Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Blim

Re: Unai Emery

Post by Blim »

For me, Jury is still out, he seems very defensive in his tactics as if he is afraid to unleash them, let's hope that will chance sooner than later. He needs to step up and get this lot firing otherwise he will be given his marching orders. I just wish he would stop persisting in playing Xhaka who is a walking liability however I am pleased he has got the measure of that lazy git Ozil.

augie

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:44 am
augie wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:36 am
Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:29 pm
With a more competent manager, we'd be 6 points better off with those dropped points against the bottlejob Scum, bottom of the league Watford, and the shittest Man U team in years.

He's just not good enough!

No he's not, but when I read or hear fans say that they are pining for the French cock it makes my piss boil - emery is not the man to take us forward and without doubt we are underperforming, but let's not lose sight of the fact that we have lost one league game so far this season. Emery' football has now regressed to the boring level of wenger, but let's not lose sight that when we had winger we had a man who demanded (and got) total control of the club, so we would still have ozil and his other overpaid average shite in the team if he was still here
That was exactly what I was thinking, there are other sides with more shit going on than at our club and as a result, we are right behind city with a top 4 place there for the taking. Whether you like Emery or not, if he delivers top 4 the club won't get rid of him.

Comparing Emery with Wenger is understandable though, it would appear that Emery is very stubborn with certain things like backing Xhaka for captain even though he makes mistakes on the pitch every game.

With regards to the football, we can't have it both ways and I was happy with a dull 1-0 win and relative stability in defence over the chaos we saw vs Villa.

Have to say that I wasn't - when le cock overseen woefully shit performances it was because he and he alone had amassed some of the most useless/shit players ever to play for the club :roll: Emery has better players to work with and should be serving up a better product on the pitch - I take your point that if he let the reigns off and we were all over the shop defensively he would be crucified by the fans, but surely there is a middle ground on this ? A large part of the problem centres around xhaka - as long as he retains xhaka in the team he will never have the support and confidence of the fans cos that has gone too far now, but I also feel that he is having to be tactically more defensive cos of xhaka's shortcomings and the other players have to be there to help cover him ? I believe (whether I am right or wrong) that torreira would be more mobile and disciplined in the CDM role, and the team would have more confidence with him behind them, but unless xhaka picks up an injury that sidelines him for a few LEAGUE games (allowing Torreira to play the position with the first team), I guess we will never know cos the c.unt has emery's confidence for some unfathomable reason :?

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

augie wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:52 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:44 am
augie wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:36 am
Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:29 pm
With a more competent manager, we'd be 6 points better off with those dropped points against the bottlejob Scum, bottom of the league Watford, and the shittest Man U team in years.

He's just not good enough!

No he's not, but when I read or hear fans say that they are pining for the French cock it makes my piss boil - emery is not the man to take us forward and without doubt we are underperforming, but let's not lose sight of the fact that we have lost one league game so far this season. Emery' football has now regressed to the boring level of wenger, but let's not lose sight that when we had winger we had a man who demanded (and got) total control of the club, so we would still have ozil and his other overpaid average shite in the team if he was still here
That was exactly what I was thinking, there are other sides with more shit going on than at our club and as a result, we are right behind city with a top 4 place there for the taking. Whether you like Emery or not, if he delivers top 4 the club won't get rid of him.

Comparing Emery with Wenger is understandable though, it would appear that Emery is very stubborn with certain things like backing Xhaka for captain even though he makes mistakes on the pitch every game.

With regards to the football, we can't have it both ways and I was happy with a dull 1-0 win and relative stability in defence over the chaos we saw vs Villa.

Have to say that I wasn't - when le cock overseen woefully shit performances it was because he and he alone had amassed some of the most useless/shit players ever to play for the club :roll: Emery has better players to work with and should be serving up a better product on the pitch - I take your point that if he let the reigns off and we were all over the shop defensively he would be crucified by the fans, but surely there is a middle ground on this ? A large part of the problem centres around xhaka - as long as he retains xhaka in the team he will never have the support and confidence of the fans cos that has gone too far now, but I also feel that he is having to be tactically more defensive cos of xhaka's shortcomings and the other players have to be there to help cover him ? I believe (whether I am right or wrong) that torreira would be more mobile and disciplined in the CDM role, and the team would have more confidence with him behind them, but unless xhaka picks up an injury that sidelines him for a few LEAGUE games (allowing Torreira to play the position with the first team), I guess we will never know cos the c.unt has emery's confidence for some unfathomable reason :?
It's more of being tactically inept in the case of Emery rather than having a pragmatic playing style. We have players that when on form and if picked in the right positions, can play free-flowing football. So agreed with you there.

