The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GranadaJoe

Re: The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

Post by GranadaJoe »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:44 am
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44844999

:roll:

a good thing England didn't win it - Trafalgar Square would probably have been renamed Harry Kane Plaza :lol:

Well, it does spit water everywhere.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:03 am
The Croats were robbed. There is simply no interpretation of the current handball rule that can say that was deliberate handball. And Griezman's dive should have seen him booked.

The worst part of the final for me though was Pogba. The epitome of the modern self obsessed selfish cùnt "foobler". :roll: :censored:

When the teenaged Mbappe scored in a world cup final all his team mates ran to celebrate with him. Except Pogba. He slid to his knees between the group of celebrating players and the cameras and then had an attention seeking little solo celebration on his own. Wouldn't mind so much but apart from maybe 3 very good passes and one good goal he was fucking average as hell for most of the tournament.

Cue the trophy celebration at the end and cue fucking Pogba out front by himself, sliding on his knees arms raised to God or Allah or the Lord Pogbahama or whoever, trying to draw all the attention and photographers to himself. The cùnt kept sliding forward to close the camera angle so half the shots will be just him up front with a glimpse of a couple players over his shoulder. Utter cùnt. :censored:

To paraphrase Churchill: never in the field of football endeavour has so little been owed to one self obsessed cùnt. :censored:

When the goal went in after Griezeman dived, I felt like turning the TV off. It's the sort of deceit that makes me question why I still follow football. Fortunately, the Croats scored so I perservered, but when the penalty was given I gave up.

The Croat was less than a yard behind the player when the ball hit his hand. He clearly didn't have time to intentionally handle the ball. His hand wasn't in an unnatural postion.
And WTF was the ref doing. Watch it five times, start running back onto the pitch, then turn around and watch it once more??? A whatsApp from FIFA?

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:41 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:

a good thing England didn't win it - Trafalgar Square would probably have been renamed Harry Kane Plaza :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

well the WC is over, has anyone appointed the ex-manager yet ? - or does he need two weeks holiday to recover. :cussing:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

clockender1 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:53 pm
GranadaJoe wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:41 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

well the WC is over, has anyone appointed the ex-manager yet ? - or does he need two weeks holiday to recover. :cussing:
Japan on the verge. Apparently. :lol:

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

1989 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:01 am
Brilliant touch. He deserves every bit of the praise and good press he's getting. I don't understand why anyone would begrudge him that. An absolute gent Southgate, total class act and a credit to this country.
how old are you 1989?!

im a miserable bstard old before my time, but your unbounded enthusaim must come from the innocence of youth?!

we didnt beat anyone ranked above us. narrolwy beat those below us bar pananam, and lost comfortably to those above us and croatia.

dont get this over the top love in, unless its an act of course ;)

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

France's results in this tournament have been very good, even by the normal standards of tournament winners. They've kept 4 clean sheets, scored 4 against Argentina and Croatia, turned over a strong Uruguay team, beat a very talented Belgium side and did it all without the need for extra time.

But despite that I can't help feeling that they are nowhere near as good a team as Spain 2010 or Germany 2014. Felt like they were the best of a bad bunch with the likes of Germany, Spain, Portugal and Argentina all well past their sell-by date, Brazil looking like a patchwork side and Italy and Holland not even qualifying.

Thought it was a decent tournament overall - Portugal v Spain, France v Argentina and Brazil v Belgium were great matches to watch. Thought it was very light on real quality though - that Sweden side hacking about with long ball tactics and that lump of a Sunderland reject up front making the quarters sums it up.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

What's scary for the rest of Europe is that France played what seemed like 80% and still won the Cup, so if they play to a higher ability that they can certainly do, then everyone else is fucked.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Personally thought it was an ok tournament. Not enough cracking games, too many were slugfests that had to go to extra time and/or pennos. Few if any of the world's top players really set the tournament on fire, The amount of diving and cheating and feigning injury was at an all time high. The top teams didn't perform apart from France. I think it might well be more remembered for "incidents" and VAR controversies rather than the quality of the football or lack thereof. Italia 90 and Japan 02 were far far better and even the last 2 WCs were better tbh.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:52 am
Personally thought it was an ok tournament. Not enough cracking games, too many were slugfests that had to go to extra time and/or pennos. Few if any of the world's top players really set the tournament on fire, The amount of diving and cheating and feigning injury was at an all time high. The top teams didn't perform apart from France. I think it might well be more remembered for "incidents" and VAR controversies rather than the quality of the football or lack thereof. Italia 90 and Japan 02 were far far better and even the last 2 WCs were better tbh.
Get rid of the extra time, the feckers will not want penalties, personally I would have every caaaaant take one, yep 22 penalties, this will show the men from the boys!....I can fucking assure you, there will no longer be a draw at ninety minutes in the knockout phase.... :lol: :wink:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Seemed like a lack of really exciting football and lots of dull defensive stuff. No maverick African sides getting through and playing hellfor leather stuff. Dull dull sides like Uruguay, Russia and Sweden grinding their way through to the quarters. Sides like England and Croatia getting as far as they did grinding out ugly wins throughout.

The best side to watch was Argentina because of the mix of talent, desperation and unpredictability. Didn’t know if they were going to get walloped, dramatically snatch their way through late on or crash out in an end-to-end 7 goal thriller with some of the best goals of the tournament.

Other than that the likes of Brazil, Germany and Spain played a lot of insipid crap by the standard of top teams.

Post by 1989 »

the playing mantis wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:45 pm
1989 wrote:
Brilliant touch. He deserves every bit of the praise and good press he's getting. I don't understand why anyone would begrudge him that. An absolute gent Southgate, total class act and a credit to this country.
how old are you 1989?!

im a miserable bstard old before my time, but your unbounded enthusaim must come from the innocence of youth?!

we didnt beat anyone ranked above us. narrolwy beat those below us bar pananam, and lost comfortably to those above us and croatia.

What has age got to do with enthusiasm? :?

Besides, it's hardly enthusiasm stating that Southgate should be recognized for his efforts this summer. I don't get it. :?

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:52 am
probably best you don't look at what the tournament will look like in the future then when all the top sides won't play against each other in the group stages, and when there will be SIXTEEN :shock: groups :D

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

1989 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:33 am
the playing mantis wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:45 pm
1989 wrote:
how old are you 1989?!

What has age got to do with enthusiasm? :?

Besides, it's hardly enthusiasm stating that Southgate should be recognized for his efforts this summer. I don't get it. :?
he has been, he has kept his job.
what I do like about Southgate though is that he would be the first to recognise that he doesn't deserve anymore than that.

Herd

Post by Herd »

I stopped watching after Engerland went out ,the hype on this Island was so unbelievably over the top I thought everyone was on some new happy pill called Soma .
Whilst we did better than some thought we would ,we folded as soon as we faced half decent opposition ,it was as simple as that .
Im out of work right now so I watched a lot of it ,I enjoyed it on the whole but the reffing as usual was a farce !
The good news is that our competition at home have had their players flogged by the world cup so a decent start could see us mount a challenge so its all gravy for me .

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Was there a tournament on?
I was too busy guzzling Irn Bru and watching trainspotting to notice :D :barscarf: