The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
markyp

Re: The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

Post by markyp »

absolute dog shit performance from England,at this stage of the competition the result needs to be backed up by a performance but the performance was all too familiar for England,insipid,tippy tappy,sound familiar??!! as for Alli, I don't get the love in,he was awful all last season for England and spurs and has continued with that form this world cup and sterling just continues to amaze with his absolute crapness,and Jack wasn't good enough for that squad? pfft!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

1989 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:57 pm
g88ner wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:49 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:23 pm
Actually scratch that somebody just called out jug ears on twatter asking him to comment on the Maguire dive like he would do if it was Neymar and jug ears reckons that because Maguire immediately got up and gestured to the ref that it wasn’t a foul it was all ok :roll:
Who gives a flying fuck? :barscarf: England advance to the quarter finals; on penalties no less! that's all that matters. 8)
:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

I reckon we're actually seriously in with a chance. Anything can happen in tournament football. Goals win you games and we've got arguably the best striker in the world leading the line for us.

I really like what Southgate has done with the defence as well. We've got a proper defensive system that is making average defenders like Maguire and Stones look solid. There is a reason why Pickford hasn't had to make too many saves; we don't give up too many goal scoring chances.
Whilst I agree that anything can happen at this stage I don't agree about England's defence. Maguire is average on a good day and shit the rest of the time. Stones is consistently average. But they have come up against only shit strikers or teams more interested in diving like Colombia. Maguire is a penno or a 25 yard free kick waiting to happen. The first half-decent striker with a bit of savvy and an interest in scoring rather than diving and those two lads will be found out.

The reason Pickford hasn't had to make too many saves is because you've only played against gash.

Not an anti English thing but there has to be a reality check at some point.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:11 pm
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:02 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:55 pm
Midz wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:49 pm
These are the dirtiest, cheating *word censored* I've seen so far in this competition. I hope we beat them and at least one of them gets a broken leg and red carded.
Slight amendment mate! :wink:

Did I hear the commentator say - when the half-time whistle went "England have played well" ???? :shock: :shock: :shock:

They've been shittt :cussing:
Don't be a stupid uninformed uneducated fat orange midget, we were good in the first half ffs :roll: :wink:
fuck off inbred nonce paedo.
Without wishing to drag this shit on any further I have to say that is poor mate. You cant just throw those particular words at someone. Have a word ffs.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Midz wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:30 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:02 pm
augie wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:21 pm
1989 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:45 pm
Xhaka absolute quality. Why can't he play like this for us?

Must have had a good first half cos he has been utter garbage this half :roll:
Xhaka is dog poo. One decent game doesn't make a decent player. Phil Neville and Jermaine Jenas are ripping the shit out of him as we speak.

Out of all the players I wanted to leave this summer, Xhaka was high up the list. He has let us down time and time again over the last 2 seasons. I don't even think Emery could coach him to become a half decent defensive midfielder. He can't tackle, he can't pass and scoring one worldie every now and again isn't good enough for Arsenal.
agree, he is dog poo and I hoped we'd get rid of him too.
100% bang on the money. Not sure what 1989 was watching but Xhaka was bog average to goodish in the first half and absolute muck in the second. His "good" play in the first half was basically just stroking it laterally across the pitch. Nothing passes really. He still has no positional sense and is a brainfart from a red card every time he goes running in towards an oppo player - always from behind too like a fucking coward. His game is basically one thunderous goal every season, stupid rash fouls and average passing and getting caught square on the rest of the time.

An idiot a coward and offers very little. I was really hoping we'd be rid of him this summer. :roll:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:19 am
Midz wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
augie wrote:
1989 wrote:

Xhaka is dog poo. One decent game doesn't make a decent player. Phil Neville and Jermaine Jenas are ripping the shit out of him as we speak.

Out of all the players I wanted to leave this summer, Xhaka was high up the list. He has let us down time and time again over the last 2 seasons. I don't even think Emery could coach him to become a half decent defensive midfielder. He can't tackle, he can't pass and scoring one worldie every now and again isn't good enough for Arsenal.
100% bang on the money. Not sure what 1989 was watching but Xhaka was bog average to goodish in the first half and absolute muck in the second. His "good" play in the first half was basically just stroking it laterally across the pitch. Nothing passes really. He still has no positional sense and is a brainfart from a red card every time he goes running in towards an oppo player - always from behind too like a fucking coward. His game is basically one thunderous goal every season, stupid rash fouls and average passing and getting caught square on the rest of the time.