The second half was disappointing as a spectacle, but look at the bigger picture. We are 3rd with no games against big teams until December. There is no excuse not to push on from here.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

I agree it is good to be 3rd but although we haven't got any "big" teams for a while but our upcoming fixtures will be tough.

Sheffield United away - tough, Liverpool struggled there
Crystal Palace home - tough, one of the form teams right now
Wolves home - even tougher, they are back to their best
Leicester away - I can't see us getting more than a point here

nut flush gooner

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:12 am
I agree it is good to be 3rd but although we haven't got any "big" teams for a while but our upcoming fixtures will be tough.

All of those games we should win with our current squad, again its a question of whether Emery can put the best team out for each particular situation. Sheff Utd is on a PL heater, Palace has been crap this season their position is false, Wolves now have the problem of Europa with a small squad. Even Leicester are punching above their weight.

We will have all our defenders match fit after the international break. Bellerin, Holding and Tierney should make a massive difference.

As a group of players this is the best squad we have had for years, add to that several young players who are looking very good as prospects. Only the Manager can fuck it up for top 4 nothing else.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:19 am
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:10 pm
This cup team seems to be capable of following Emery's instructions properly. Even passing it out from the back didn't look as hazardous as the normal starting back four. The difference I noticed was that they rarely played it across the penalty area and played it forward more. Cellabos picking he ball up off the CB's more effective than Xhaka. Torreira gave the ball away a few times but fortunately the midfield did its job properly.

It's either one of three things, the usual starting defence and midfield are incapable of following the managers instructions, or he yields more influence over the young players eager and hungry to play in the premier league, or, he's more comfortable managing in European and cup competitions than he is in league matches. If it is the latter how about the club take the innovative step of having a first team coach for league games and another for european/ cup games. With games every 3-4 days maybe this is the way forward.

Or maybe it is down to the fact that the opposition in those cup games in nowhere near premier league level and sit off us more and are afraid to squeeze up on us ? I like watching the cup teams with the younger players in it but we have to be realistic about the quality of the teams they are facing
Maybe thats a bit disrespectful to the teams in the Europa League. They are there because they finished in similar positions in their own domestic leagues as we did in ours. Eintract Frankfurt could survive in the Premier League. Notts Forest were top of the Championship yet we rolled them over. Standard Liege could probably survive in the Premier League. Either we are too good to be in the Europa League or the Premier League is head and shoulders above any league in Europe.
Some credit has to go to the manager in these competitions for picking the players and tactics, as much as he gets criticised for his errors in picking players and tactics in the league matches. I've said it before Emery seems to be more confident in his team selection in cup competitions than league matches. If he can bridge that gap with Arsenal, he'll become a top level coach.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:34 am
Gunner Rob wrote:

All of those games we should win with our current squad, again its a question of whether Emery can put the best team out for each particular situation. Sheff Utd is on a PL heater, Palace has been crap this season their position is false, Wolves now have the problem of Europa with a small squad. Even Leicester are punching above their weight.

We will have all our defenders match fit after the international break. Bellerin, Holding and Tierney should make a massive difference.

As a group of players this is the best squad we have had for years, add to that several young players who are looking very good as prospects. Only the Manager can fuck it up for top 4 nothing else.

Think you've maybe got your red tinteds on as far as Wolves and Leicester are concerned tbh. Wolves are quite capable of getting a draw and Leicester will fight a damn sight harder than we will up at their place.

nut flush gooner

Jock Gooner wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:55 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

Think you've maybe got your red tinteds on as far as Wolves and Leicester are concerned tbh. Wolves are quite capable of getting a draw and Leicester will fight a damn sight harder than we will up at their place.
Why? With a full strength side we are a better team than both of them.

