Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
oaodan

Re: Unai Emery

Post by oaodan »

I didnt post at the time but there was completely mad stuff against Standard Liege.Liege broke on the wings on a number of occasions and ran from there own half to the edge/or just inside our box. The fullbacks let them run unchallenged, obviously instructed to retreat to their own box and defend from there.It's crazy to engage the opposition where you can give away a pen or dangerous free kick rather than engage up the field. There was one mad one with Tierney or Bellerin where they could be seen running back to our box while some guy jogged up the wing with the ball unchallenged.I never saw it before on a football pitch.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Emery is not the man to manage us..He can't see the most glaringly obvious best starting eleven. Holding is better than either central defender.Torriera is better than Xhaka or Willock. Tierney is miles better than Kolasnic..If he can't or won't get the basics right what hope have we. ?

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

NickF

Post by NickF »

Bradywasking wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:02 pm
Emery is not the man to manage us..He can't see the most glaringly obvious best starting eleven. Holding is better than either central defender.Torriera is better than Xhaka or Willock. Tierney is miles better than Kolasnic..If he can't or won't get the basics right what hope have we. ?
Isn't that the problem though? If Holding is better than the central defenders then that really doesnt say a lot.

Not saying Emery is the right man for the job but the defense was sh*t under the last manager and is sh*t with the current manager. Get another manager and it will still be sh*t. There is a reason for that...

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Jury still out? :roll:
He’s a bastard idiot!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:07 pm
The only thing different about late-Wenger era Arsenal and Emery's Arsenal is that the latter has added the evidenty calamitous element of playing it out from the back.
^^ this this this. 8)

This complete stupidity of playing it out from the back reeks of being the latest trendy idea some stat monkey came up with at a training camp. It's complete fucking madness. The theory of "kick it long you lose posession more often" is apparently the thinking behind this gash idea. Well fuck it I'd rather lose posession 70 yards up the pitch in their half than lose posession in our own fucking box ffs! :banghead: :roll:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Reluctantly I am now starting to turn against Emery.

he just seems to have lost the plot this season - I will continue to give him the benefit of the doubt though until the players returning are integrated into the first team.

I still think though that the problem lies a lot deeper than Emery - Kroenke is still very very unlikely to sack Emery anytime soon.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

In the last 18 months we've replaced the manager, the entire coaching set up and about 80% of the playing personnel and absolutely nothing has changed (we've arguably gotten worse).

That is a serious feat to be fair.

augie

Post by augie »

Bradywasking wrote:

Nowadays football fans all over the world will on occasion have a pop at their manager for their tactical incompetence and that is a fair enough reason imo - however if a manager is incapable of recognising basic flaws in his team selections, then that is taking incompetence to a whole other level. Tierney and Torreira should be automatic starters imo, and it defies logic that neither started. On recent match form martinelli should be starting ahead of pepe too.
The one position that I am very hesitant to commit to is the belief that holding should be our number 1 centre back - in case some of you have forgotten or are not aware of, but holding has made a total of 31 premier league appearances since he joined us, and that imo is far too small a sample size to be convinced that he is the answer. He was playing really well last season when he got injured, but I remember people getting premature about mustafi when he first joined us and we can see how that worked out.

Anyway emery has to go and go now. The one thing I don't want is another drawn out saga where disillusion is rampant at every home game, and where a bad atmosphere surrounds the club again. The board need to be ruthless and act fast

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

augie wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:23 am
Bradywasking wrote:

Nowadays football fans all over the world will on occasion have a pop at their manager for their tactical incompetence and that is a fair enough reason imo - however if a manager is incapable of recognising basic flaws in his team selections, then that is taking incompetence to a whole other level. Tierney and Torreira should be automatic starters imo, and it defies logic that neither started. On recent match form martinelli should be starting ahead of pepe too.
The one position that I am very hesitant to commit to is the belief that holding should be our number 1 centre back - in case some of you have forgotten or are not aware of, but holding has made a total of 31 premier league appearances since he joined us, and that imo is far too small a sample size to be convinced that he is the answer. He was playing really well last season when he got injured, but I remember people getting premature about mustafi when he first joined us and we can see how that worked out.

Anyway emery has to go and go now. The one thing I don't want is another drawn out saga where disillusion is rampant at every home game, and where a bad atmosphere surrounds the club again. The board need to be ruthless and act fast
I accept your point on Holding's experience Augie, however he is a better defender than Luiz and the disimproving Sokratis. He was an important part of the 22 game unbeaten run last season and was excellent in the 2017 FA Cup final. He should start before Sokratis or Luiz. That doesn't make him worldclass, just makes him the best option.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

augie wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:23 am
Bradywasking wrote:

by Board you mean Kroenke. and he won't. and there is the problem.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I listened to the match on R5L and it sounded glaringly obvious that the midfield simply didn't created. Dare I say it but last night we needed a player like Ramsey to roll up his sleeves and make runs from deep. Willock can do this but it sounded like he was instructed to hold back. Saka was ineffective and probably needs to be benched and come on as an impact sub.
Lacazette and Cellabos did have an impact but I think he was wrong to take Pepe off. By the sounds of it apart from the miss Pepe was our best player. Leave him on to finish 90 mins and his confidence will grow. Ozil wouldn't have made the difference last night, Torreira would have, Tierney would have and so would Bellerin and Holding. For a manager who has a reputation of studying the opposition he did not prepare the team well at all.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I reckon Emery is more likely to leave us for another job rather than wait around and get the sack. The Ozil situation and the fact that the young English players have come out and said that they rely on Freddie to interpret the manager's tactics must be extremely draining and frustrating for Emery. Despite his best intentions something isn't working for him.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

We had to endure 10 Loooooong Bad years of wenger in charge clinging on by his fingernails and over-sized delusional ego. We have a manager who is not better and perhaps in many ways worse than wenger with the sole exception is that wenger did actually 9and it pains me to admit this) win trophies. The thought of having to endure Unai Emery till the end of this season is bad enough, but Arsenal Fans need to ensure that he is shown the door in May if not before.

The replacement needs to have a very Good Track record AND have the full confidence of the fans, Emery was given the heave ho from PSG for apparently not being able to handle difficult players, whether that is true or not is irrelevant, what IS important is he (just as wenger did0 keeps making the same mistakes week in and week out, as if by persisting with Xhaka & co who are not nor ever will be good enough - That a miracle will occur and suddenly they and so the team will start showing positive results etc

I remember very clearly the day the news that wenger was leaving I actually sighed a Huge sigh of relief...then we were all waiting for the announcement of his replacement and when the rumours of Arteta were growing I was thinking "No!" please god Just Effing "No!"....when they announced it would be Emery, even though I knew little of him I thought okay let's give him a chance...That we have done and he has been found wanting...Sad but true..nothing would have pleased me more than him succeeding so that Arsenal FC could reclaim its place in the World of Football and all the old wounds from wenger's latter years be healed, but those wounds are gradually being re-opened and if the owners decide to carry on with Emery and the way he is not improving the team etc - Then I will walk away, I cannot and will not waste any more precious time on this Fiasco.

#EMERY OUT! :|

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

He was asked at the press conference last night if he knew what his best 11 was, he answered by talking about corners.

The guy’s a fucking moron. Get rid.