Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
goonersid

Re: Unai Emery

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:20 am
goonersid wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:47 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:51 am
Usually, Arsenal back the manager and in all fairness to emery, Ozil is the only player who seems disgruntled with the new coach. Any attempts ozil may try to influence other players against emery will fall away quickly.
Also, I don't believe Arsenal would risk the cash loss of compensation pay out to another manager, having just paid £19.7m to wenger and co. That's half the transfer budget gone.
The Arsenal players reverted to type by playing to the level of the opposition and conditions in that second half.
So nothing of what is going on can be attributed to Emery? FFS he is the manager and if the players as you put it “reverted to type” then that’s down to their “ not having an ounce of respect for Emery or the club”
So whilst not “disgruntled” they are not on his side nor buying into any pholosophy however obscure that he may be trying to introduce.
We have a thread on this forum “lets all laugh at man utd”
Well Solskjaer has come in and completely turned them around ! Ok they lost to PSG, but I’m sure any level headed manc will recognise that was down to psg’s vastly superior squad
They are moving in the right direction whereas we are arguably in reverse and if this was going on at any of our rivals we would be pissing ourselves.
Emery aint up to the task!!

I love the way that Norwegian tart is being held up as an example of great managerial turnaround ……… has he gone 22 games unbeaten like dick did ? Where is the respect due to dick if you are willing to give kudo's to solskjaer ? Of course we all heard the snipers pointing out how our 22 game unbeaten run was against shit teams, but solskjaer's is almost entirely made up of victories against the likes of Huddersfield, Cardiff etc :roll: In our 22 game unbeaten run we played manure away and the victims at home and lost neither - they only 2 tough fixtures they had was against the scum and psg and they only beat the scum cos of their keeper having a great/lucky game and a psg side missing two of their top 3 players give them a footballing lesson :roll: :oops: :oops: I should also point out that this was a manure squad that had £400m worth of players brought into the club by the previous portugese c.unt manager

You dont rate dick and that is fine (although very premature imo), but ffs stop holding up solskjaer as an example of how a manager should perform cos he certainly doesnt warrant it
Knocked us out of the cup, I reckon they’ll do the mousers on Sunday , will by the end of the season have overhauled our 10 point lead (?) to finish top 4 well ahead of us! all this with what by your reckoning is an inferior squad to us!! and whilst their unbeaten run seen them beat lower level teams, they beat them bye and large convincingly. Solskjaer is a c u n t, but he looks ten times more the deal than Emery.

augie

Post by augie »

All solskaer has done is let them off the rope - no big tactical changes, no new instructions, and no real change in personnel. What I give him credit for, is that he recognised a team that was being held back by a negative manager, and allowed their best players (all attacking players) to do what they do best instead of asking them to defend/get behind the ball. Of course when he was challenged by a team that tactically negated his "plan", he sat there like a rabbit caught in headlights not knowing what to do as psg pissed all over them :roll: It should also be recognised that, as well as a generous run of fixtures, he had an almost entirely fit squad to work with - dick has had to deal with key injuries throughout the team, and has rarely been in a position to pick the same team 2 games in a row.

You dont like/rate dick sid and I get that, and like I said on many occasions he may not be the right choice to take over from the senile old c.unt, but imo he is at least entitled to have a decent squad to work with and a reasonable time-frame to make things work - we will have to agree to disagree for now, but one thing is for damn sure, there wont be too many top managers willing to take his place when they see that the club is only willing to spend £40m and only sign loan players in january :roll: :oops: :oops:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:46 pm
All solskaer has done is let them off the rope - no big tactical changes, no new instructions, and no real change in personnel. What I give him credit for, is that he recognised a team that was being held back by a negative manager, and allowed their best players (all attacking players) to do what they do best instead of asking them to defend/get behind the ball. Of course when he was challenged by a team that tactically negated his "plan", he sat there like a rabbit caught in headlights not knowing what to do as psg pissed all over them :roll: It should also be recognised that, as well as a generous run of fixtures, he had an almost entirely fit squad to work with - dick has had to deal with key injuries throughout the team, and has rarely been in a position to pick the same team 2 games in a row.

You dont like/rate dick sid and I get that, and like I said on many occasions he may not be the right choice to take over from the senile old c.unt, but imo he is at least entitled to have a decent squad to work with and a reasonable time-frame to make things work - we will have to agree to disagree for now, but one thing is for damn sure, there wont be too many top managers willing to take his place when they see that the club is only willing to spend £40m and only sign loan players in january :roll: :oops: :oops:
Only time will tell Augie.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:26 am
Dick out :shock: :wink:
Did not know you were a Catholic mate. :shock:

:lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:

Great post augie. 100% nail on head. 8)

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:

