Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
goonersid

Re: Unai Emery

Post by goonersid »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:08 am
Breaking: It is expected that Emery will be relieved of his duties imminently, with assistant first-team coach Freddie Ljungberg the obvious candidate to take control of the team on a temporary basis [@David_Ornstein]
https://t.co/NOF4Yb2g3i
This would be my preferred option, the fans will support Freddie and any player who thinks he can win a personality contest against him, will feel the wrath of the fans, as will any players who appear not to be giving their all!
Let’s get this done asap and hopefully Allegri or PV to come in during the summer!

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

goonersid wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:20 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
Breaking: It is expected that Emery will be relieved of his duties imminently, with assistant first-team coach Freddie Ljungberg the obvious candidate to take control of the team on a temporary basis [@David_Ornstein]
This would be my preferred option, the fans will support Freddie and any player who thinks he can win a personality contest against him, will feel the wrath of the fans, as will any players who appear not to be giving their all!
Let’s get this done asap and hopefully Allegri or PV to come in during the summer!
If Freddie is left in charge until the summer then it's going to another disaster

His first big test will be Xhaxa. I'll expect him to tell him to fuck off straight away.
Last edited by IW8Goalmachine on Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:25 am
goonersid wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:
If Freddie is left in charge until the summer then it's going to another disaster
:roll: Oh ffs!

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

goonersid wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:29 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
goonersid wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:
No one is defending emery here but if you think that a rookie manager is going to turn things around then you're kidding yourself.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Been sacked apparently. The club will confirm soon. Freddie in until the end of the season according to a report from France.

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
goonersid wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Have to say sid that I agree 100% with our galway buddy that appointing anyone until the summer will be a disaster - this club needs clarity and a leader with authority right now, and giving a guy until the summer is no sign of confidence in him and players will pounce on that straight away. It used to be that appointing a guy on a temporary basis whilst he proves himself could work, but I think that the "experiment" in old shatford of appointing a former hero only for it to backfire, would/should make clubs very wary of going the same route.

To be honest I really cant see the benefit of waiting until the summer unless they 100% have signed up their preferred choice to come in then. Any notion that there might be more options for the job then, is totally disregarding the possibility that there will also be more job openings for these managers to consider - I would be fairly confident that IF the barca, real madrid and manure managers last until end of this season, it will then see them replaced next summer, plus Bayern too will likely be appointing a new manager then. I suggested last week that any club considering a change of manager should do so immediately cos it is likely that us, manure, everton and the shammers will all be in the market for a new manager in the coming weeks, and the clubs that act first will have the best options

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:33 am
goonersid wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
goonersid wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:
No one is defending emery here but if you think that a rookie manager is going to turn things around then you're kidding yourself.

He may be a good guy but giving Freddie control until the summer is a gamble. The club is in a mess right now and to be able to take some of the positive action that needs to be taken really needs him to have a stronger mandate than just being caretaker until the summer. That said it would still be an improvement on Dick being in charge. I don't see much difference in Freddie or PV getting the job as both lack real experience and we need somebody who knows what the fu.ck they are doing to sort this shit out. We have a chance to go after Allegri right now which would require some persuasion as well as the promise of some sensible financial backing but if we don't at least try then we are even more clueless than the current activity suggests. If he says no then it's starting to look like the end of top tier management for us.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Finally the Invincibles to the rescue! :barscarf:

Freddie needs to get Keown or Adams in to sort the defence

augie

Post by augie »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:46 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
goonersid wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
goonersid wrote:

He may be a good guy but giving Freddie control until the summer is a gamble. The club is in a mess right now and to be able to take some of the positive action that needs to be taken really needs him to have a stronger mandate than just being caretaker until the summer. That said it would still be an improvement on Dick being in charge. I don't see much difference in Freddie or PV getting the job as both lack real experience and we need somebody who knows what the fu.ck they are doing to sort this shit out. We have a chance to go after Allegri right now which would require some persuasion as well as the promise of some sensible financial backing but if we don't at least try then we are even more clueless than the current activity suggests. If he says no then it's starting to look like the end of top tier management for us.

Freddie and arteta have ZERO managerial experience between them - while not top level experience, PV4 has 5 years management experience and sometimes managing at that level is the perfect schooling for learning to manage at a higher level

That said, allegri should be an absolute brainer IF we could get him

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Those who have Athletic, good article here form Ornstien, gunnerblog and Amy Lawrence.

https://theathletic.co.uk/1289739/2019/ ... odel-coach

Every manager is a gamble , look at Lampard doing well with the kids why can't Freddie do the same , he clearly has the respect of them already.

Freddie won't take any crap either , he didn't on the field.

https://theathletic.co.uk/1289739/2019/ ... odel-coach

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:55 am
Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:46 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
goonersid wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

Freddie and arteta have ZERO managerial experience between them - while not top level experience, PV4 has 5 years management experience and sometimes managing at that level is the perfect schooling for learning to manage at a higher level

That said, allegri should be an absolute brainer IF we could get him
I guess Freddie has had some junior team managerial experience but certainly not at first team level. I now PV has been in it since 2016 with NY and then Nice since 2018 but for some reason I just have a gut feel that he is still a bit of a gamble too. I think I'm struggling to accept the alternatives until we've gone all out for Allegri, after that then it may well be PV time. Whoever it is I'd still rather see them start immediately than let the likes of Xhaka take the piss. Too late.........

HE'S GONE
Last edited by Jock Gooner on Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Sacked. Now confirmed by the club. Phew.

We announce today that the decision has been taken to part company with our head coach Unai Emery and his coaching team.

Speaking on behalf of the Arsenal board and our owners Kroenke Sports & Entertainment, Josh Kroenke said: “Our most sincere thanks go to Unai and his colleagues who were unrelenting in their efforts to get the club back to competing at the level we all expect and demand. We wish Unai and his team nothing but future success.”

The decision has been taken due to results and performances not being at the level required.

We have asked Freddie Ljungberg to take responsibility for the first team as interim head coach. We have full confidence in Freddie to take us forward.

The search for a new head coach is underway and we will make a further announcement when that process is complete.

Copyright 2019 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.arsenal.com as the source.

augie

Post by augie »

At long last the club have shown some willingness to be pro-active and end this malaise - gets interesting now

Naki_Gooner

Post by Naki_Gooner »

He's out.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Feel sorry for him but he had to go. Just not the man to address the many problems we have. A shame but most of us with brains that function knew it might take one two or even three appointments to drag this club back from the shit that Wenger and the Lizard left behind and build us back up to being a top team. And it will have to be a man that can do that with the albatross of wiggy wrapped around his neck.