Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SydneyGooner

Re: Unai Emery

Post by SydneyGooner »

General wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:44 pm
Worth watching Adrian Clarke’s breakdown of the Palace game and the unprofessional attitude of Lacazette in the moments leading their penalty. He turned his back on play and was busy throwing a hissy fit for an alleged misplaced pass whiles Palace’s defender brings the ball out. This is pure hangover from the Wenger era and sheds further light on the challenges Emery is facing.

https://player.arsenal.com/video/analys ... ack-palace
I remember pointing this out during the match thread. As soon as I saw him do that I had a feeling that it was going to lead a chance or a goal for Palace.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Theres a massive difference between Instagram, Twitter ,online gooner and real life which I'm sure even a dumb football player like mr Xhaka knows only too well. He is playing the victim card like a true scouser. His attitude, and play tell me everything I need to know. If you are getting shit on social media then all you have to do is dont go on it. Fuck him!

Blim

Post by Blim »

I am beginning to think that Emery has lost the plot, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but he appears gutless. Time for him to depart methinks.

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

northbank123 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:41 pm

I think that Emery has done some pretty good things, and he is a very likeable bloke.
There we go its that word again likeable. Its the same word used by players about Xhaka they say he is liked in the dressing room.Is that why we appoint our manager and appoint a captain because they are likeable? Oh yeah Xhaka is shit but he makes us laugh in the dressing room so make him captain

Emery should have been fired 3 weeks into the job for this act alone

https://www.arsenal.com/news/granit-xha ... w-contract

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

Blim wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:00 am
I am beginning to think that Emery has lost the plot, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but he appears gutless. Time for him to depart methinks.
You are only beginning to think that now.Where were you last season?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

It is so obvious and plain to see that Emery isn't the person for the job, I like others hoped he could turn things around, halt the rot and stabilise the way we have been headed under ToF for over 10 years. I was willing to give him time, but it is glaringly obvious that no matter how much time or financial backing he was/is given, the outcome is Failure. Sad, but true, so rather than wait till May, we need him gone now. :?

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Poll DB? :lol:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Independent: A training ground source says members of #AFC squad ‘mercilessly take the piss out of’ Emery, with many of the club’s younger players now openly do impressions of him in a way that is a lot more cynical than light-hearted “good ebening”.
https://t.co/LPmpSTNj6C

Independent: Some players – including some of the more senior players – are “just not having” Emery. They wonder whether he’s even that good. There are plenty that doubt the tactics. Emery doesn’t seem to want to work on their weaknesses.

Independent: There is no current will to sack Emery, but many of the hierarchy do feel content they did not extend his contract in the summer. They are now just as content to decide on his future at the end of the season.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:07 am
It is so obvious and plain to see that Emery isn't the person for the job, I like others hoped he could turn things around, halt the rot and stabilise the way we have been headed under ToF for over 10 years. I was willing to give him time, but it is glaringly obvious that no matter how much time or financial backing he was/is given, the outcome is Failure. Sad, but true, so rather than wait till May, we need him gone now. :?
That's the thing isn't it, we all hoped that he was the answer and it's difficult to have to admit that he's not and worse still that he is clearly out of his depth. There has been no progression with the team under him and were it not for Auba's goals he would have been finished months ago. We can all see this now but we are in the hands of Sanllehi / Edu who will have to make a case to wiggy and christ knows how that pans out.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:47 pm
augie wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:47 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:32 am
right I am going to hold my hands up here and say I was wrong about Emery.

I have been one of the few on here to defend him, despite growing evidence that he is not up to the job.
last night I finally realised that he hasn't got a clue. For me it comes to down to the defence. He just does not know how to set a team up to defend.
I have probably only been patient with him this long, because Wenger's teams were so bad at defending, I had got used to watching such rubbish! :D

But last night was just unbelievable. To let academy players just run through and score FIVE times against our more experienced team was embarrassing. Emery has managed to make our already crap defence even worse than before! :oops:

I was previously thinking that maybe Emery should be given until Christmas to sort things out, this morning I think he should be given until the next international break. 2 league games where we need a minimum of 4 points, if he doesnt get them then he should go. Mourinho has said he is available. I say get him in and get him to sort out the defence. For those that dont want him well he never stays anywhere for long anyway, so I would think he will only be here 2 years, but that will be time for him to sort the defence out and get us competing again.

If this c.unt comes in as manager of AFC then you can automatically dispense of auba, ozil, smith-rowe, Willock, saka and a few more into the bargain. Look at the type of football moaninho teams play and the type of players he likes, and you will see that talented ballers is not really his thing :roll: We would have a team full of matic type players, and if you think that emery has lost the dressing room, wait and see how long it will take to have 75% of the squad against him :roll:

I really, really don't want this c.unt anywhere near my club, and I don't care how bad things have got, they aint got bad enough to justify appointing that wa.nker :evil:
Absolutely disagree with this. He's an impact manager and we need a manager who will have an impact. In his first season at utd he got Lukaku scoring and won both the league cup and europa league. In his second season he finished in second place behind an outstanding man city team. That was with defenders like smalling, jones at his disposal. It is absolute rubbish to say we'd have a team of matic's. He never settled in manchester which was a massive issue. He lived in the lowry for the 2 years he was there. At least in London he is settled. He'd also work twice as hard to prove that he's as good as wenger and would be desperate to land a league title and champions league.
At this moment in time I believe we have a top 3 squad. If we had a manager who could set up the defence and leave the attack we'd be challengining for the title. Scroing isn't the problem, keeping hold of a lead is. He went to inter milan, won the league and champions league, went to real madrid and won the league returned to chelski, won the league. The guy is serial title winner. Whether he could do it for us who knows? Emery certainly cannot, mourinho will at least give us a fighting chance with this current squad of players.

