Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
TeeCee

Re: Unai Emery

Post by TeeCee »

So over a year into the job and Dick does not know:

His best team
His best formation
if we're a pressing team or a counter attacking team
tactical setup
that Xhaka is an appalling footballer in every way
that Kolasinac is the worst Arsenal 'defender' since Stepanovs
I could go on.....

We've just played the worst United team since the 1980's and he went there to defend. Playing out from the back with players who are not capable (we had the hilarious consequence of two players waiting for the ball in the 6 yard box and Leno refusing to pass it to them on several occasions). No link between midfield, who were sitting in front of the defence, and attack. Pepe is stuck right on the wng which is clearly NOT a good position for him but ignoring that, the man is putting in about 30% effort at the moment and should be taken out of the team, not get picked every week!! Saka is 10 times the player Pepe is currently. We are being overrun and dominated in midfield in EVERY match because of Emery's blindness and refusal to see the obvious. Playing Xhaka means we start with 10 men every match, when Xhaka hasn't played we have looked much better. He offers nothing apart from stupid fouls and yellow cards, he is a walking disaster and yet Dick has said 'he showed great commitment' again.....really? In ducking out the way? In strolling back when United attacked? He does commit himself to stupid, nasty fouls, I'll give him that.
Arsenal don't have a clue they really don't and there is no way on earth we are getting top 4 this season, not unless Tierney and Bellerin somehow make an amazing difference but somehow I just don't see it. No pundits are really slagging Emery at the moment, you can see they want to but no-one has the balls to come out and say the guy clearly hasn't got 'it'. Emery is a disaster, a man who doesn't have a clue what he is doing. If he was sacked in the next 4 weeks we could easily salvage this season and get top 4, it is NOT going to happen with Emery in charge. :banghead:

augie

Post by augie »

TeeCee wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:05 am
So over a year into the job and Dick does not know:

His best team
His best formation
if we're a pressing team or a counter attacking team
tactical setup
that Xhaka is an appalling footballer in every way
that Kolasinac is the worst Arsenal 'defender' since Stepanovs
I could go on.....

We've just played the worst United team since the 1980's and he went there to defend. Playing out from the back with players who are not capable (we had the hilarious consequence of two players waiting for the ball in the 6 yard box and Leno refusing to pass it to them on several occasions). No link between midfield, who were sitting in front of the defence, and attack. Pepe is stuck right on the wng which is clearly NOT a good position for him but ignoring that, the man is putting in about 30% effort at the moment and should be taken out of the team, not get picked every week!! Saka is 10 times the player Pepe is currently. We are being overrun and dominated in midfield in EVERY match because of Emery's blindness and refusal to see the obvious. Playing Xhaka means we start with 10 men every match, when Xhaka hasn't played we have looked much better. He offers nothing apart from stupid fouls and yellow cards, he is a walking disaster and yet Dick has said 'he showed great commitment' again.....really? In ducking out the way? In strolling back when United attacked? He does commit himself to stupid, nasty fouls, I'll give him that.
Arsenal don't have a clue they really don't and there is no way on earth we are getting top 4 this season, not unless Tierney and Bellerin somehow make an amazing difference but somehow I just don't see it. No pundits are really slagging Emery at the moment, you can see they want to but no-one has the balls to come out and say the guy clearly hasn't got 'it'. Emery is a disaster, a man who doesn't have a clue what he is doing. If he was sacked in the next 4 weeks we could easily salvage this season and get top 4, it is NOT going to happen with Emery in charge. :banghead:

I agree with most of what you say, with the exception of the highlighted parts -

Every fan I know goes mental when we try to start playing out from the back, but yet nobody recognises or acknowledges that every time leno goes long with his kick outs the ball comes straight back at us cos we don't have a centre forward capable of winning the ball in the air and/or holding possession. Emery favours playing out from the back but the fans go mad and say that we don't have players capable of doing that - emery signs sideshow bob to be a footballer capable of playing out from the back, but the man is a liability defensively so what are we supposed to do ? We cant go long and cant play out from the back so I really don't know what the solution is :?

Pepe came to us as a player that operated and shone playing on the right wing for his previous club - if emery was to change his position and it didnt work he would then be hammered for playing a player out of position so emery cant win on this one. Personally I would either change his position or drop him cos (a) every opposition defender knows his whole game plan evolves around him cutting inside on his left foot, so they are blocking off that option which means he is going backwards cos he seemingly has a right footed only fit for standing on :roll: (b) he is lazy and doesnt work for the team, and his attitude and technical ability look very suspect to me

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Emery is Mr. Beige, a bland manager with no identity, stumbling from game to game with a team that lacks any sort of style. They'll take to the field like 11 strangers again on Sunday and will probably end up having to chase the game as usual.