I agree. To add it seems to me that about mourinho/ or managers losing the dressing room is just a myth. It has become apparant the players were following mourinho's instruction, otherwise they would have ignored his negative tactical play, going against the players natural attacking instinct. United went from runners up to sixth because of the manager's attitude.
At Arsenal we have seen a few players improve under emery, especially defensively. Bellerin, Holding, AMN and even Koscielny looks a better defender than he was under wenger in his last season. Even Iwobi has improved but we are still stuck with squad players who won't get any better, but we've had to rely on them because of injury.
I'm beginning to wonder if supporters are taking a dislike to Emery because of his communication difficulties in the media. To me, it's outstanding that from day 1 he spoke English to the media unlike poch who went two years with an interpretor at southampton. Things do get lost in translation. This ozil business wasn't an issue under wenger but he missed at least 90 matches through injury/illness/ tactical issues and no one said a word.
Also, solskjaer has brought ferguson back into the training ground and mike phelan is his assistant. Can't imagine how Arsenal supporters would feel if Emery brought back Pat Rice.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

HUGE Game for Unai this w/end - If we play well AND get A RESULT! What ya reckon Sid? :D

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:35 am
HUGE Game for Unai this w/end - If we play well AND get A RESULT! What ya reckon Sid? :D
It would ‘t do his credentials any harm OBG, however a heavy defeat would be more damning, but ultimately it comes down to improvement and clear direction.
I do have a feeling we may get something on saturday

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I usually lean one way or the other on NLD's (ooooh! Missus) I always hope we win, but this time I can't get any sense of win or not.

But, Yes, If we win well it'll do him and Us good if we lose; especially if we don't put in a shift - He'll get dogs abuse and rightly so...anyone within the Arsenal camp who doesn't understand what the NLD means to us may as well fuckoff.

:barscarf: COME ON YOU GUNNERS :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:21 pm
I usually lean one way or the other on NLD's (ooooh! Missus) I always hope we win, but this time I can't get any sense of win or not.

But, Yes, If we win well it'll do him and Us good if we lose; especially if we don't put in a shift - He'll get dogs abuse and rightly so...anyone within the Arsenal camp who doesn't understand what the NLD means to us may as well fuckoff.

:barscarf: COME ON YOU GUNNERS :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
if we don't put in a shift, we will lose, we just have to turn up and match them, and they will collapse, it's what they do, everytime we have come out fast and matched thier work rate we beat them.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The most crucial week in Dick's tenure so far. Beat the Scum in their backyard (been a while since Shit for Brains pulled that off), and put in a decent away display in the Europa and positive result v Man Ure, and I think he will win over most Gooners who are undecided (apart from Sid who has already written him off!)

Defeats in the two league games, and another BATE away performance in Rennes with a rag bag team selection and the same questions will crop up time and time again, and the doubts will continue to sit in the players and fans minds

Really is a massive week for Dick

Oh...just the 11 points and 2 places better off than last season now.....but no progress obviously :banghead:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

He was quality today.

He made a brave decision - which proved right.

His goal celebration in front of the vermin was bang on and after the game he showed class and refused to blame the ref.

Today was a big day for him.

Even if we finish 6th im well happy with his attitude desire and hard work in his first season.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Think he got it right today. About time mind in these big games, but only a combination of shit officiating and missing a number of golden chances managed to stop us winning today.

Whilst his tactics were right, can’t underestimate the difference which having our first choice defence (nearly) makes. Doesn’t matter what tactics you use, if your back 4 is Kolasinac Mustafi Xhaka Lichtsteiner then you are going to ship goals.

Need to back it up with performances against Rennes and United. Real opportunity for us to kick on now looking at our last 7 or 8 games after United.

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

Emery has picked it up recently after his nadir against Bate. I am not sure if it coincides with Ozil in the squad, but it seems like players are firing for him again whereas before, it looked like their were confused with instruction. The last few games have really been superb and the defensive structure against Spuds was really excellent as well. There are some players who need to be moved on, but given the resources that he has at his disposal this year, I'd say that he is doing exceptionally well now. Players have gotten better under his tutleage including the ones that are slated on this forum.

I hope that the team can keep up the good performances for the next 9 matches as some of the away games will be tough. I think Burnley and Everton are real potential banana skins. If we can get a win against Utd, I think that it will fire the team through the rest of the fixture list.

I had my doubts after Bate, but I am back on board at this point as he seems to have gotten a balance in his squad rotation. Torreira getting sent off (harshly) should be appealed, but I expect a 3 match ban which is a big blow because Guendouzi against Utd scares me a bit, but alternatively, it could work out well because Torreira will be fresh for the Europa games.

On a different note, I wonder when Emery is going to start Ramseys little brother? Emery is going to need to rotate there at some point and we need to see what the guy can (or can't) do. Iwobi and Miki can't play every match.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Having played all of the other big 6 twice, if we won two and lost 7 of the last 9 games we would end up exactly the same as last season.

Defensively is where he hasn’t done enough, but that said we have had beyond awful luck with injuries in and out of games and it’s not a huge coincidence that we looked solid yesterday being able to field 4 out of our 5 first choice defenders rather than putting out a patched up back 5.

I don’t particularly care about 4th but the End of the season is really important for momentum. We could end up with 75+ points, but of defensive fortitude and a good europa league performance. Or we could end up limping home, shipping in goals every week still and getting dumped out of Europe early.