When he has the players he can deliver a decent football playing team.

The point is that the portugese c.unt wont leave the attack alone - ask any knowledgeable manure fan and they will tell you that the football under moaninho was ultra defensive and devoid of all flair. You can with some justification argue that he needed to play that way given the lack of quality defenders at his disposal, but he would have the same problem with us and with counter it the same way. This is exactly the reason why I say that you can automatically bin players like smith-rowe, auba, saka, ozil etc if this c.unt took over - I understand and usually support the policy of building from the back (not under this c.unt though), but if you want him and support his methods, then you have to be willing to get rid of the skill/flair players we have, and totally buy into what he is doing

I love when people roll out stats listing moaninho's successes, but conveniently ignore a huge factor in that success ……….. MONEY. Forget about his ONE spectacular season at porto and look at every success after that and you will see a guy whose spending far exceeded every one of his domestic rivals - I'm not saying that spending money makes winning easy, but it sure as shit makes it easier. We were the main team in the premier league until abramovich rolled up his tanks on our lawn firing £50 notes at everyone, and we simply could not compete with them despite how good our team was.

You refer to manure "success" under him, but if anything I would say that his term there is proof that he is finished as a top manager - you say that he finished second to a very good citeeh team, but that doesn't tell the full story does it ? The guy spent money there like it was going out of fashion but to what end ? Look at the players he left behind - if I am being generous I would say most are average, but if I am being realistic I would say that most are shit and nowhere near the level required for a club of their status and ambitions. Is there even one player that he bought that is important to that team ? Bear in mind that he spent £390m when he was their manager.

Finally, and I am working off the cuff here so could be way off, but I don't think that he signed many "flair footballers" and improved them - to me his successes were built around players like pikey terry, dogbreath, matic, fat lumpalard etc, and they are all either defensive players or functional players, and for me top managers improve players and lift them up a level or 2, which is something I don't think he has ever done with proper ballers

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

A few different points :
1. SteveO and NB123, I certainly have not forgotten the absolute horror story that Wenger left behind....not just the playing staff, but the whole moribund and dysfunctional culture at the Club. No one expected a quick fix, no matter who was appointed, with most people expecting the best part of three full seasons to see us as anywhere near right. However, I expect to see a positive progression to have some optimism about, and certainly after a manager is well into his second season at the Club. Anyone with even half a footballing brain, can see that Emery is lost and that we're regressing. I also think that he's lost the dressing room. A manager doesn't come back from where he is now. I'll never forget what Wenger did to our Club and the dire state he left behind, but we can't continue to view Emery through the prism of what he inherited. We often complained on here that a better manager could do more with what Wenger had....well this bloke hasn't.

2. SteveO, I absolutely didn't want Rodgers as our manager, when his name was mooted. However, it isn't just the start of this season that's gone well for him, he made an immediate improvement from virtually day one. Also, I wasn't comparing the squads they inherited, I was comparing the squads they have now. I believe that we have a better squad, but a worse manager. You're right, far too early to call Rodgers a world beater...I didn't, I just said that with hindsight, he'd have been a better bet than Emery and was performing very well...and I'm very happy to see where the two sides end up in May. Might be interesting to see what happens next week.

3. I think Jock has said it all about the Xhaka situation. I've never booed an Arsenal player and even though I'm not sure that I've ever had such a low opinion of a player at the Arsenal, I haven't booed him. He's way beyond crap, but the fact that he's on the pitch is the fault of the manager. I've said many times on here that since early last season, nothing gave me more cause for concern about Emery, than his belief in Xhaka. I simply can't understand how anybody with any appreciation of the game, can rate the oaf. I've also said that his adherence to Xhaka would finish Emery off, although I didn't expect it this way.

Jock is right that a crowd that was sick to death of this player, yet hadn't openly booed him before (ironic cheers when he was substituted on occasion, but fair enough), were like a tinderbox and Xhaka's antics were the spark. He should have apologised quickly, but has refused to and has dug his heels in. Social media threats to him and his family are disgraceful and inexcusable, but had Xhaka done what was necessary immediately, then at least some oil would have been poured on troubled waters. I don't get the mental health stuff from the Club and apparently Xhaka isn't happy about it. If it was done against his wishes, that's outrageous. Dick is obviously completely weak, because if the players are insisting that Xhaka remains as captain (which is apparently the case), then they have more power than the manager and that's a disaster situation.

4. Whatever anyone thinks of Mourinho, I'd be more than surprised if he were to turn up. The Club clearly want a puppet coach a la Emery, with Raul and Edu pulling the strings. No way would Jose accept that and if he did, the sparks would fly in no time. Can't see our board appointing a strong character, sadly.

5. We is fucked !

oaodan

Post by oaodan »

I would get the argument a couple of years ago, but I think most here would now drive our supposed "flair players" to the airport if we could get a pikey, a terry, a dogbreath, or fat frank. A few of those are exactly what this club needs, terrible to say but that's it. Our flair players are up there with the myth still spouted by pundits that we play great football or are devastating on our day. I'd swap the lot for a Martin Keown etc. Dunno about Mourinho but I would take shit football for a while if I saw a defence or structure taking shape.Or some old fashioned Arsenal values.I think people know it's a big job so we wouldn't be as deluded as Utd were, I don't think anybody expects to compete for the league immediately. Utd fans thought they could with a shit squad.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:14 am
Poll DB? :lol:
I'll stick a poll right up ya siddy me old mate. :box:

:D :wink:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Football London: #AFC squad struggling to grasp Emery’s instructions with young players particularly perplexed by a manager that some are understood to feel engages with them too infrequently and without the clarity they require at an early age.
https://t.co/bHsaIV9xWn

General

Post by General »

The clamour for Mourinho is very disturbing.