He picked 3 defensive midfielders last night against that rabble because he hadn't the stones to smell Ole's blood and go in for the kill, he took the easier safer option and went risk averse. We have the most lethal striker in the league and yet he was still too afraid to set a team up to provide him with the ammunition to destroy that piss poor United defense. He's a weak manager.

He's the type of guy that would spend hours flicking through the paint catalogue looking at the millions of different colours yet end up painting every wall in his house magnolia anyway.

Mr. Beige
Mr. Magnolia

BORE OFF.
Last edited by rodders999 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Double bubble :banghead:

Clash

Post by Clash »

I used to find my blood boiling when Wenger was interviewed but with Emery I dont even bother. Cannot understand a word he says and find it too much of an effort to try. I'm not sure he's saying anything worth listening to anyway.

The lack of improvement in his English since he came is the same as the lack of improvement on the field.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Clash wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:07 am
I used to find my blood boiling when Wenger was interviewed but with Emery I dont even bother. Cannot understand a word he says and find it too much of an effort to try. I'm not sure he's saying anything worth listening to anyway.

The lack of improvement in his English since he came is the same as the lack of improvement on the field.
^^^this^^^

Sad but True. :?

I'm beginning to think even if we had a much better defence & better mid-field players he would still set up the same - Mr Magnolia is correct rodders ole chap. :(

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Agree with Tee Cee, if he was sacked in the next few weeks we could make top 4 (if we can find a capable replacement)
I do think Kroenke jnr must surely discuss our progress or lack of it, with the likes of Edu!
Kroenke will want a return on his summer investment and if others feel Emery wont deliver it thenI can see him going by christmas, it wouldn’t cost that much to pay him off, when it’s offset against the financial benefits of clge football.
A poor result at home accompanied by chants of “ you dont know what you’re doing” could make kroenke take notice!
One thing for sure is, anybody still on the fence regarding this clown, is deluded!

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Clash wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:07 am

I even find his quotes in the printed media hard to read/understand.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Good EBENING.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

RE the Russian Roulette goal kick routine.... I'd rather lose the ball in their half from a long Leno goal kick than lose it in our fucking box ffs. :x

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:09 pm
RE the Russian Roulette goal kick routine.... I'd rather lose the ball in their half from a long Leno goal kick than lose it in our fucking box ffs. :x
Was just thinking the same thing. We are allowed to compete to win the clearance and if not then at least it forces the opposition to do something clever to create a chance rather than simply presenting them with the ball in or around our own box. That said, if we formed up for an old school goal kick then the CBs would be in a better position to try and win the first header. This shouldn't be difficult but Dick seems intent on making it so.

We tried to be too clever with some of our defending for years under TOF and shipped unnecessary goals when the ball should have been in row z.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

I'm not Emery out but if Brendan Rodgers breaks into the top 6 with Leicester at the end of this season then I think he should be at the top of the list alongside Allegri as our next manager.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

We'll get top 4 finish with or without Emery as we have a top 4 squad of players. With a close to fully fit squad the back 4 picks itself. The issue with midfield simply lies with Xhaka in the starting line up and the attack picks itself too.
Pepe will improve. It took Pires nearly a season to become what he became so he's got to have the time, although Saka is pushing hard for a starting place.
It's a simple team to pick when all fit. Emery over complicates it by trying to prove he's a top tactical coach. Don't know why he does this in England as he didn't do it in Spain.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:53 pm
We'll get top 4 finish with or without Emery as we have a top 4 squad of players. With a close to fully fit squad the back 4 picks itself. The issue with midfield simply lies with Xhaka in the starting line up and the attack picks itself too.
Pepe will improve. It took Pires nearly a season to become what he became so he's got to have the time, although Saka is pushing hard for a starting place.
It's a simple team to pick when all fit. Emery over complicates it by trying to prove he's a top tactical coach. Don't know why he does this in England as he didn't do it in Spain.
I hope you're right mate but I keep seeing people say this about Pires, Henry or Bergkamp when trying to reassure us about Pepe's dreadful start but I don't thinks its comparable!

For a start, the slow start of those 3 players is massively exaggerated ... none of them were that bad. They just became so much better later on!

With Pepe, he cannot do any of the basics like shooting, dribbling and crossing so the settling in argument is being generous. Obviously he is better than what we've seen but it is worrying just how bad he looks. We're not asking him to play a different sport. Cant say I am at all optimistic about him!