Wolves with their Europa League commitments and small squad will be stretched to the limit, yes they will get some good results like City away, but so did Palace last season, should we be frightened of them as well? That sounds a bit xhaka esque. :) :D

We played Leicester away in the middle of a horrific run last season, they beat us in Wengers last season the year before. That aside we don't have a bad record at their place. I reiterate this is the best squad we have had for years, it still needs strengthening in certain positions, but as I said before its up to the Manager to pick the right team and use the right tactics for every situation. That is my concern about him right now rather than other teams we face in the coming weeks.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:41 am
Jock Gooner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

Wolves with their Europa League commitments and small squad will be stretched to the limit, yes they will get some good results like City away, but so did Palace last season, should we be frightened of them as well? That sounds a bit xhaka esque. :) :D
Why? really?.... :lol: Christ have you been watching us this season. We have no idea which side is going to turn up in a match although I can understand your confidence having just wasted 90 minutes of my life sitting through the Bournemouth game. Which part of that performance or even manure led you to believe we would steam roller the likes of Leicester. Yes we should be beating the Wolves and Leicesters of the world but we have to turn up AND put in a performance as these teams are no longer the easy touches of the past and we are far from being the team that we once were. I would suggest that you are either underestimating them or overestimating us a bit. Frightened of them...don't be silly half our lot are frightened of their own shadow anyway :lol: All I'm saying is these games are far from a given.

nut flush gooner

Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:51 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

Why? really?.... :lol: Christ have you been watching us this season. We have no idea which side is going to turn up in a match although I can understand your confidence having just wasted 90 minutes of my life sitting through the Bournemouth game. Which part of that performance or even manure led you to believe we would steam roller the likes of Leicester. Yes we should be beating the Wolves and Leicesters of the world but we have to turn up AND put in a performance as these teams are no longer the easy touches of the past and we are far from being the team that we once were. I would suggest that you are either underestimating them or overestimating us a bit. Frightened of them...don't be silly half our lot are frightened of their own shadow anyway :lol: All I'm saying is these games are far from a given.
If 90 minutes versus Bournemouth bothers you, do you not remember the mid to late 80s? Youd be suicidal if every game was like back then.

Yes, we are playing crap right now, but the team has yet to click and despite that, we are third.

nut flush gooner

Jock Gooner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

If 90 minutes versus Bournemouth bothers you, do you not remember the mid to late 80s? Youd be suicidal if every game was like back then.

Yes, we are playing crap right now, but the team has yet to click and despite that, we are third.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:25 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

I remember the entire 80s very well thank you as I started going in 78/79 but what has that to do with your reply :? I stand by my statement that the likes of Wolves and Leicester are not just straight forward wins as you say especially given our crap performances - not just of late but the many many of them I have witnessed since Dick took charge. Not that it has anything to do with what we are discussing but I would bite your arm off for a return to 80s football if we were still at Highbury rather than the soulless bowl.

nut flush gooner

Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:46 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

I remember the entire 80s very well thank you as I started going in 78/79 but what has that to do with your reply :? I stand by my statement that the likes of Wolves and Leicester are not just straight forward wins as you say especially given our crap performances - not just of late but the many many of them I have witnessed since Dick took charge. Not that it has anything to do with what we are discussing but I would bite your arm off for a return to 80s football if we were still at Highbury rather than the soulless bowl.
I never said they are straightforward, I said we are a better side. I am hoping with a bit more of a British core in the squad now we can match the undoubted quality with a bit of heart.

I would go back to Highbury in a heartbeat as well, but the way they redeveloped the ground in the early 90s left us with no option but to leave. You say the bowl is soulless there have been a few times when its been jumping. Remember, Highbury wasn't great atmosphere wise when we got rid of the terracing.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I have to agree with Jock on this Nutty, arguably we have much better individual players in almost all positions but we have less discipline, organisation and more than anything fight when the chips are down. We have definitely improved at times in the fight department but we are still incredibly fragile and it doesnt take a lot to knock us off our stride or make us drop deeper and deeper.

For our fragile snowflakes it can turn from free flowing attack to defensive chaos in seconds and whether we like to admit it or not there individuals in both the Wolves and Leicester specifically teams who are more than capable of inducing said chaos. I try to never refer to 'ancient' history in terms of the Arsenal and how we used to play these days because with 15 years since our last league triumph we are a far cry from those teams and I prefer to live in the now rather than what is quickly becoming the distant past :rubchin:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:45 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:46 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

I never said they are straightforward, I said we are a better side. I am hoping with a bit more of a British core in the squad now we can match the undoubted quality with a bit of heart.

I would go back to Highbury in a heartbeat as well, but the way they redeveloped the ground in the early 90s left us with no option but to leave. You say the bowl is soulless there have been a few times when its been jumping. Remember, Highbury wasn't great atmosphere wise when we got rid of the terracing.

No, in fairness, you didn't say "straightforward" but you did say "All of those games we should win with our current squad" which imo aren't necessarily games that we "should" win with our current team, particularly Leicester away - that's all. I'm just not as optimistic as you.