An idiot a coward and offers very little. I was really hoping we'd be rid of him this summer. :roll:
Never watched the Sweden v Switzerland game but I overheard a commentator say that Xhaka and some other bloke were head and shoulders above all the other players on the pitch. Must have been absolutely dire if that was the case.

Alarming for us is that Emery was so quick and so happy to tie Xhaka in to a new contract...... and that he "wants to build the team around Ramsey" Poor judgement??

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

markyp wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:30 am
absolute dog shit performance from England,at this stage of the competition the result needs to be backed up by a performance but the performance was all too familiar for England,insipid,tippy tappy,sound familiar??!! as for Alli, I don't get the love in,he was awful all last season for England and spurs and has continued with that form this world cup and sterling just continues to amaze with his absolute crapness,and Jack wasn't good enough for that squad? pfft!
I don't agree that results need to be backed up by performances. Its tournament football so I'd actually say results are the only thing that matter.

We know we're not a quality side like Brazil, France or Spain, so I have no problem with them scraping through games through hard work.

We came into the tournament with such low expectations so every round we advance is a bonus. Enjoy it mate... if you're English if course.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Last nights game was poor but fuck it, we’re still in it! It’s a cup competition and often, the best team doesn’t win! I still think France are the outstanding team.
If England are to go any further than Southgate needs to get some balls and drop Alli and Sterling, both are really bad at the moment, As is Dier, but I think he’ll play the same team again..... :banghead:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

It's coming home :unionjack: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Has it occurred to anybody that the Colombian players probably felt they were playing for their lives and the 2 blokes who missed penalties probably now feel there is a real possibility they might be killed :shock:

Still an awful, Stoke like team though.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:19 am
Midz wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
augie wrote:
1989 wrote:

Tell me DB10, are we talking about xhaka or our own 1989 there ? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Colombia were a disgrace. Genuinely awful footballing team and their theatrics were disgusting.

England naively got dragged in and to be honest would have been slammed by the pundits and the world if it was anybody else. There was plenty of diving going on, Stones took a cheap shot on Falcao that would have had calls for a public enquiry if it was an opponent on Kane and obviously Maguire miming the TV signal ten times is nothing like when Johnny Foreigner waves an imaginary yellow which we all know is the worst thing in football.

England went to pieces last 20 mins and extra time - they’re not just going to blow teams away and need to learn to manage the game when they’re not on top.

Uninspiring performance against a really poor side but into a WC quarter final with a really favourable route to the final mapped out.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

xisstential wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:48 am
How do these teams even get to where they are...Columbia are no different to Stoke, except Stoke are better. Staggering the "draw" England have got,virtually a pass to the finals...or semi's at least...and still they struggle. Kane's going to win the Golden Boot on penalties.
reminds me of Arsenal's recent FA Cup runs :D

augie

Post by augie »

The part that does piss me off a bit is where the media claim that southgate has "managed to do something with this team that previous managers have failed to do" :roll: For me that is a bullshit statement and is like comparing apples to oranges :oops: There is no doubt that southgate has a much poorer quality of squad than previous managers have had, but that is totally outbalanced by the fact that he has got a much softer draw than previous managers have had (with the exception of the Iceland debacle of course). If previous managers had the draw that southgate has had, would they not have done at least as well ? I see even English fans on here admitting that they have got a fantastic draw and that they have struggled to beat Tunisia and Columbia, so I'm not saying anything that the English people themselves aren't saying.

Without a doubt England are at worse going to the semi finals, but they have a very real chance of reaching the final imo. If southgate has any savvy he will then jump ship and land a mega bucks offer that will inevitably come from a club cos the chips will never fall this lucky for him in the future. I have seen England managers unfairly slated in the media in the past to the point that it as good as finished them at the top level of the game, but it seems that southgate (a very average manager tbf) will have his rep blown up out of all proportion by the same media, and maybe it is about time that the tables have turned

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:51 am

Why does there? Its football, its all about hoping and believing you can win.

I'm sure you would have said the same to Denmark in 92 or Leicester a couple of years ago.

Reality with football is not something you have to deal with until its over

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

flash gunner wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:23 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:51 am

Why does there? Its football, its all about hoping and believing you can win.

I'm sure you would have said the same to Denmark in 92 or Leicester a couple of years ago.

Reality with football is not something you have to deal with until its over
exactly right Flash - its coming home ! :barscarf:

my only concern is getting through today as I have the hangover of all hangovers :lol: