Norse myth that a team from north of hadrian's wall once competed (I use that word in the Peru, Costa Rica, Iran, Morocco sense of the word) and that Lord Kenny will one day send a short, ginger-haired, bad-tempered saviour to rescue the land from the clutches of evil Lord Celtic.
I'm offended by that. You left Oireland out of your shit list. :censored:

:wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:44 am
falkirk goon wrote:

OneBardGooner?

:D :wink:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

In fairness to Scottish football at least you can usually turn up on the day and get in 8) :lol:

wibble

Post by wibble »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:34 pm
In fairness to Scottish football at least you can usually turn up on the day and get in 8) :lol:
A lot of grounds still have standing terraces too which is nice.
It's not a safety hazard either as there's not enough fans!

augie

Post by augie »

Can someone tell me how our swiss right back is able to play tonight whilst monreal wasnt involved ? For starters spain were knocked out 2 days before the swiss, but secondly lichtsteiner played every minute for switzerland (except the game he was suspended), whilst monreal played the square root of fcuk all in the world cup :roll:
Also how the fcuk has wellshit been allowed to stay away until now when he played f.uck all minutes in the world cup too ?? How the fcuk are we gonna be able to get rid of a guy when he returns just 3 days before the window closes ? He should want to be back in the squad by now if he is interested in staying cos every player will have started with a clean slate and a need to impress emery

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Monreal has a knee injury apparently.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

wibble wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:40 am
Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:34 pm
A lot of grounds still have standing terraces too which is nice.
It's not a safety hazard either as there's not enough fans!
A little known fact is that more people in Scotland(per head of population) watch football than just about anywhere in the world.Rangers and Celtic account for a large chunk of the attendance I would imagine.50000 and upwards regularly attend the home games of these two
The football is still shite though :lol:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:17 pm
A left back is an urgent requirement Jock
As Augie says the young lad at Celtic Tierney would be a good shout.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

falkirk goon wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:48 am
Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:17 pm
A left back is an urgent requirement Jock
As Augie says the young lad at Celtic Tierney would be a good shout.
Quite agree about Tierney - posts from Augie and I on the transfer thread about him. He would cost a few quid but would solve our left back position for years to come.