The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
northbank123

Re: The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

Post by northbank123 »

flash gunner wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:23 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:51 am

Not an anti English thing but there has to be a reality check at some point.
Why does there? Its football, its all about hoping and believing you can win.

I'm sure you would have said the same to Denmark in 92 or Leicester a couple of years ago.

Reality with football is not something you have to deal with until its over
Agree - especially in tournament football. England have narrowly stumbled past a shit Tunisia, brushed aside an abysmal Panama, lost to Belgium B and drawn with a dreadful Colombia - not keeping a clean sheet along the way or looking like scoring other than Kane or set pieces. But nobody else has really stood out and England have almost as good a chance as anybody of reaching the final. There aren’t any teams left in who England aren’t capable of beating.

Plus it’s always much more fun when England go out with their fans having got carried away :lol:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

northbank123 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:35 am
flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I'm sure you would have said the same to Denmark in 92 or Leicester a couple of years ago.

Agree - especially in tournament football. England have narrowly stumbled past a shit Tunisia, brushed aside an abysmal Panama, lost to Belgium B and drawn with a dreadful Colombia - not keeping a clean sheet along the way or looking like scoring other than Kane or set pieces. But nobody else has really stood out and England have almost as good a chance as anybody of reaching the final. There aren’t any teams left in who England aren’t capable of beating.

Plus it’s always much more fun when England go out with their fans having got carried away :lol:
maybe when the World Cup is expanded to 48 teams you might actually have a slight chance of qualifying for a World Cup again :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

northbank123 wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I think brazil and MAYBE france would beat them

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

northbank123 wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

This comes across as just a tad salty IMO. When Wales had their run in Euro 16, the whole of Wales was dreaming about winning the fucker. I don't think there was that many England fans who didn't want them to do well.

Why is it when England fans when let's face it we have been very pessimistic prior to the tournament, start saying we can win the thing the other home countries have nothing better to do than hope we fall flat on our faces. The Scots are the worst for this.

England can win the World Cup now, anything is possible in a knock out football competition. We had a lot of luck so far this time, with the draw etc but boy it's about time with some of the ridiculously bad luck we have had in previous tournaments.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

tunisia were shit? well they played for a draw and spent most of the game with ten men behind the ball, we still broke them down and won despite having a clear pen turned down. Belgium B? Fair enough but admit it was England B as well.

As for Colombia same thing as Tunisia - spent the whole game feigning injury, ten men behind the ball, played the game as if not to lose, not to win. When we play a team that comes at us with expansive football (not expecting this v sweden but should get in v croatia) then you can expect plenty of flowing football and goals. It's weird to hold england to these standards of having to beat great teams convincly to have any chance - how aside from croatia and france have played great football this tournament?

if we get past sweden (expect another similar affair to last night if it is to be the case) then we are at a semi final, that would be a huge achievement. realistically we will play croatia who may dominate possession with kovacic and modric in midfield. then it's our turn to frustrate and hopefully do a job on someone.

personally i think last night's test will leave us in good stead in terms of mental strength and practise against a "clever" team that was defensively sound for much of the game. don't think us twatting everyone 4-0 would be great preparation tbh.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Can you all put your sensitivity knickers back on please? :wink:

I'm just pointing out that someone saying England now have a great defence is silly given that that defence has not been truly tested by a top team, but rather scraped by some minnows. It's not an insult you whiney cúnts! :lol: :roll:

Clash

Post by Clash »

England probably will not win the world cup as the final will be against Brazil, Belgium, France or Uruguay ... although in a one-off game it could happen. But because of the way the draw has worked in our favour, anything less than the final would now be failure IMO for a set of players who play in the so-called best league in the world :roll:

I was very happy last night to finally win a penalty shoot-out but in the cold light of day I realise we made hard work of a side that are not the same without their best player .... and worryingly we do not seem to be able to score goals from open play.

What is it now? I think just 2 out of our 9 goals have not been either set pieces / pens ... and one of those two in open play was a deflection! Not knocking being strong on set pieces as they are crucial but it would be more encouraging knowing we could score other types of goals too.

Also I cant ever remember us beating Sweden so at the moment I am not really looking beyond that one.

Really baffled how Raheem fucking Sterling keeps getting picked. When you have a player like that in your side ... the opposition always have a chance :roll: :)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I wasn't negating England's chances of winning, I even said "anything can happen", I was merely pointing out that Stones and Maguire are not part of a good defensive system but have been lucky not to come up against a really top quality striker that would expose them for what they are; average (Maguire at his best) to goodish (Stones on a good day).

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nice to see Falcao now upping his own cuntiness by slating the referee for bias towards the Ingerlish!! :shock: :oops:

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/news/eng ... ocid=ientp

FFS a sterner ref could have sent off half the cheating cúnts on the Colombian team. If ever a player has totally gone to shit in my estimation it is Falcao. Utter cúnthound. :censored:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Clash wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:46 am
England probably will not win the world cup as the final will be against Brazil, Belgium, France or Uruguay ... although in a one-off game it could happen. But because of the way the draw has worked in our favour, anything less than the final would now be failure IMO for a set of players who play in the so-called best league in the world :roll:

I was very happy last night to finally win a penalty shoot-out but in the cold light of day I realise we made hard work of a side that are not the same without their best player .... and worryingly we do not seem to be able to score goals from open play.

What is it now? I think just 2 out of our 9 goals have not been either set pieces / pens ... and one of those two in open play was a deflection! Not knocking being strong on set pieces as they are crucial but it would be more encouraging knowing we could score other types of goals too.

Also I cant ever remember us beating Sweden so at the moment I am not really looking beyond that one.

Really baffled how Raheem fucking Sterling keeps getting picked. When you have a player like that in your side ... the opposition always have a chance :roll: :)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/18181790

Clash

Post by Clash »

flash gunner wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:54 am
Clash wrote:

:D :D Oh yeah, thanks mate. Must have been during my ''disconnected from the England team'' period.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Clash wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:57 am
flash gunner wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:54 am
Clash wrote:

:D :D Oh yeah, thanks mate. Must have been during my ''disconnected from the England team'' period.
:lol:

Welbeck scored how could you forget that it doesnt happen often :shock: :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:53 am
Nice to see Falcao now upping his own cuntiness by slating the referee for bias towards the Ingerlish!! :shock: :oops:

FFS a sterner ref could have sent off half the cheating cúnts on the Colombian team. If ever a player has totally gone to shit in my estimation it is Falcao. Utter cúnthound. :censored:

I said that earlier in the thread too - I could just about accept some no mark numpty behaving like a c.unt, but when a respected top quality player (and captain :roll: ) behaves like he did last night, there really is no excuse :oops: :oops: :evil: :evil:

bergkamp10

Post by bergkamp10 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:33 pm
all the scum players are playing like Lepers... :lol:
Surely not! :D :D :D

bergkamp10

Post by bergkamp10 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:53 am

Falco should of been sent off a thousand times. Cheating bas***d